↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Fatter spare tyre will encroach rear wiper
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Egghead

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Fatter spare tyre will encroach rear wiper
Having ordered some new tyres (265s as opposed to the current 235s), I have been advised that the spare will now be too large for the rear wiper to operate. Before I go and get them fitted, can anybody tell me the type of washers I will need to space the tyre correctly from the rear door so as not to encroach on the wiper. I want to avoid any issue beforehand and make sure the garage have got the washers and/or won't charge me hideously for them.
I'd also be interested in securing the spare better to avoid theft. I was thinking a bloody great bolt and padlock, or maybe a bicycle lock. Any recommendations?
Post #210376 11th Feb 2013 12:57pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Mate fitted 255/85s to his and it touched the wiper arm. Someone mentioned spacing it out but in the end he put a slight bend in the wiper arm and that was enough to clear it.

Have you thought about a spare wheel carrier...... then you can put a bike chain through the spokes of the wheel and the frame of the carrier...... it will also reduce the stress on the back door which can cause problems if you do regular off-road, and it will move the tire away from the wiper Thumbs Up

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #210379 11th Feb 2013 1:10pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I have a 265 as a spare.
The wheel carrier is adjustable. 3 large nuts which you can wind out to give you the 5-6mm you need.
I took the nuts completely off and put spacers behind them. This elliminated the wheel "shake" as you shut the back door.
Securitywise a plastic coated chain and good lock, in addition to locking wheel nut.
Check out my Gallery

Very Happy

Clemmo Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #210383 11th Feb 2013 1:49pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I'm sure I put this up only a few days ago for somebody asking the same question. Ho hum - three standard steel wheel nuts behind the large flat nuts works a treat:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #210384 11th Feb 2013 1:59pm
shaun.mobile

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Fuji White
hmmm

i have the 18" silverline wheels that don't stick out of the arches and the rear wiper arm just rubs on hte spare.

all i did was slacken off the three nuts holding it on and then wound out the top large nut on the wheel carrier by about 3/4 of a turn and then tightened up the three wheel nuts.

with a little bit of trial and error you can get an exact fit just by adjusting the top one.
Post #210390 11th Feb 2013 2:38pm
Thud

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
4mm washer will suffice.
Post #210426 11th Feb 2013 4:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Glynparry25 wrote:
Mate fitted 255/85s to his and it touched the wiper arm. Someone mentioned spacing it out but in the end he put a slight bend in the wiper arm and that was enough to clear it.

Have you thought about a spare wheel carrier...... then you can put a bike chain through the spokes of the wheel and the frame of the carrier...... it will also reduce the stress on the back door which can cause problems if you do regular off-road, and it will move the tire away from the wiper Thumbs Up

Glyn Dog Sheep

I have a BFG 255/85 spare on my back door (on standard U bracket mount). On a modular 16" steel rim, with cover on, there is still plenty of space. In fact more than the 235/85 on boost alloy that it replaced. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #210643 12th Feb 2013 12:41am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
BigWheels wrote:

I have a BFG 255/85 spare on my back door (on standard U bracket mount). On a modular 16" steel rim, with cover on, there is still plenty of space. In fact more than the 235/85 on boost alloy that it replaced.

He had them on standard offset 'Deep dish' alloys- modulars will probably be 30mm offsetted compared to LR wheels. The 10mm extra width meaning it will move 20mm away from the wiper where just fitting the 255s to standard wheels will move it 10mm closer..................and I have just gone cross eyed trying to put that into words

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #210683 12th Feb 2013 1:01pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
My wiper is bent, Laughing fitter must have done it!

If wheel spacers are going to be fitted, I guess an extra one (if they can be bought singly) for the spare would solve the problem. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #210685 12th Feb 2013 1:24pm
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
BigWheels wrote:

If wheel spacers are going to be fitted, I guess an extra one (if they can be bought singly) for the spare would solve the problem.

They are pretty heavy things, not sure I'd put one on the carrier along with a wheel. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #210696 12th Feb 2013 2:10pm
Egghead

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Thanks for the replies. Didn't realise the bolts are adjustable. Can easily fit without further additions. Like the thought of the shake eliminated though so may end up putting a washer in there to stabilise it. Don't think I will use a wheel spacer though, I'd rather spend the money on something more practical - like a few pints in the pub! Thumbs Up
Post #210730 12th Feb 2013 5:29pm
Thud

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Your bolts might not be adjustable Egg. They aren't on the newer ones. It'll save a bit of bother if they are. Otherwise some big 4mm washers will be fine.
Post #210737 12th Feb 2013 5:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1