↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > HELP - DAB
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
shaun.mobile wrote:

Thanks for the pics warping, how easy is it to get the headlining out?

Dead easy, just pull out the white plastic plugs around the edge of the headlining. Bear in mind mine is a 300tdi but I cant see the puma being different.
Post #214376 26th Feb 2013 1:16am
barbel jim

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Tonga Green
Facing a bit of a dilemma. I know everything is soon going to be dab and fm reception is already grim in some areas. In order to achieve what the set up I want realistically I need a new head unit. The great question is do I go for one with built in dab, or another analog one, and have dab as an add on later ??? Seems logical to do it now, but technology moves so fast, the worry being a dab device will be so much better in a couple of years. How good are the current dab's. anybody have any experience with alpine units? As this would my brand of choice?
Post #214377 26th Feb 2013 2:09am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Current DAB radios aren't great IMO a the moment especially for multimedia. You can ad DAB to and existing HU IIRC if you search on E-bay. I think it uses the standard antenna but picks up DAB. Have a look. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #214409 26th Feb 2013 11:14am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Can't help with Alpine I'm afraid, the JVC units are in their second generation though and are very good. JVC have been leading the field in DAB support for a while IMV, in fact they were the only manufacturer offering a decent range of DAB units a couple of years ago when I made the change. IMV you are far better going for a "proper" DAB unit rather than a bolt on repeater type. Aside from the practical aspects of having another unit to find a home for you just don't get the same functionality.

As an example, the JVC head units (and I assume all the other decent ones) will automatically switch between DAB and FM on radio stations that support both. I listen to Radio 4 a lot of the time in the car, if I leave it on FM and it finds a DAB signal it will automatically switch to DAB Radio 4. If I go through a DAB dead spot and it loses the signal, it automatically switches to FM until the DAB signal returns when it switches back.

Using a unit that takes a digital signal, decodes it, encodes it to FM, broadcasts it to another unit that decodes it... is never going to give the best experience. If you're going to go for a DAB setup going into it in a "half hearted" manner will probably just leave you disappointed with the results. I went the JVC route a couple of years ago when I fitted one to Pam's 90. I was so impressed that I then fitted an identical setup to my Range Rover and then fitted another to my challenge motor. All 3 setups have been spot on and I've not regretted going down that route. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #214435 26th Feb 2013 2:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12