↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Clutch slip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Clutch slip
Here's one that's baffling me. A few of times over the past week I have experienced a slipping clutch but not necessarily when I would have expected it. If I pull away from a junction when joining a main road where you want to be up to the same speed as the traffic flow I've had clutch slip but only when in third or fourth gear, at around 3/4 throttle opening whilst travelling about 40mph+. Try to get the clutch to slip when you expect it, going up hills, pulling away in 2nd from a standing start, I don't experience any. The bite at the pedal is about halfway up the travel but sometimes it does give the impression that you're a bit higher when the drive is fully engaged. Puzzling thing is that over the years I've had the motor it's happened before, gives you the impression that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and put a new clutch in then it'll "self heal" and away you go again.

If there was contamination on the plate/flywheel I'd expect the clutch to slip at low rev's as well as higher so what I'm thinking is due to the centrifugal forces the springs on the plate are not doing their job..............by the way what do the springs in the plate do? Whistle
Post #204150 22nd Jan 2013 12:16am
jasong4110

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 G4 LE Java Black
It could be your DMF giving out are you getting any vibration? If you have contamination on your clutch you could also be getting clutch slippage, this could be caused by a leaking FPR or output seal on the engine.

Jason.
Post #204157 22nd Jan 2013 12:28am
JWL

There's no vibration, just feels like classic clutch slip, revs rise forward motion drops off, drop the revs and you can feel the motor "catch up". The FPR has it's moments, I did the seals early last year as there was an intermittent leak and has done it a few times since, bit difficult to tell at the moment whether the crap on the back of the engine is fresh diesel or old stuff kept moist by the amount of moisture around at the moment. One of these days I need to get some of the crud out of the engine bay so I can keep a check on any new leaks Rolling Eyes
It is highly feasible that there is contamination, but why does it only slip at higher revs and not give any hassle when pulling away in 2nd?
Post #204162 22nd Jan 2013 12:50am
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Yes normal clutch slip. High gear as turbo starts to work, clutch begins to alp. Low gear clutch can cope with the power, however eventually you'll get slip in all gears. Sounds like your pressure plate is on its way out. You don't mention which defender or what's the mileage.

I've had 2 clutches in the last 2 years, exactly the same symptoms ! 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #204177 22nd Jan 2013 8:34am
JWL

I suppose it had to happen one day, 2002my 110 that isn't mollycoddled with 150k on the clock still on original clutch.
Post #204190 22nd Jan 2013 9:04am
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
There is a plug on the bottom of the bell housing. If it isn't already removed, do so. If there is oil coming out that will be the contamination from your previous leaks.

At 150,000 on the original clutch you have done well! Fingers crossed that I get that far myself.
Post #204208 22nd Jan 2013 10:00am
JWL

I know it's genuine as I'm the second owner, previous was Thames Valley Police and the service data sheet came with the motor and I've just notched up 4 years with it on last sunday and it's not had one done. Just checked the clutch fluid and it was allmost empty, I know it sounds daft but it does throw up some perculier symptoms, it shouldn't cure it but the Land Rover fairies might smile on me to last out a little longer Whistle
Post #204233 22nd Jan 2013 11:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1