↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Thread Language
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
I clearly said poorly constructed not inaccurately constructed sentences i.e. lacking some eloquence.

I operate as an Engineer under a Royal Charter as as such it is a capital E. Those who do not feel they are a Professional Engineer are by definition amateurs.

I would welcome any guidance to a accident or incident investigation where the HSE inspector found an incorrectly used semi colon etc. was a significant contributory factor. I know of far too many deaths resulting from inept management decisions based upon poor or non existent understanding of the basic physics of the process and the integrity of the process units. 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #202789 18th Jan 2013 12:07am
Odin

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
RFT wrote:
I clearly said poorly constructed not inaccurately constructed sentences i.e. lacking some eloquence.

I operate as an Engineer under a Royal Charter as as such it is a capital E. Those who do not feel they are a Professional Engineer are by definition amateurs.

I would welcome any guidance to a accident or incident investigation where the HSE inspector found an incorrectly used semi colon etc. was a significant contributory factor. I know of far too many deaths resulting from inept management decisions based upon poor or non existent understanding of the basic physics of the process and the integrity of the process units.

Poor construction clearly leads to increased risk of misinterpretation and, suffice to say, engineers are prone to being relatively weak in communication skills which can hinder management's decision making. Ask legal Professionals or Aviation technicians about the misuse of gramma or syntax and you'll get enough evidence of misinterpretation.

I'm sure that a PQE in the Corps of Royal Engineers remains an engineer, albeit a Royal Engineer, despite holding the Queen's Commission however I remain unconvinced as to a Royal Charter necessarily qualifying one as a Professional. It's unfortunate that in Britain an engineer is not recognised as a Professional but I'm happy with being a well paid amateur engineer.
Post #202794 18th Jan 2013 12:33am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Just look at 'there', 'their' and 'they're'; all pronounced the same but with totally different meanings. 
Post #202796 18th Jan 2013 12:40am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cobs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Let's not forget that this forum is about Land Rovers not spelling. If we are pedantic about the latter we'll put people off posting who may have a valuable contribution to make. If you read a newspaper or a BBC news website you can reasonably expect the grammar and punctuation to be correct. There is however a conversational spontanaity to forums which is, on balance I believe, more important than precise spelling (or starting a sentence with 'and'). In any event, whether we like it or not, the lack of proper keyboards in the (increasingly ubiquitous) use of smartphones and tablets will make it more difficult for even the most ardent advocate of Queen's English to ensure they never make a cock-up when typing. (Oh dear it was all going so well until the last sentence..............)
Post #202811 18th Jan 2013 8:35am
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
rossy wrote:
Perhaps this thread is the place to express my annoyance at the alarming increase in the misuse of apostrophe 's' just about everywhere these days on many plurals ending in 's' - even on official publications where you would expect some sort of proof reading mechanism to be in place - eg 'Landrover's for sale'. Most other sloppy English habits are, I believe, due to linguistic shortcuts in the practice of texting - IMHO lol Laughing

Don't get me started ! Apostrophes are used in two situations, Omission and Possession. Omission being things like "Can't" and "haven't" where letters have been removed from a word. Possession being to show that something belongs to somebody or something, such as "the Land Rover's exhaust" or "the dog's tail". Is it really that hard?
Edit: Forgot to say that they are also used to indicate that objects are plural.

cobs wrote:
Let's not forget that this forum is about Land Rovers not spelling. If we are pedantic about the latter we'll put people off posting who may have a valuable contribution to make. If you read a newspaper or a BBC news website you can reasonably expect the grammar and punctuation to be correct. There is however a conversational spontanaity to forums which is, on balance I believe, more important than precise spelling (or starting a sentence with 'and'). In any event, whether we like it or not, the lack of proper keyboards in the (increasingly ubiquitous) use of smartphones and tablets will make it more difficult for even the most ardent advocate of Queen's English to ensure they never make a cock-up when typing. (Oh dear it was all going so well until the last sentence..............)

Although I agree with you there, sometimes the spelling and grammar (or lack of) in a post can make it incredibly hard to read or even understand, which in turn could well put people off contributing! An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #202813 18th Jan 2013 8:53am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
GUM97 wrote:
Although I agree with you there, sometimes the spelling and grammar (or lack of) in a post can make it incredibly hard to read or even understand, which in turn could well put people off contributing!

Agree with that.
Some contributors have genuine trouble with their English. These are not the people to target.
The real problem is people who can't be bothered. I tend to take the attitude that, if they can't be bothered, why should I? Ebay advertisers are usually the worst amongst these along with those who insist on using 'text speak'. 
Post #202886 18th Jan 2013 12:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
1) Writing in precise technical English, French and German is 1/2 of my job and have never had any trouble understanding what anyone says on this forum... at least after Killer started to punctuate Laughing

2) What I also notice is that many of the lawyers, doctors and journalists with whom I frequently fight Rolling Eyes all use similarly poor grammar and spelling. Surely they "should know better". Not all are younger than me so I can't even blame it on "modern schooling".

3) Part of my work also involves editing large bodies of English text written by foreign nationals so I am used to seeing interesting Whistle use of language there too BUT I only need to make sure it is comprehensible not a work of art.

The point I am trying to make is that as far as I can tell all "visible" forum members are capable of writing intelligible, humorous and polite English. It probably sets us all (including the cHartered ENgineers) above the majority of the UK population Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #202957 18th Jan 2013 2:52pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Laurie wrote:
Ebay advertisers are usually the worst amongst these along with those who insist on using 'text speak'.

I've came across adds as you describe before. I always avoid them... You got to actively sell something if it's any good at all which takes just a little time and effort to work out. And also properly word an advert. I always look else where if I come across an add like that. Often as follows:

"BNIB charger sold as seen.
any info: 077********
"

Rolling Eyes Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #203069 18th Jan 2013 6:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234