↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > MIFI
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Peter

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
MIFI
Okay it not a new DIY store, accoridng to 3 its your own personnal wifi solution for those who don't want to pay more to tether their devices through their mobiles.
Does anyone have MIFI and can it be just wired into - say my 90's loom and left running ? Does anyone know costs etc and is there an alternative than being stuck with 3 ?

Thanks

Peter
Post #183707 10th Nov 2012 1:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
We have one but it's not wired into anything mainly because I like the flexibility of being able to take into hotels the caravan etc. I generally pay about 8 quid a month which is usually more than adequate. The only time I had a big bill (28 quid) was when I lent it to my son in hospital and it used it to watch telly on his iPad.
Although our iPads are 3G ones we never use that we just go through the mifi
Regards
Barbara
Post #183709 10th Nov 2012 2:09pm
JJ

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Corris Grey
We have one at home due to the unreliability of our Virgin broadband, It is re-chargeable and sits in a dock for this and you just take it with you when you leave the house . I could take it out of the dock and see how long it lasts on the battery.
Post #183711 10th Nov 2012 2:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jasong4110

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 G4 LE Java Black
I have a both a 3G and an LTE (4G) MiFi unit, (I work for Vodafone) I can't help you with costs but as for usage agree with Brendan.

Mine is most useful in hotels where I can put it on the window sill or wherever there is a signal and use my laptop or Ipad at the desk or somewhere more practical than leaning out of the window!!

I do use it in the the Land Rover but again find that in poor signal areas I can put the unit outside on the roof and sit inside in the dry and get a better connection, you just have to remember to take it off before you drive off!!

If however you don't use that much data it is sometimes worth looking into pairing your mobile with your data devise as this can achieve the same benefit, although you can't use the phone whilst downloading/uploading on the data channel.

Jason.
Post #183712 10th Nov 2012 2:34pm
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I have one from 3, with a 15gb monthly allowance (of which I normally use 5-6gb). I use it mainly for work and that includes a lot of video conference. It costs 15/month but be a lot cheaper for those who have lighter use as Brendan has said.

It could be hard wired into your 90, though you would probably want to be able to remove it from the car as once you have it it becomes very useful. Battery on mine lasts round 4-5 hours.
Post #183713 10th Nov 2012 2:47pm
Peter

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Ok, day off so been surfing.
It appears my cheapest option would be to buy some mobile simm cards from amazon can get 3 x three 3gb for about £10 which last 1 month each, and buy a MIFI unlocked unit possibly a zte mf60, whcih can recharge via a USB connector - which is easy to fit into the dash, and maybe an extension aerial for it too.
Would in theory also mean when out and about should pick up things like near real time traffic alerts and the like.
Sorry for being a cheapskate.

Cheers for your tails.

Peter
Post #183722 10th Nov 2012 3:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1