↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Steering guards are they Puma specific? Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Pob

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Rimini Red
Steering guards are they Puma specific? Help
Hi folks

I bought a steering guard off fleebay and started to fit it and I can't get it to fit. It's as if the brackets are wrong. It is supposed to fit onto the front chassis rails where the recovery eyes are at the front and at the rear through where the steering linkage bolts onto the chassis on one side and where it would have gone had it been left hand drive on the other. But there's a bent over bit that fouls the chassis if I bolt it how it's supposed to go and if I do it to fit the chassis it does not line up on the steering guard. Even if I bodge it on it still means the steering guard will foul the chassis. Am I completely stupid (no don't answer that Whistle ) or is my guard perhaps for a pre-2007 MY Defender and somethings different on the new Defenders?

I have sent the seller a question but in the meantime thought I would ask you guys Bow down 110 Hard top
Post #18000 8th Nov 2009 12:20pm
dm_td5

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
My steering guard is the same as the one on my Tdi and fitted exactly the same way. It's not a genuine but the guy that makes them has been selling the same design for ages Tdi/Td5/Puma. Of course they are all for RHD so perhaps if your's was for a LHD it may not fit your vehicle.

So, yes, it should fit if its for a RHD Defender. 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

LROCV ::: AULRO.com
Post #18001 8th Nov 2009 1:42pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Pob

Do you happen to know if it is the Bearmach guard ?

From what you describe it sounds like a Bearmach, but I expect there are a lot of other guards that fit in the same way.

My Bearmach fitted without any problems once I found my breaker bar to undo the steering side bolt !

Any chance of a photo to help identify the guard and the problem ?

Bob

Last edited by bob neville on 8th Nov 2009 5:48pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #18002 8th Nov 2009 5:10pm
Pob

Thanks guys, I will see what I can do about a photo - might be end of the week as I am working away all week. The thing is with the brackets is that there seems to be only so many ways you can turn them around - I have tried all different configurations and it does not seem to fit. I am not sure what the make is, the box had no name on it. If it helps identify it, it is made of steel and is powder coated silver. The brackets are powder coated Black. The steel is about 5mm thick. It must fit surely, it must be me being a dope Embarassed

Here we go:-

Ebay item number eBay Item No. 170396426195

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...500wt_1182 110 Hard top
Post #18003 8th Nov 2009 5:20pm
bob neville

Pob

That is NOT a Bearmach guard but it does look very similar, especially the brackets.

Stupid question time - have you tried the brackets on the other side - the one on the left on the right and the one on the right on the left ?

I had a few minutes of head scatching when fitting mine until I realised I had the brackets on the wrong sides.

Just had a look at the brackets on mine and they look almost the same. It is too dark to get a picture.

Have the brackets got a 90 degree fold at one edge with about a 3/4 inch flange ? If they have these face inwards and line up with the top of the chassis. I originally thought these hooked over the chassis but the don't.

Bob
Post #18004 8th Nov 2009 5:40pm
Pob

They do have the fold but if I use the brackets with the folds facing inwards under the chassis then the bolt holes don't line up on the chassis. I can't see that they fit but they must do. It must be me. 110 Hard top
Post #18007 8th Nov 2009 6:37pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Pob wrote:
They do have the fold but if I use the brackets with the folds facing inwards under the chassis then the bolt holes don't line up on the chassis. I can't see that they fit but they must do. It must be me.

The guard i bought (new) for my 90 (puma) didnt fit - the drivers side passenger bolt didnt line up - one bolt size out.

So i just extended the hole; i think mine was just a guard error and i had already had enough of it so made it fit. Mike
Post #18009 8th Nov 2009 6:40pm
bob neville

Pob

The folds on mine line up near the top of the chassis with both folds pointing to the centre of the vehicle.

Looking from the front of the vehicle, the passenger side bracket is flat against the chassis with the fold at the top pointing to the left. This is the easiest one to fit as you don't have to undo the bolt holding the steering.

The folds in the brackets don't go round the chassis at all.

Also, fit the brackets without the plate attached, it is far easier - don't ask how I know this Rolling Eyes

I expect you are already doing this but I will mention it anyway, loose fit the brackets first and then attach the plate, tighten afterwards. I found that tightening the brackets before attaching the plate would not work.

Bob
Post #18010 8th Nov 2009 6:50pm
Pob

Bob it's a pity you are not near I could buy you a beer for some hands on advice Laughing

I think I need to have another phaff about with it when I am off work next Sunday and see what's going off.

I will keep you guys posted on whether it's my stupidity or not Shocked 110 Hard top
Post #18011 8th Nov 2009 7:20pm
bob neville

Pob

If you still have problems next week I will get some pictures of my guard for you.

Bob
Post #18012 8th Nov 2009 7:30pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Pob to start is it a Defender Guard Question Check the link you posted, the seller has Disco 1 and 2 Guards for sale. Check that your Defender one looks like the Defender one in his pictures.
Post #18013 8th Nov 2009 7:32pm
bob neville

Andrew

Agreed Thumbs Up

I didn't look at the other listings from the seller until you mentioned it.

I just had a look at the two Disco guards and they will certainly not fit !

Bob
Post #18014 8th Nov 2009 7:46pm
Pob

Thanks again guys, I will check and look into it. Will keep you posted for your amusement Rolling with laughter 110 Hard top
Post #18015 8th Nov 2009 7:50pm
Mad Cow

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Zermatt Silver
Certainly no difference pre-puma to the current models. My steering guard (From Rebel 4x4) was bought for my 1990 Ninety, fitted but never driven as I noticed the steering drop arm ball joint was knackered. By the time I had sorted that and got the MOT done, I had agreed to part-ex it for my Puma, so took the guard off again.

But I digress, it fitted to the new Defender just as easily as the old Ninety.

But a Disco guard will be different, so I suspect that is what you have MAD COW

2007 90 Hard Top - 2009 BMW F800GS - 2002 CCM 604E Dual Sport

Project90
Post #18021 8th Nov 2009 11:33pm
Guitarplayer

Sweden 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Maybe this will help:
http://www.rebaseonu.net/go/story/id/allma...tallation/ Land Rover Defender 110 SX Station Wagon 2007
Post #18274 13th Nov 2009 9:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>