Home > Technical > Trailer connection
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sweatysock

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Indus Silver
Trailer connection
Hi, help appreciated

I have Ifor trailer and the lights do not want to work. I am convinced that in fact the trailer is actually ok but the connection from the defender is the issue. I do not have any elec equipment to test so am basically looking around and cleaning up connections.

Any advice to help will be appreciated. Oh and is there a fuse for the rear connection and also on the dash' what is supposed to happen to the trailer icon when trailering, should it light up much the same as you would expect from diff lock?

Thanks Keith Sweatysock
-------------
110 CSW TDCI (Puma) 2007
Post #183714 10th Nov 2012 2:48pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Trailer warning light on the dash should flash with the indicators when the trailer is connected. However if your trailer lights are not working the warning light will not come on.

You will probably find the Land Rover plug needs a good clean. Mine plays up if I have not towed for a while. Give it a good dose of WD40 and with a suitable sized screwdriver clean inside each connection. 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #183718 10th Nov 2012 3:29pm
Peter

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Re: Trailer connection
sweatysock wrote:
Hi, help appreciated

I have Ifor trailer and the lights do not want to work. I am convinced that in fact the trailer is actually ok but the connection from the defender is the issue. I do not have any elec equipment to test so am basically looking around and cleaning up connections.

Any advice to help will be appreciated. Oh and is there a fuse for the rear connection and also on the dash' what is supposed to happen to the trailer icon when trailering, should it light up much the same as you would expect from diff lock?

Thanks Keith

On my 2005 td5 the trailer light illuminates when left or right turn is selected via the indicator stalk.
Make sure the trailer plug is aligned correctly and is all the way home, my trailer lights don't work unless I press the plug fully in as its kinda broke from a tight manoeuvre a while back. Check the bulbs in trailer first then look to see is electrical relay box on trailer is ok as all the wiring should go from plug to this then to lights. Then try to trace wires from Defender female connector in case its been broken or cut in the past. Also can find someone else with a towing electrics and ask them to try.

Best I can advise at moment.,

Peter
Post #183719 10th Nov 2012 3:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
On the dash the trailer light should illuminate once with trailer disconnected when say indicating. With trailer hitched up & connected it should illuminate every time the directional indicator arrows flash. So I understand anyway. You can get a Multimeter to check power ect for only around 15 or there abouts and relatively simple to use. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #183720 10th Nov 2012 3:30pm
sweatysock

Thanks guys for prompt responses. I will come back tou (please) when I have checked what you have highlighted. Ta Very Happy Sweatysock
-------------
110 CSW TDCI (Puma) 2007
Post #183721 10th Nov 2012 3:33pm
sweatysock

Well it took a lot of effort chiselling the bolts on the defender connector to get at it to clean it but got there in the end. So all clean and working, albeit I needed to break the light guards on the trailer to get at the bulbs, but there you go. so thanks for the advise.

Now on an associated subject please. The trailer has 8inch wheels and I was going to replace them with 10 or 12 inch wheels, any views on probs or issues / things to consider, thanks Sweatysock Sweatysock
-------------
110 CSW TDCI (Puma) 2007
Post #184109 11th Nov 2012 9:07pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Which Ifor Williams trailer do you have. I've just completely refurbished mine with new wheels, tyres, brakes, LED lights, rewired etc.

I did consider changing the wheels from 10 inch to 12/13 inch but as its a twin axle it would have been too tight between the front and rear tyres. Took the trailer from Plymouth to Lymington on Friday, first time out since the rebuild and it towed really well. Therefore I would suggest keeping the original spec unless you really need to increase size.

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #184129 11th Nov 2012 9:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1