↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > td5 Coolant flush
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
cabell

td5 Coolant flush
I looked around but didn't see a write up. Can anyone tell me the best method to completely flush the system including the heater matrix?
Post #188910 27th Nov 2012 5:25pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Backwards with a hose. 
Post #188913 27th Nov 2012 5:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Highly recommend this job, it is a faff, but the difference in the TD5s coolant/heater system was brilliant.

I used a coolant flush from BARs IIRC, advised by local motor factor old boy, which involved circulating the stuff around the system for a while then draining and flushing. The Flush removes any built up stuff in the system and "conditions" the metalwork to prevent it from reappearing again. Worth the effort IMHO.

After that it is a matter of flushing as much cold water through the system as possible. The heater hoses come off easily and allow you to flush back and forth through the engine block. I also removed the rad drain plug and drained that down and flushed in-situ. The plug is a booger to get too and being nylon isn't the strongest so be careful undoing it.

Refill the coolant as exactly as you can to the correct concentration. Too much anti-freeze and the system can run worse than before. Then work all the rubber hoses to make sure there aren't any air locks, take it for a run and get the system to pressurise stopping now and then to check the level of the fluid in the header tank.

Whilst you are under the hood, make sure the control cables to the heater matrix are adjusted properly to get max heat.

The difference in mine was amazing, lava-like heat pouring out of the vents.
Post #188927 27th Nov 2012 6:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1