↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Pictures & Video > Proper Mud
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Proper Mud
So, way back when (pre Big Black days) I used to help organise and run 4x4 pay and play days. As well as helping with the marshalling and what not I used to take a fair few photos...

Finally, after saying I'd do it for many months, I went through my old hard drive this afternoon and picked out a few of the many thousands of photos I'd taken to upload, as a few people I'd bumped into said they wouldn't mind seeing them again.

Just before Big Black arrived we stopped running the pay and play days due to various problems with the quarry we used. My old photo host went tits up a few months after, and soon after that so did the website I ran, 'Proper Mud'...

Anyway,

CLICKY CLICKY Smile

The three Landys we used (with the exception of a cheap shed bought on eBay...) were pretty much faultless - each got a full service after each off roading session, Old Blue did about 2000 miles in four years, but was serviced monthly!
Post #177867 21st Oct 2012 11:47pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
wow... going through the pictures, one defender has a highly similar plate to mine, there's is 23 LC, mine is 23 LD... same color car too Shocked
Post #177949 22nd Oct 2012 12:53pm
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Is that place up in the hills over Nelson? I think I went there many years ago along with some chaps from the old LRO forum. 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #177963 22nd Oct 2012 1:53pm
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
It is indeed - Briercliffe Quarry.

Used to be a very good site, but as it was a working quarry and the dodgy company they had in used to dump stuff up there too they filled in a load of the bomb holes and dug out hills, making them pretty unsafe to climb as they'd just drop away at the peak so we introduced a bit of a one way route around some hills.

The quarrying and insurance costs combined with the land owner messing us around a bit was what drove us to stop running the play days. It was a shame really, as we'd built it up quite a lot and had at least 50-odd cars turning up every month towards the end, but it wasn't fair on having to cancel last minute, especially with people coming from as far away as Liverpool or sometimes further afield.

Someone else had a go at organising a proper pay and play day after we finished, but they only lasted about 6 months or so before the land owner started messing them about too.

Now if you just go up and give him a tenner he'll let you go on and play, but he's not insured for it, so it's only a matter of time before there's an accident up there, especially seeing the type of people who go up there now (I only live about 5 minutes away and see them drive past on the way up there).

A real shame.
Post #177972 22nd Oct 2012 2:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1