↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > apple malware ... it's started ....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
apple malware ... it's started ....
Post #213175 22nd Feb 2013 10:17am
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #213176 22nd Feb 2013 10:37am
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Rolling Eyes Can you get any sort of antivirus software for iPads ? An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #213178 22nd Feb 2013 10:42am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Not really sure what relation the subject title has to do with the article linked ?

There have been a few vulnerabilities found with Java and Flash over the last year or so. Java in particular has proved to be something of a Trojan Horse on operating systems/Browsers. Apple, Microsoft and Mozilla have all implemented blocks to prevent older versions of Java from running on their OS/Browsers but it seems that every new "patched" version of Java has new vulnerabilities.

Oracle are rapidly losing credibility as a result of this as more and more vendors are either blocking Java from running or urging users to remove it from their OS/Browsers altogether. Oracle knew about the original problems in April 2012 but failed to respond until August when it became widely documented. Since then they've released a number of "fixes" but each fix has later turned out to have vulnerabilities.

The basic rule is that whatever OS and Browser combination you are using remove/block Java from it. If you find that you really need Java for sites that you visit then make sure you have the latest Java plug in. There aren't that many sites that rely on Java so for the vast majority of users Java is just an extra potential exploit that is best turned off. For most operating systems you can disable Java in the control panel/settings, including Windows and Mac OS. For most browsers you can turn java off selectively (browser asks for permission to run java each time) or permanently. If you're daft enough to still be using Internet Explorer as your browser you will need to uninstall Java as IE bypasses the Windows control panel settings.

If you do need Java in your browser, on Windows and Mac OS make sure you turn the security control in your Java control panel to maximum. Consider only turning Java on for the specific sites you need it for and then turn it off afterwards. If you're using IE, try a better browser - Chrome, Safari, Firefox, whatever UI takes your fancy.

Note that disabling Java is not the same as disabling Javascript, Javascript will work fine without Java. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #213186 22nd Feb 2013 10:54am
davew

GUM97 wrote:
Rolling Eyes Can you get any sort of antivirus software for iPads ?

One of the reasons that Flash and Java (and any other method of running arbitrary compiled code) are not enabled on iOS devices is that they present too high a risk. The built in "sandbox" system of iOS means that no application can access data outside it's own environment. As long as you are not running a jailbroken version of iOS there is no need for "antivirus" on an iOS device. There is a safeguard in place that ensures that the only software that can run on an iOS device is software that comes from the App Store, hence Java and Flash are both unavailable as they are both designed to run software that originates from the internet on an adhoc basis.

iOS can be frustrating sometimes due to the compartmentalisation of it's apps, for example one of my apps would run a lot slicker if it could do on iOS what I can do on the Android app - send and read SMS messages without user intervention - BUT on the plus side that means that no iOS app can access my address book, call people, send SMS messages, send emails without my express permission each time. This is one of the strengths of iOS although it's also somewhat of a weakness as it does lead to a "Apple as Big Brother" mentality that is at the same time wholly justified and wholly necessary (IMV) on a device that has the ability to make phone calls, send text messages and so on. Imagine a piece of Malware that you loaded on your phone that could make "quiet" calls to premium phone numbers, send the contents of your address book to it's "home", send spam SMS texts to everyone in your address book etc...

Every app on the Apple App Store has to go through peer review at Apple before it's made available. Part of that process is there to check that the app is not trying to breach privacy guidelines and that it isn't using "undocumented" APIs - in other words the app is only using functionality it is allowed to. Any app that tried to bypass the operating system or use "hidden" parts of the operating system will be rejected.

So, in short, there should never be a need for "antivirus" on an iOS device unless it's Jailbroken - in which case you're on your own ! http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #213198 22nd Feb 2013 11:35am
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Question answered Thumbs Up
Post #213199 22nd Feb 2013 11:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
davew

You can use any of the GSM enabled iPads for 3G. It doesn't actually matter if the SIM has voice capability or not you're better off getting a data only SIM financially though. We've found O2 3G coverage to be pretty poor when compared to Three in remote areas and edge doesn't really cut it.

I'd look at Three (or GiffGaff if you find the O2 3G coverage in your area OK). I use a Three PAYG SIM in my iPad as they do a 3 month SIM for £20 that I've never used all the data on but I only use mine on 3G when we're camping so only need a couple of PAYG SIMs per year. It's a bit of an odd package though as, for some reason that nobody at Three could explain, you can only top it up for £10 per month when it expires, to get another 3 months for £20 deal you have to order a new SIM... Still not much hassle given that there's no phone number involved that anyone sees.

Other than through GiffGaff I find O2 a bit pricey for data only use.

As someone else that has found over time my arms have become too short for my eyes, you might try turning on the Zoom function in Settings->General->Accessibility on, that way you can use three fingers to double-tap on the screen and it will zoom to double size on any app. Useful if you don't have your reading glasses to hand and need to check the details on a message etc... tap again and it reverts to normal size. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #213205 22nd Feb 2013 12:29pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Thank you Dave, I really appreciate your reply - I actually took my post down as I thought perhaps I was asking a stupid question Embarassed
Post #213206 22nd Feb 2013 12:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
davew

Go Beyond wrote:
Thank you Dave, I really appreciate your reply - I actually took my post down as I thought perhaps I was asking a stupid question Embarassed

You know what they say, no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid answers Smile

Having reflected on it a bit longer though, you don't really need a SIM in your iPad as long as you have your phone with you. You should be able to use tethering (can't remember if O2 allow that on all their contracts or not). With tethering you can use your phone's data connection to supply a WiFi network for your iPad to connect to.

On your phone go into settings and see if you have the "Personal Hotspot" option and if you do then see if it can be turned on. Some carriers don't allow tethering in which case the option won't be available. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #213208 22nd Feb 2013 12:50pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Thanks Dave.

I do have 'Personal Hotspot' and I can turn it on - I don't have my Ipad with me to test.

However it does have a warning message that 'Additional usage charges may apply' - any ideas what they would be or is it just to tell you the device will be using your 3g allowance ?
Post #213209 22nd Feb 2013 1:02pm
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Dave- Thanks for such a great answer, your knowledge is much appreciated Bow down At least I can sleep at night, knowing that my iPad is safe (it's not Jailbroken) Very Happy

Matt- Basically the message is just to let you know that you're sharing your allowance, and its going to be used up faster, so will cost you more if you want to add more data Thumbs Up An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #213212 22nd Feb 2013 1:12pm
davew

Go Beyond wrote:
Thanks Dave.

I do have 'Personal Hotspot' and I can turn it on - I don't have my Ipad with me to test.

However it does have a warning message that 'Additional usage charges may apply' - any ideas what they would be or is it just to tell you the device will be using your 3g allowance ?

It'll depend on your O2 contract, it should just mean that it will use up your normal data allowance but it is possible they will charge extra for tethered data. Normally though carriers don't let you turn tethering on if it's not covered by your contract or "fair use" policy. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #213213 22nd Feb 2013 1:12pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Thanks guys Thumbs Up

Ask me about leather bits for your Defender and I'm your man, ask me about computers and stuff and I have to check with my 12 year old daughter Embarassed
Post #213214 22nd Feb 2013 1:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1