↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Now it's the chuffing turbo
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bogblaster

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Adventure Corris Grey
Now it's the chuffing turbo
My 2007 Puma 90 has been diagnosed, for the second time, with a failed turbo, it had the same fault about 5000 miles ago, and went again on Saturday. It starts off as a high pitched whine, and then as the turbo deteriorates turns to a banshee like wail. LR have been very good about it, I have a FL2 on my drive and that will be replaced by a FFRR tomorrow as the FL2 won't tow the skin off a rice pudding.

AndrewS has had the same turbo problem, but only once, so I am concerned that I treat my truck harder than he does Embarassed Which I didn't believe was possible Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

The trouble is I am starting to lose confidence in my 90, at this rate I feel a D3 commercial coming on. 2019 MY Disco 5 HSE Lux
Audi A4 Avant 3.0L TDI Quattro - WOW
2016 90 Adventure
Post #1893 16th Apr 2008 8:24pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
THis a common transit problem apparently - i think something earlyones suffer Mike
Post #1894 16th Apr 2008 9:04pm
Bogblaster

Cheers MSE

So Ford sold all the duff ones to LR! I have 4 Duratorq transits and they are all fine, 1 x 2001, 1 x 2005, 1 x 2006 and 1 x 2007. We have had problems with Dual Mass Flywheels but not, as yet, turbos. They are all loaded permanently as we carry drain cleaning and surveying kit - all in at 3300 kg Whistle

Both mine have failed under load, once towing a trailer up a hill and secondly when driving on motorway at 80 ish. So why are they OK in the Transits? I wish I knew!

Frustrating as hell. 2019 MY Disco 5 HSE Lux
2016 90 Adventure
Post #1895 16th Apr 2008 9:27pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Bogblaster wrote:
Cheers MSE

So Ford sold all the duff ones to LR! I have 4 Duratorq transits and they are all fine, 1 x 2001, 1 x 2005, 1 x 2006 and 1 x 2007. We have had problems with Dual Mass Flywheels but not, as yet, turbos. They are all loaded permanently as we carry drain cleaning and surveying kit - all in at 3300 kg Whistle

Both mine have failed under load, once towing a trailer up a hill and secondly when driving on motorway at 80 ish. So why are they OK in the Transits? I wish I knew!

Frustrating as hell.

Youll never get a dual mass flywheel failure on a defender (they dont have them)

Yes i dont know where i read it - but the turbo is a known (atleast by those that know!) a common Ford Transit failure

just a quick search on google: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Transit+turbo+failure&hl=en

but:
Quote:
RELIABILITY!! Working on these vans day in day out I have seen some pretty poor what can only be described as build quality.
ie: engine failure at 1500 miles
turbo failure at 200 miles
5 vans from a batch of 10 requiring new diesel pumps in the first 3 months . Thats just a few from the top of my head.
All this from the backbone of britian and a multi million pound company, what is ford playing at , thank god for that 'bumper to bumper' 100,000 mile warranty.

Maybe more interestingly - linked to the EGR??

Quote:
I swapped my vans in Jan 06 for the new Transit after using Fiat ducato's for 3 years,The problems we are having with these van's seams to be getting excessive,EGR valve's have gone on all 6 van's,wheel bearing failure's on 2,turbo blown on another(according to the dealer this is because of the EGR valve)my local dealer has told me they are waiting for over 150 EGR valve's from Ford,key fob's not working(the last one we had into the dealer for a key fob lasted 2 day's before it stopped working again).The Transit is supposed to be the backbone of Britain not in my case it seems.None of the van's are high miles between 20,000 and 30,000
 Mike
Post #1896 16th Apr 2008 10:07pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
The Red Dwarf is waiting for an EGR valve. They have had the car over a month now and have just ordered the valve. Guess what LR have none in stock.
Post #1897 17th Apr 2008 9:52am
Bogblaster

Andrew, it makes you wonder if the first turbo problem we have both had was down to a dodgy EGR and that is the reason mine has gone again. I spoke to Likes this week and they told me they had had their first EGR failure this week, I am guessing that was yours then! 2019 MY Disco 5 HSE Lux
2016 90 Adventure
Post #1901 17th Apr 2008 9:01pm
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Do you need the EGR value on the puma engine ??
I was having problems with EGR value on my td5 90, removed it and replaced with blanking plate. Solved all the problems and engine runs much better now Confused

Andrew on another matter - Did you have any balancing problems with ZU wheel tyre combination ?
just got a set with BFG all terrains and used Dyna balancing, they wobbling all over the place above 50mph ?

Nidge.
Post #1908 18th Apr 2008 8:23am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Nidge wrote:

Andrew on another matter - Did you have any balancing problems with ZU wheel tyre combination ?
just got a set with BFG all terrains and used Dyna balancing, they wobbling all over the place above 50mph ?

Nidge.

None at all. ATS ballanced my wheels using stick on weights. Thumbs Up
Post #1927 21st Apr 2008 8:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1