↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Hows the water getting in ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
stevie

United Kingdom 
Hows the water getting in ?
The defender has been in twice for a water getting into the drivers foot well. First time they could not find it, then the second time they took the screen out and re-sealed it, but then discoverd it was coming in through a seem on the bulk head. The seem was the one on the drivers side just below the windscreen. It now has silicone on the seems and some silicone on the roof gutter.
Got in the car today and the carpet is wet again. It seems to be on the right hand side next to the door. I think this maybe a seperate leak to the one they have fixed.
Any ideas?
Post #20103 14th Dec 2009 11:36pm
jlerra

Gibraltar 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
water ingress
Hi Steve,
Sometimes the angle of how the car is parked has an effect of water entry. The door rubber seals, if they are creased and not starightened will let water in. Try also the transparent self seeking sealer captain Tolley which is used in boats - it has a self seeking ability and apply where you think water is getting in, doorways, rubber seal, etc. It's great stuff and recommended for Land Rover Defenders. Don't worry when it comes out the tube it's 'milky' but turns transparent. I have used this with very good results'

Joe
'El Pepe Flamenco'

And a Happy Christmas to all. JLS
'El Pepe Flamenco'
Post #20104 14th Dec 2009 11:47pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
Hi Steve mine leaks in exactly the same place Big Cry
Post #20107 15th Dec 2009 12:03am
YORKSHIRELAD

England 
I'm with Joe on the Captain Tolley's stuff. Even if it does have a silly name!. My water leak was eventually traced to my snorkel bracket holes. Worth a look if if you have one fitted.

Richard 1963 Series 2A truck cab
2008 110 SW
Post #20162 15th Dec 2009 1:11pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
How big a gap can it work with? Surely if the gap is more than hairline it just runs through?

I might have to get me some all the same One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #20178 15th Dec 2009 4:24pm
murrayb

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Mine only leaked a couple of times..once in Silly rain and once in a hand car wash when the silly Censored used a preasure hose on it... I got soaked! Embarassed

Always seams to be the door seals....
Post #20179 15th Dec 2009 4:26pm
gtveloce65

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Epsom Green
Mine was the covers for the left over 'hinges' on the bulkhead from the days when the screen folded flat. Water ran down the screen from the gutters, onto the covers and seeped underneath and through the bolt holes, then INSIDE the bulkhead behind the dash. Fixed by the dealers and never leaked again, thankfully 1953 80
1965 Alfa Romeo GT Veloce Sprint
1980 Fiat 124 Spider
2008 110xs
Post #20280 16th Dec 2009 6:07pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
gtveloce65 wrote:
Mine was the covers for the left over 'hinges' on the bulkhead from the days when the screen folded flat. Water ran down the screen from the gutters, onto the covers and seeped underneath and through the bolt holes, then INSIDE the bulkhead behind the dash. Fixed by the dealers and never leaked again, thankfully

I had a similar leak but it seeped out from the bolts. A quick turn of a spanner on all the bolts sorted it.

Bob
Post #20281 16th Dec 2009 6:31pm
rangra

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
MAybe you've already mentioned it, but underneath the windscreen there is a seal. it looks like a piece of foam and just seems to let water soak through. The water is most obvious if you look at it from the inside, between the door and corner of the dashboard.

if you spray water on the roof and let it run down the windscreen for a few minutes, you might be able to spot it (or at least it feels a bit wet). The problem seems to be made worse by the gutter which runs along the bottom of the windscreen, because at each end there is a hole (obviously!) which means that a huge amount of water is concentrated on this one end of the seal.

Well although its hard to explain, this is what happened to me anyway! LAND ROVER DEFENDER 110 XS SW 2.4
Post #20534 20th Dec 2009 11:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1