↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > ATV alternative to a quad
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Romadog

I think some are forgetting that its not just the driver, but logs that need to be transported on this terrain and therefore as good as a quad may be over a sit in type ATV of whatever colour or creed, it can't carry b***er all.
Was a bit worried when Walfy mentioned getting off on a slope and was suprised his Grizzly didnt tip. Well as a word of warning to all this is when a classic accident can occurr when someone then gets back on or in that machine as it is then that it rolls, crushing the operative in the process. This happened to an operator on a mower in Birmingham this year and has happened to many others.
Towing a trailer on a slope would be a no as there is no control when laden and it will pull the towing vehicle down. How about a tracked dumper ??
www.trackeddumperhireuk.com
Post #193214 13th Dec 2012 6:30pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Exactly right Romadog, my point earlier Thumbs Up
Post #193218 13th Dec 2012 6:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
YeomanOfTheBar

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Santorini Black
Maybe a little on the expensive side, and don't imagine you'll need the ballistic protection(!), but Withams are selling some ex-military ATVs with load areas that will carry a ton...

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,98,/43613/EPS.htm
Post #193236 13th Dec 2012 7:31pm
walfy

To be fair when I stepped off the quad it wasn't a mega steep slope and the front N/S wheel dropped into a hole. I stepped off thinking this was the best course of action. It wasn't. But I didn't get back on, I walked it to a flatter bit of ground before I got back on. But then drove the same bit of ground a while later and had no issues.
So although it sounded a bit dramatic, it wasn't as bad as it read on here. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #193267 13th Dec 2012 9:21pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Roma, when I was using my quad on slopes I was pulling the timber / branches and trunks with a chain on the ground, lowest possible C of G, nice and steady, with the slip ring under the load (pulling from the bottom) attached to the hitch on the rear axle - again lowest possible point.

The timber was cut into logs at the top by the trailer, logs on the bottom, quad loaded onto the top of the logs and away - 'simples'
Post #193317 13th Dec 2012 11:05pm
peterl

1987 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Thanks for all your input. A 350 quad is not upto the job of towing the log trailer really, so I may look at a more powerful model. I find towing a trailer in mud with the quad, there is a great deal of drag, so my thoughts were to bypass this by having an atv with load capacity, hence the mule type atv.
A horse would be great, but running costs are high and it needs to be looked after when not in use. Anyone know a man and a horse for hire for a week in Feb?
A supercat maybe the answer, but again, expensive to buy or hire.
Post #193526 14th Dec 2012 7:05pm
appaloosadude

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Havana
I might know a man with two shire 4 year olds that might be available...
Post #193531 14th Dec 2012 7:18pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Quite a few "horse logging" people about these days, all these hippie coppice workers have sort of revived it a bit. Depends on the size of the timber if it's worth it or not. For a cord or two of small stuff it's probably not a go-er!

Personally I'd be trying to convince the landowner to let you cut an extraction rack in there, if you explain the future benefits to him in terms of woodland access I'm sure he'll come round Wink
Post #193565 14th Dec 2012 8:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12