↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Pictures & Video > Land Rover Caravan Racing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ellebarto

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Land Rover Caravan Racing
This is the weirdest thing I've seen. I went with my local green laning club to try a pay and play site At Willdor in Wigan. I've never been to a pay and play before and it was fun but a bit like the wild west!

Anyway, after we had a play the main event was caravan racing!

Quite happy to see those caravans getting trashed but seemed a shame to kill a Landy doing it!
Post #174206 8th Oct 2012 9:35pm
Defender-Stu

United Kingdom 
I watched this last night and will not be trying this p and p site lol and I feel sorry for the poor landies being smashed up Crying or Very sad
Post #174245 9th Oct 2012 7:16am
ellebarto

As I said, it was a bit wild but that was just one tiny part of it.

This is what we did while we were there, which was pretty good fun and valuable experience!

Post #174337 9th Oct 2012 2:27pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
@ellebarto

Just watching your vid - looks like you had fun but there are a few things you are doing wrong that are potentially dangerous

at 3.05 mins - thumbs clamped around steering wheel ! One of the first things I learnt about off-road driving that is a big Noooooo!! Always drive with thumbs on top when driving off road. That way if you get in a rut and the steering wheel is whipped away then you don't end up with torn ligaments or worse!

3.26 - handling steel winch cable without gloves - have you ever seen the barbs you can get on a wire rope? nasty cutty stabby things. Even new ones can cut when under tension. ALWAYS use gloves with wire cable (and as best practice with plasma winch ropes too)

3.38 - wrapping winch cable around tree NOT using a tree strop /protector. A HUGE NO NO. Protects both the tree and the cable (think about the hook putting pressure on the cable - potential for snappy moments)

3.51 - live winching with people standing within 'pinging' distance of the winch line. Cheese cutter territory if it goes snap! HUGE NO NO.

Not wanting to ***s on your candle or anything, don't wish to offend and everyone has to start somewhere! As you are in a green lane club it is odd that no-one has mentioned all these points before though. But Thumbs Up for having fun just do it a bit more safely chaps! Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #174431 9th Oct 2012 7:18pm
ellebarto

Pam W wrote:
@ellebarto

Just watching your vid - looks like you had fun but there are a few things you are doing wrong that are potentially dangerous

at 3.05 mins - thumbs clamped around steering wheel ! One of the first things I learnt about off-road driving that is a big Noooooo!! Always drive with thumbs on top when driving off road. That way if you get in a rut and the steering wheel is whipped away then you don't end up with torn ligaments or worse!

3.26 - handling steel winch cable without gloves - have you ever seen the barbs you can get on a wire rope? nasty cutty stabby things. Even new ones can cut when under tension. ALWAYS use gloves with wire cable (and as best practice with plasma winch ropes too)

3.38 - wrapping winch cable around tree NOT using a tree strop /protector. A HUGE NO NO. Protects both the tree and the cable (think about the hook putting pressure on the cable - potential for snappy moments)

3.51 - live winching with people standing within 'pinging' distance of the winch line. Cheese cutter territory if it goes snap! HUGE NO NO.

Not wanting to ***s on your candle or anything, don't wish to offend and everyone has to start somewhere! As you are in a green lane club it is odd that no-one has mentioned all these points before though. But Thumbs Up for having fun just do it a bit more safely chaps!

No that's fine, all input accepted. Its my brother driving with thumbs around the wheel! Wink

I've no experience to speak of but you can see from the text on the video I was aware after the event that some things were wrong however you can get too drama queen with winching in my opinion. That was a very short winch with a brand new cable (gloves were in the boot) A tree strop should have been used for sure!

Cables snapping and pinging back with enough force to do damage have to be under significantly more load than that!

But as I said, points understood and ready to be implemented next time!
Post #174449 9th Oct 2012 7:45pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Pam, You are spoiling the poor boys fun...... OK, you are right, also if using wire ropes (or synthetics) I would suggest a winch sail Thumbs Up I also couldn't stop laughing at the turning circle of the Pajero...... and 110 drivers say their trucks are bad!!. Good video editing etc though, must admit that is something on my list of things to learn how to do.

As for the caravan thing...... I have seen off-roading with caravans- where the idea is to get around a course with a regular caravan in one piece. But I couldn't grasp the concept of that- it is like a bunch of red necks with too much money.
One of the reasons I am not keen on pay and play sites as half the people there don't know how to drive properly and it is all about destroying trucks Rolling Eyes

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #174454 9th Oct 2012 7:57pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
@ellebarto - fair enough that the actual winch you were doing wasn't particularly high risk, it is MUCH better to practice safe procedures at all times. Not only because there may be unseen risks but also you are helping others (bystanders, new people to the sport) to learn safely. If you do it safe all the time then it is becomes normal rather than a being PITA.

@Glyn - the term 'rednecks' sprang to my mind also! Can't see the point. We stopped going to P&P many years ago cos there were just too many hoons and there was accidents waiting to happen around every corner (or over every brow)!

Just to clarify I'm not just quoting stuff out of books and t'internet - I've been around off-roading circles for around 25 years. I've seen quite a few 'near misses' with cable snaps, etc, and really it only lady luck's smile that means I've not seen anyone badly hurt - Plenty of broken windscreens, torn bumpers, etc, but fortunately nothing worse.
I've also winch-biatched on some pretty extreme events including Irish Three Peaks Challenge, Muddy Truckers and the Outback Challenge (Australia).

I've also worked on construction sites and been a H&S leader. I know H&S can seem over the top at times, but doing the little things right can stop the big nasty things happening.

Cheers! Thumbs Up Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #174460 9th Oct 2012 8:08pm
ellebarto

I'd only ever done green laning before and I always said to the guys in our club that pay and play didn't interest me and like you say it was red neck central and very dangerous! We did our own thing and stayed safe, maybe getting lucky with the winching!

They didn't seem like people with money so it was surprising to see them driving the cars like that, especially the nice series!
Post #174468 9th Oct 2012 8:24pm
pom

its those sheds on wheels that ruin it for the rest. Hope the police go over them with a fine tooth-comb.

Pom
Post #174554 10th Oct 2012 8:55am
ellebarto

pom wrote:
its those sheds on wheels that ruin it for the rest. Hope the police go over them with a fine tooth-comb.

Pom

That's a broad statement. There are a lot of very expensive and well maintained machines there as well.

I've just been told that the organisers thought this weekend was too wild west and are banning the racing, enforcing speed limits but nothing about checking the safety of individual vehicles! Quite a few ere trailered there!
Post #174555 10th Oct 2012 9:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1