Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Camac Valley, Dublin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Camac Valley, Dublin

Click image to enlarge

No thats not the caravan site. Its Newgrange neolithic burial chamber which was built 1000 years before Stonehenge. I was there today and I found it so thought provoking and impressive I had to highlight it. Like many people I stupidly thought Stone age people were a bit primitive but when you see how it was constructed and how they engineered it to let the sunlight in at sunrise on the Winter Solstice it is truly amazing. And this was before the wheel was invented ! By the way the white facade is not a modern addition (as I previously thought). Thats how it was built 4000 years ago.

Camac Valley is a lovely caravan site. There's not a bad review on Tripadvisor and you can see why. Its handy for the city centre and all pitches have water and waste. We did the tourist stuff yesterday. The hop on hop off bus with commentary was great value at € 32 for a family of four for 2 days. I did not realise how packed with history this city is. I also thought the tourist scene would be quiet this time of year but no. Americans, French, Germans, Dutch, English everywhere.

Tomorrow we have tickets for Starlight Express at the Bord Gais energy theatre. Personally I think musicals are the lowest form of performance art but the kids are looking forward to it and its reputed to be a good production. It had better be after what I paid for the ruddy tickets !

On Thursday I intend to visit the Viking heritage centre at Woodquay and Kilmainham gaol . On Friday we will be visiting relos in Kildare then its back home on Saturday.

So if you're thinking of visiting Dublin I can highly recommend it Thumbs Up
Post #210797 12th Feb 2013 9:33pm
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Looks familiar:

Post #210825 12th Feb 2013 10:20pm
muddybaldboy

Wales 1999 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Now i'd pay good money to see them buried in there. He who dies with the most toys...wins!
Post #210827 12th Feb 2013 10:32pm
Tarrel

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Quote:
So if you're thinking of visiting Dublin I can highly recommend it

+1. Watch where you park your Defender though. Some dodgy bits. 2012 Defender Utility Wagon
1981 SIII 88 inch SW
Follow our blog: www.newlifeinnorthernscotland.blogspot.co.uk
Post #210849 12th Feb 2013 11:28pm
rossy

Its quite convenient for us because we leave the Defender at the pitch. You can get a 1 day family bus ticket for €11 which is for nothing compared to the hassle of driving around the city. We'd spend more than that on diesel ! and the bus stop is right outside the Caravan site.
Post #210890 13th Feb 2013 10:57am
rossy

Just wanted to amend something I said earlier about musicals being a low form of entertainment. We saw Starlight Express yesterday in Dublin and it was spectacular ! The venue - the Bord Gais energy theatre is a super place with brilliant acoustics and the show was just superb. In particular the musicians/orchestra were excellent. My kids were spellbound throughout.

So even a cynical old git like me is not beyond a change in opinion from time to time. Everyday's a school day Embarassed
Post #211141 14th Feb 2013 10:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1