↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Novice seeks advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LRnovice

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Auto Belize Green
Novice seeks advice
I have just ordered my first LR Defender which should be delivered mid June but after reading this forum I am hoping I havent made a mistake. Have any of the design faults been addressed. I had read there were some flywheel problems and transfer case misalignment reports but I dont know how common they are. One last question, is there a workshop manual available for this model either from Land Rover or elsewhere. Thanks
Post #2059 8th May 2008 10:05pm
carpenpa

England 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Cairns Blue
You will not be disappointed
These forums always highlight any potential problems and do not reflect the thousands of vehicles (like mine so far - fingers crossed) that are generally reliable and provide excellent service. Mine did have a faulty ABS sensor but this was replaced within 2 days under warranty and the truck has been trouble free since, so far.

A colleague of mine, who after weeks of careful consideration bought a VW golf estate as practical transport, asked me why I had bought the Defender as it was so impractical. His efficient Golf does everything he needs - efficiently, and after a couple of weeks he has got to quite like the car. I replied " You've got the wrong car mate. I fell in love with mine the minute I sat in it and I go out in it to drive around simply for the pleasure of it". I think that sums up the Defender. Thoroughly enjoying my landrovers in the far west.
Post #2065 10th May 2008 10:47pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
The problems that buyers of new Land Rovers encounter is that they are the final quality control inspection.
This used to be done at the factory but proved more economic to let the customer do it.
Basically, this means that most vehicles produced are either very good or faults do not show on initial inspection.
Post #2066 10th May 2008 10:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Trevor Wright

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Re: Novice seeks advice
LRnovice wrote:
I have just ordered my first LR Defender which should be delivered mid June but after reading this forum I am hoping I havent made a mistake. Have any of the design faults been addressed. I had read there were some flywheel problems and transfer case misalignment reports but I dont know how common they are.

Yes, I had the same concerns when I ordered my first Defender 90 XS SW in February. I collected it on 1 May with no problems to date.

Two weeks before collection I arranged to go over to do my own inspection. Clearly you can only do so much with it sitting in their car park and not on a lift but I couldn't spot anything obvious. I had asked the sales exec to ask his Workshop to do a very good PDI and in particular check all the bolts along the driveshaft. The Workshop Manager is an off-roader himself and assured me he checked everything and found no problems.

The only issue which has arisen concerns the security codes for the radio and the ignition (for starting when you remote control blipper thingy has gone wrong). These were missing from the documentation pack and my sales exec has just retrieved this information. Ask your sales exec, a couple of weeks before delivery, to check they are present and correct in the documentation pack. I wonder how many other new owners don't even know they are lacking this info? I suspect this is not a one-off exception.

Another issue is Running In. This is not done/necessary on modern cars, but the Defender is a truck and the limit of 3000 rpm and 50 mph for the first 500 miles is, I suspect, sometimes not noted by new owners. My sales exec didn't mention it.

Before delivery you can read the Owners Handbook online via this "Handbooks and Manuals" link on the LR website:

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Owners/Lear...erview.htm

select Defender and Owners Handbook, 2008 Model and you'll be offered three - you want the one with part number ending ... 801 As far as I can see to date there are only two faults: the horn is not described, not a problem, and the rear fog warning light is shown on the wrong side of the line of switches, again, no big deal.

I did take the Factory Tour organised via Land Rover Experience at Solihull ("The Home of the Legend"). This costs £30 plus of course your travelling costs, so isn't cheap. This gives a good insight into why the Defender is fundamentally different to the RR, RRS and Disco (the Freelander is built at Halewood). Make sure they know you want to see the Defender line as they prefer to concentrate on the modern robotised RR, RRS, Disco lines and not the hand-built Defender line. An interesting fact is that the first time the engines are started is when the car is moved off the end of the line and they go onto a rolling road for testing.

I hope this is of some assistance. Trevor Wright
'08 90 TDCi/TD4 XS SW
Post #2067 11th May 2008 9:06am
solmanic

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Re: Novice seeks advice
Trevor Wright wrote:
Another issue is Running In. This is not done/necessary on modern cars, but the Defender is a truck and the limit of 3000 rpm and 50 mph for the first 500 miles is, I suspect, sometimes not noted by new owners. My sales exec didn't mention it.

You know, this running-in thing is interesting. When I did the factory tour I noticed that after final assembly they stick each Defender on the rolling-road and rev the absolute SNOT out of it for 15 seconds. Presumably to see if anything goes POING! If it survives, then they cane the poor vehicle out to the yard somewhere to sit and wait for transport to wherever. With this rough treatment I'm not sure how that then means 800km of sub-3000RPM driving is going to really matter. The engine is the same as any other new engine, manufactured to very fine tolerances. It is only the drivetrain that is in any way "truck"-like.

Besides, how many Ford Transit drivers do you think bother running-in their engines Laughing 2007 Defender 110
1970 Alfa Romeo 1750GTV
Post #2068 11th May 2008 12:05pm
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I was sceptical about buying a new DEFENDER.

To date i have had nothing to report ! I picked mine up on the first of March,

The only thing i can fault is:
slightly notchy Gearbox "Dealer will check this shortly"
And a metallic rattling coming from the front drivetrain / suspension linkage ? i cant be any more specific than that only that its more pronounced when hitting bumps or pot holes, it sounds very much like the the drop arm linkage and is more pronounced at low speeds it does it when in gear and i can hear the definate clunk of metal on metal.

And as stated above the dealer is key to ensuring that the correct fluid levels are accurate and important checks are made !

What you will not know if you are new to DEFENDERS is that the heater in this one actually works ! the Air Con actually reduces the cabin temperature "A LOT" 6th gear is excellent ! the scuttle vents that Series & Defenders are synonimous for have obviously gone making the cabin a much warmer drier place to be !
I dont know about other owners of the new defender but i have never owned one with ABS, Traction Control etc but it is another feature that hauls it up to date and should keep it there for some time to come yet ! i intend keeping mine for a very long time to come.

Lets assume this will be as good a vehicle as the old 200 / 300 TDI for reliability ?
As reliable as the TD5 is proving itself "even after the scare mongering" that this vehicle bestowed upon itself !

And as you will soon discover turn as many heads as a supermodel !
Something which nmy Mrs seems difficult to understand.

Keep us all informed of your progress !

Happy motoring ! You will know as soon as you drive away why you did it ! and the novelty will never wear off ! DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #2071 11th May 2008 3:36pm
LRnovice

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Auto Belize Green
Thanks everyone for your advice. A classic car owner I met told me a car should put a smile on your face every time you drive it and the Defender I drove did just that.
Post #2075 11th May 2008 8:45pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
LRnovice wrote:
Thanks everyone for your advice. A classic car owner I met told me a car should put a smile on your face every time you drive it and the Defender I drove did just that.

Well owning a Defender is like riding an emotional roller coaster Thumbs Up
Post #2089 13th May 2008 9:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1