↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Doors stolen... time to sell?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
miket

Doors stolen... time to sell?
Hi

I'm a long time lurker on this forum, but thought I'd finally drop a line to seek some advice. I've got a 110 tdci DC and my four doors were stolen on Monday night/Tuesday morning. I had a disklok on the steering wheel and the bonnet wasn't taken, so I suppose I should be thankful for small mercies.

I'm now starting wonder whether there is any point keeping the vehicle when the doors etc will probably only get nicked again since the thieves know where I live and will know that I'm replacing the doors. My question is this - has anyone has had their doors/bonnet taken after filling in the bolt heads with resin/ball bearings, and/or making the bonnet hinges more secure?

Cheers

Mike
Post #173348 5th Oct 2012 12:24pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Welcome to the forum....

Never had my doors pinched in the first place, but I did carry out the modification....see link below....

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic8589.h...p;start=15 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #173351 5th Oct 2012 12:38pm
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
My main dealer advised me to fill the bolt holes with araldite or ball bearings too. I have just used araldite at the moment, and last time I checked, they were still there. Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #173352 5th Oct 2012 12:41pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
has this been reported on Landywatch?

Bit of a sus first post IMHO....
Post #173377 5th Oct 2012 2:12pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
T1G UP wrote:

Sus or not he's welcome to 'have a go' at getting my doors off. I'll give him predetermined timescale and then reap my revenge with my chainsaw and blowlamp on his nads if he's still there.

Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #173381 5th Oct 2012 2:16pm
miket

Thanks for the follow-up so far.

Regarding my post being a bit 'sus' - it probably might have been 'sus' if I'd been asking how to remove a door that had been fixed with resin/ball bearings, but as it was I was just asking whether it made them secure.

As it is I'm starting to think that some resin and ball bearings for the doors, and new hinges and a bike lock for the bonnet might just be enough to make the tea leaves go and nick someone else's doors. That and I'll sleep in it.

Cheers

Mike
Post #173403 5th Oct 2012 4:19pm
RLD

United Kingdom 
don't give up on it as the scum have won there are things out there to stop this happening Thumbs Up RLD fabricator of Hidden Winch Mount for D3/4 roof racks jerry can holders CB aerial mounts and much more and agent for Helsport Tents and gear
Post #173415 5th Oct 2012 4:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Ball bearings in hinge screw heads and decent cable lock on bonnet makes life harder for them .... did mine a while ago 'just in case' Rolling Eyes

Another cheapish worthwhile deterrent - buy a cheapo alarm system [one of those 'only 2 wire connection' jobbies] and fit it inside your landie wired direct to the pos and neg on the battery. Then fit another earth lead direct from battery to the bodywork under seat somewhere.

Those cheap jobbies work by sensing battery drain [when interior lights come on] so as soon as they open first door off go's the alarm Cool

Extra earth lead inside prevents them disconnecting original earth lead to kill the electrical system .... and even if they fuse out the factory alarm system the cheapo jobbie will still be on standby Thumbs Up Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #173444 5th Oct 2012 8:05pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
K9F wrote:
T1G UP wrote:

Sus or not he's welcome to 'have a go' at getting my doors off. I'll give him predetermined timescale and then reap my revenge with my chainsaw and blowlamp on his nads if he's still there.

Laughing

True. sorry if i am suspect but i do own a 110 with 4k worth of doors!

sorry for your loss. i'd be going mental if some skank nicked my doors.....BUT i have my security in place
Post #173470 5th Oct 2012 10:12pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Have a word with Kevin at mud stuff he has some good ideas on security Thumbs Up
Post #173479 5th Oct 2012 10:29pm
miket

Thanks for the follow-up. Regarding the extra earth lead, is this just a simple case of connecting a new earth strap from the negative terminal to the side of the battery compartment?

Thanks again

Mike
Post #174184 8th Oct 2012 8:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1