↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > New 08 defective
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
simond

United Kingdom 
New 08 defective
H have just rejected an 08 Puma Defender 90 after 6 hours.

The bodyshell is not aligned behind the front doors, so that the nearside door sticks out and the bottom and the offside sticks in. The doors cannot be shimmed up, it is the body panel that fills the gap between the rear wheel arch and the rear of the front doors which is out of true.

You can see the panel is bent, and there is a set of spot welds presumably linked to the internal cross brace holding the panels in the wrong position.

There are another 7 faults including the rear door doesn't open and paint defects. Vehicle had 2 miles on the clock. I don't think there is any quality control at all at Land Rover on the Defender production line. Fisher Price probably spend more time on each product.

When Puma Defender came out LR went on record as saying the product would not released until the quality was right. You can forget it, the doors are wide open and they are driving anything through them.

My advice is, take a few hours checking all the alignment and bodywork, because once you have handed over the £26K it will be difficult going back.

I have owned 6 Defenders, most from new, so I know all about water leaks and bad trim. But this takes things to another level. Be careful out there. Simon D
Post #1381 15th Feb 2008 10:09am
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
It is a defender at the end of the day Confused If you want nice fiting panels and shut lines buy a Disco or RR.
Post #1388 15th Feb 2008 1:50pm
simond

United Kingdom 
You haven't seen mine.

Didn't say i wanted nice shut lines. My doors don't fit and some don't open. Defenders I bought 3 years ago and my 94 Frogs Island 90 V8 4.2 soft top are infinitely better.

And I have had new RRs and Discos but I prefer the Defender. I just expect the quality to be as bad as ever in 2008, not far worse. Simon D
Post #1389 15th Feb 2008 2:22pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Doesn't sound good but you can't apply the comments to the whole of the production line. Most of the Puma Defenders seem to be put together well - there are always going to be some issues with a new model and these tend to get reported more than the ones that have nothing wrong.

Are you getting it replaced with another one?
Post #1392 15th Feb 2008 3:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simond

United Kingdom 
The bits that are wrong with mine are unchanged from the Td5, other than they have been welded p*ssed. LR seem to be struggling to assemble the sides vertically at the moment. I never really got as far as a meaningful conclusion on the new design parts, other than mine felt like it was misfiring at at low revs.

The resolution of what happens next is still unclear. The dealer has had it for a couple of days. Meanwhile I am down £26K and no car. Justifiably niggled I think.

Unjustifiably I'd probably buy another, stupid as it sounds. Simon D
Post #1394 15th Feb 2008 4:28pm
Daniel TD5

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 90 Other ST Nato Green
i agree my 07 110 double cab was at best crap at first its been in the dealer over eight weeks in total

ABS senors fault
new clutch
gear box oil leaks
respray the rear end
tail gate fell off Rolling with laughter
alarm fault
rear doors not closing
under seal missing
failed to start

but i still love it if your ones bent then that can't be fixed but has the body has nothing to to with driving and as more flex build in than a bendy bus land rover will just flog it on to some one that is not in the know

dan
Post #1398 15th Feb 2008 9:38pm
simond

United Kingdom 
Got a new 2008 08 one now.

Panel alignment normal, eg: doors don't fit perfectly and front wings pi**ed but otherwise OK. Found an assortment of 14 spare (I hope) fasteners inc 2" bolts under the rear carpet, plus one 2" bolt placed in one of the front shock absorber turrets.

If you buy one I may have your missing parts!

Regarding my original blue misaligned model, there are others out there, mine was not the only one they made, I know this for a fact. So be very careful..... Simon D
Post #1803 7th Apr 2008 12:25pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
My 08 was obviously the exception - it was perfect alignment wise; no current issues except squeaking brakes im putting that down to being new - (well except somewhere between seeing it Saturday and buying it Friday someone had scratched the roof and gutter - which is now being fully repaired!)

I have to admit the underseal was partial at best but i spent a day doing it an afternoon adding to it and will spend another day in the next 2 weeks adding to it.

I do wonder if there is anything else i should be looking for - underneath seems ok Mike
Post #1807 7th Apr 2008 4:06pm
solmanic

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
It would have been good to see some photos. I am curious to see what the variations are from "bad enough to reject" to "bad but usual".

The rear corner LH side upper panel (the one with the sliding window) on my 110 is a bit skew-if. I notice it whenever I open or close the rear door as you can see the misalignment just where the top meets the tub near the latch. I thought about getting it seen to but the bottom line is - it doesn't leak, the doors all close properly, it's only out by a few mm and I wouldn't want to wait for them to sort it out. So meh! 2007 Defender 110
1970 Alfa Romeo 1750GTV
Post #1824 8th Apr 2008 12:25am
simond

United Kingdom 
If you have any underseal I believe yours is an earlier build.

The newest production do not have any, apparently LR believe that their chassis paint is now so good it doesn't need it. In principle this is the Kleentect argument; paint it properly and it doesn't need a sticky goo coating.

However in practice mine has rust coming from the welds after 600 miles, it was built in Feb 08. Might get it waxoiled soon Shocked Simon D
Post #1872 12th Apr 2008 3:14pm
mse

solmanic wrote:
It would have been good to see some photos. I am curious to see what the variations are from "bad enough to reject" to "bad but usual".

The rear corner LH side upper panel (the one with the sliding window) on my 110 is a bit skew-if. I notice it whenever I open or close the rear door as you can see the misalignment just where the top meets the tub near the latch. I thought about getting it seen to but the bottom line is - it doesn't leak, the doors all close properly, it's only out by a few mm and I wouldn't want to wait for them to sort it out. So meh!

Its a bit of a rumour they do still come with it; but only in certain places so not even 50% coverage Mike
Post #1873 12th Apr 2008 4:04pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I think the so called better rust prevention and so on announcement that Land Rover made late last year was to counter the number of people (including me) who took theirs back complaining of very patchy wax protection. I very much doubt they actually made any substantial changes.
Post #1876 13th Apr 2008 10:34am
mse

mse wrote:
solmanic wrote:

The rear corner LH side upper panel (the one with the sliding window) on my 110 is a bit skew-if. I notice it whenever I open or close the rear door as you can see the misalignment just where the top meets the tub near the latch. I thought about getting it seen to but the bottom line is - it doesn't leak, the doors all close properly, it's only out by a few mm and I wouldn't want to wait for them to sort it out. So meh!

Its a bit of a rumour they do still come with it; but only in certain places so not even 50% coverage

I think your correct - i waxoyled my own, and although its got dirty now, ill go back and continue to add more around when i fit the winch Mike
Post #1877 13th Apr 2008 10:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1