↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > the ongoing disaster that is
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
the ongoing disaster that is
My parents claim for repairs to our jimmy.

We have just got our jimmy back from the accident repair shop. First thing it gets is a trailer to tow its a work car after all. As I'm taking the trailer off something looks wrong took a while to work out but the tow bar is bent. Upwards. In two planes. The box section cross member that the detach is welded to curves up in the middle when viewed from the back and when viewed from the side with the swan neck in the mount has twisted up. Now given the car was hit on the drivers rear wheel and spun 90 degrees into a ditch I'm now seriously concerned that the whole car is straight. Useless gibbons.

(rant off) Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #170355 24th Sep 2012 6:00am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
You have my sympathy.

When I was in an accident about 10 years ago the insurance company assesed the work and decided it was repairable but only just....... but as they carried on with the work the costs kept of rising as there were more and more problems. So to make sure they didn't go over budget they scrimped and saved on lots of other jobs- which included chassis geomatry as they didn't think I would notice Rolling Eyes

Without seeing it I wouldn't have thought they would have repaired that car if the impact was enough to smash the car 90 degrees- all sorts of chassis problems.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #170364 24th Sep 2012 7:44am
lambert.the.farmer

Fortunately if that is the word the damage was inflicted in a very localized area as it was a glancing blow from a bike sliding down the road on its side. Any how I'm taking it back to the repairers with my mech eng head on they can try and convince me its right rather than fobbing off my oap parents. From a company that operates nation wide I might have hoped for a more thorough service. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #170373 24th Sep 2012 9:25am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
See how far you get. With mine it took about 50 phone calls and an AA vehicle check to legaly highlight the problem. Best bit was the enginner found even more problems which in the end cost the insurance company a further £5,000 (car was only worth about £8,000!!!).

Good luck,
Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #170374 24th Sep 2012 9:45am
lambert.the.farmer

Wowsers.

Well been back, they agree it's bent. Now waiting for insurance to think about it. We'll see mid week I guess. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #170400 24th Sep 2012 12:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1