Home > Off Topic > Diesel economy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lukev01

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Diesel economy
Hi all.

SWMBO's Skoda is supposed to get 60+mpg but has not managed more than 45ish in its first 2 years. It gets decent runs most of the time on the daily commute and the previous one was supposed to be less economical but performed better.

Is it worth getting a tuner to give it a diagnostic? I am posting here because I know so many forum members get remaps, diagnostic tests done, etc.

Any advice welcome. If we can find out what is causing the problem, we can get the dealer to do it under warranty. Every request so far has met with vague responses or suggestions that it is down to driving style. Evil or Very Mad 1970 Series 2A 88"
Post #171411 27th Sep 2012 10:03pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
I run a fleet of 5 diesel Smart cars. They are supposed to return 85 mpg however we rarely get 60mpg from them. The manufacturers figures are based on perfect conditions. I.e. no lights on, windows closed, a/c off, driven at a continuous speed. Unfortunately the Smarts are driven by gorillas, with lead feet, with the A/c on whilst listening to radio 1 on full blast.

Hopefully your Skoda is running correctly, you might find its just the way it's driven. I don't imply driven badly just not under manufacturers test conditions ! 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #171417 27th Sep 2012 10:12pm
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
For what it's worth, I have a Golf 2.0tdi (so probably a similar engine) and it does 45mpg driven normally, 50mpg driven carefully and 60mpg if driven in a funeral-procession style (as in rolling for half a mile before every roundabout). That's with 110k on the clock.

Might take a good while to loosen the engine up - what's the mileage?
Post #171424 27th Sep 2012 10:29pm
Welshsurferdude

Wales 
Landlord wrote:
I run a fleet of 5 diesel Smart cars. They are supposed to return 85 mpg however we rarely get 60mpg from them. The manufacturers figures are based on perfect conditions. I.e. no lights on, windows closed, a/c off, driven at a continuous speed. Unfortunately the Smarts are driven by gorillas, with lead feet, with the A/c on whilst listening to radio 1 on full blast.

Hopefully your Skoda is running correctly, you might find its just the way it's driven. I don't imply driven badly just not under manufacturers test conditions !

estate agent? hahaha

(PS steps are looking good!) 2008 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)

2015 Discovery 4.5 Black pack Firenze red XS

2008 Corris Grey 110 XS USW (sold)

2011 Santorini Black 110 XS USW (Sold)
Post #171472 28th Sep 2012 8:38am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
just for a change mine's in for warranty work and they've kindly leant me a citreon ds3. 1.6 diesel (90hp I understand).

anyway I did 200+ mile round trip to bristol the other day and got an average of 82.9mpg. I don't know but suspect that's in excess of the extra urban quoted by the manufacturer.

as with my defender and picasso before that getting a better return than quoted seems to be quote achievable but you need patience and the correct driving style. its now back down to c68mpg as I was in rather more of a rush yesterday (and its quite good fun red lining it in 1st 2nd 3rd Very Happy

oh and the back needs a little more grip when you lift off going round islands Shocked Laughing
Post #171478 28th Sep 2012 8:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1