Home > Maintenance & Modifications > New Stereo System
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
To the original OP,

You may want to look at my thread in the My Defender section, as I took my Land Rover from a bare metal hard top and have made it much more civilised, which included doing the sound deadening first and recently, replacing all the Audio side of things.

I didn't want to spend mega bucks as this is not my daily driver (I have a Range Rover Vogue SE with a Logic 7 Harmon Kardon system for that Very Happy ) But I wanted decent sound quality. I am also not a techie and learnt stuff as I went along, with the help of the great people on this forum.

I have fitted a new HU (Bought an Alpine but it kept breaking, despite almost no use, today sees the arrival of a replacement Kenwood unit) and have four Alpine speakers mounted in the headlining, and a powered Alpine subwoofer behind the passenger seat. It was all very easy to put together and I'm pleased with the result.

Click image to enlarge

I didn't need Bluetooth streaming or phone etc, but I did want an AUX in and a USB socket. The Alpine speakers are all 4" as they had to fit the speaker pods from La Salle Headlining, but they are very crisp. All the speaker wire was coax but I got as thick as possible.

Mine didn't have any knee height speakers luckily but it's worth replacing all the standard rubbish that LR put in.

My HU was 60, speakers were the same, the Sub was about 100.

Hope this helps.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic10705.html 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #183400 9th Nov 2012 10:29am
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Thud wrote:
If it were me I'd spend the full whack on a kit of soundproofing from NoiseKiller. It'll do excatly the same job as buying a few cheapish components and you'll get a nicer car to boot. No-one else will agree of course.

I agree completely but when you've saved money for stereo it's not as exciting spending your money on somthing you can't see, which is why I suggested half and half with a head unit and sound proofing then more on sound proofing again later Smile
Post #183406 9th Nov 2012 11:04am
custom90

United Kingdom 
How much % difference in road noise / vehicle noise reduction would you say there was after sound proofing? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #183407 9th Nov 2012 11:07am
Thud

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
mk1collector wrote:
Thud wrote:
If it were me I'd spend the full whack on a kit of soundproofing from NoiseKiller. It'll do excatly the same job as buying a few cheapish components and you'll get a nicer car to boot. No-one else will agree of course.

I agree completely but when you've saved money for stereo it's not as exciting spending your money on somthing you can't see, which is why I suggested half and half with a head unit and sound proofing then more on sound proofing again later Smile

It's about the sound not the flashing lights and shiny new kit.
Post #183408 9th Nov 2012 11:25am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mk1collector

I know that as I was into big stereos for quite a while but your average car owner that just wants to update their system a bit usually likes the flashy lights too
Post #183411 9th Nov 2012 11:31am
Thud

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Big Cry
Post #183413 9th Nov 2012 11:33am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yes, But if the quality isn't there then they will not be happy bunnys. That said most don't know how it all works properly anyway. Whistle I always go for high power and high quality. Neither is any good without the other. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #183414 9th Nov 2012 11:34am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I really went to town on my soundproofing, the entire sides, roof and floor are all covered in the self adhesive aluminium backed closed cell foam. It cuts down the boom of the panels, cuts out the rasp from the exhaust tone. The only bit that I might look at in the future is a blanket at the back of the engine. If you open the bulkhead flaps the diesel chatter comes in.

Again, you don't need to spend much on the materials, Noisekiller's stuff is the same as the stuff I bought (I checked it out at the LRO show at Billing) but I paid much less, probably 100 in total for 6 rolls off eBay. 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #183508 9th Nov 2012 7:03pm
mk1collector

Do you have a link to the stuff you got off eBay?
Post #183517 9th Nov 2012 7:20pm
AlpenAndes

Austria 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Belize Green
Enclosing the loudspeakers and filling the enclosure with foam improves their performance as well.

Although going off topic here, putting on top of the cellfoam some soft vlies it gets even better, some may say white eagle on white ground, I still say in my car it made a difference as a second step of soundproofing. The cellfoam takes the vibrations, the soft stuff dampens the noise.
And there is a lot of space to fill on that car, even inside the doors, on the outer skin and the cardboard, now they almost sound like real car doors and not empty beer cans. Behind the dashboard as is a lot of space as well to reduce the noise from the engine. The seat boxes aren't noisy, vibrating bodies anymore after covering them with that stuff inside.

BR
Oskar
Post #183563 9th Nov 2012 9:16pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
mk1collector wrote:
Do you have a link to the stuff you got off eBay?

It was from Powerful UK. Google that and you can get it direct from them 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #183570 9th Nov 2012 9:29pm
mk1collector

I'll have a look cheers Thumbs Up
Post #183608 9th Nov 2012 10:34pm
xatzhs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Hi Guys,

Thanks very much everyone, apologies for my huge absence, I've been insanely busy, and doing a heck of a lot of driving which has led me to a nice conclusion with what I want to buy, but I still think I need a bit of help...

Basically I figured that I don't really mind that much about the noise of the vehicle and I'm not sure I'd like not being able to hear the engine properly - had I decided to go for Noisekiller I'm sure I'd be saying different things - and so I think I will give soundproofing a miss for a wee while.

Speakers wise - I don't think I can justify them all round without the sound proofing, and as someone mentioned, at the end of the day it is a vehicle, not a nightclub. It's never going to be perfect.

I am however looking at replacing my head unit. After all this driving, it would be really useful to be able to have something which can be fully integrated with my iPhone which means I can use my phone handsfree, and use the (really quite useless) Maps.

So my question is which Head Unit do I go for which has nice simple iPhone compatibility, and does it come with a microphone for the phone, where should I put it if it does and finally can anyone recommend a good mount that I can use and preferably spin through 90 degrees for my phone.

Many thanks in advance!
Post #186327 19th Nov 2012 4:08pm
mk1collector

For iPhone compatability try the oxygen o stereo and it comes with a microphone. It also come with an inbuilt iPhone holder that can be moved to vertical or horizontal and has pre outs for front, rear and sub plus an extra screen socket for building your system at a later date Thumbs Up
Post #186353 19th Nov 2012 5:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123