↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Orange or T-Mobile for my new iPhone ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Glyn - I agree only a 10 a month contract with O2 for me all that I shall ever need sim only plan and an 80 Samsung phone again all that I will need. And no one can give me that 21st century talk.... I'm 20 and find it perfectly suitable for me. Thumbs Up Only thing I ever really often use on it is the camera use that a lot. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #168419 14th Sep 2012 5:52pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I have a company iPhone on T Mobile which is free for me to use and a Vodaphone PAYG SIM in my own phone which is a three year old Land Rover phone. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #168422 14th Sep 2012 6:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jasong4110

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 G4 LE Java Black
davew wrote:
Glynparry25 wrote:
24month contracts!!!........WTF

Sorry for letting the 21st century disturb your slumber, would a mug of cocoa help ? Smile

I believe O2 and Vodaphone are also combining infrastructures and they seem to be hanging their hopes on that to supply any level of 4G package before 2014 by using the same route that EE have already taken. Once the auctions are resolved no doubt things will change but for at least the next 6 months and probably longer the ONLY operator that will be supplying 4G in the UK will be Orange/T-Mobile. Three are another potential option as they have bought a slice of the spectrum from EE.

I'm still using a 3GS and have been holding on for the iPhone 5 to be available before upgrading. What it boils down to in the end is that in the next 6 months to a year only one supplier is expected to have any form of 4G support at all for the iPhone 5 and that's EE. After that O2/Vodaphone MIGHT finally make a move but there's no guarantee they'll support the iPhone 5 when they do.

in the mean time I still have to decide... T-Mobile or Orange ! Smile

Vodafone and O2 are not combining and have no intention to, Rolling with laughter what we have started to do is share mast sites but still use our transmission equipment. It is helping both networks improve coverage whilst not having to wait two years for planning.

As before we have been planning LTE for over two years and have made the required changes to the network all ready ensuring the LTE roll out will be swift.

LTE transmission at 800mhz require far fewer base stations than current 3G/GSM cells which will again will speed up deployment.

Again as above announcements about roll out will com thick and fast after January

Jason
Post #168440 14th Sep 2012 7:56pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
jasong4110 wrote:

Vodafone and O2 are not combining and have no intention to, Rolling with laughter what we have started to do is share mast sites but still use our transmission equipment. It is helping both networks improve coverage whilst not having to wait two years for planning.

The Vodaphone UK CEO said otherwise in June, according to the various news articles he said they would combine infrastructure as a way of evolving the current partnership.

Quote:
One physical grid, running independent networks, will mean greater efficiency, fewer site builds, broader coverage and, crucially, investment in innovation and better competition for the customer.

We have learned a lot from our existing network collaboration but now it is time for it to evolve. This partnership will improve the service that customers receive today and give Britain the 4G networks that it will need tomorrow.

Vodafone and Telefonica UK will now jointly operate and manage a single network grid in the UK, on which they will both offer competing mobile services for voice and data.

And I think I've decided on Orange for anyone that's interested in the original question ! Smile (Although I may swing back towards T-Mobile if Orange don't allow tethering) http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #168476 14th Sep 2012 10:39pm
jasong4110

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 G4 LE Java Black
Quote from the press release:

The two companies will pool their hardware, which means things like towers and masts. When the dust has settled, the operators plan to, operate on a single grid of 18,500 masts, which will result in a 10 per cent reduction of the total number of UK sites used by the two companies.

So as my original comment Yes we are looking at as single RF grid footprint but with separate infrastructures for transmission and back end, where new sites are required to offer full LTE coverage and speed up roll out.

This is very different from the EE merger.
Post #168482 14th Sep 2012 10:56pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Jason - no where did Dave imply that V and O2 are merging as companies. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes He said they are combining some of their infrastructures - which is what the companies have said (as quoted by both of you)! Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #168483 14th Sep 2012 11:04pm
davew

I'm just glad I didn't ask a more complex question, such as, should I buy a Black iPhone 5 or a White iPhone 5 !!! Smile http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #168489 14th Sep 2012 11:30pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
davew wrote:
I'm just glad I didn't ask a more complex question, such as, should I buy a Black iPhone 5 or a White iPhone 5 !!! Smile

White iPhone to match your name.
Barbara
Post #168514 15th Sep 2012 8:10am
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
I told him he had to have a black one (as we both have now) as white ones are too girly and put me in mind of people who wear white stilettos and drive pink cars! Laughing Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #168519 15th Sep 2012 8:32am
jont

2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Santorini Black
The really frustrating thing - and it's bound to generate negative press in a similar way to the iPad 3 did - is that you will only ever be able to use the 4g facility of the iPhone 5 on the EE 4g network in the UK !! ... although that will be open to the two EE sub-brands of orange and t-mobile ...

Even when O2 and Vodafone get their networks up and running it will be on a different frequency and the iPhone 5 won't work on them for 4g -you will have to buy an iPhone 5s next year with the right 4g chip in it ...

But don't blame Apple for this ... The allocation of 4g frequencies around the world is a real dogs breakfast and there is no worldwide 4g chip made (yet) ... In fact Apple is having to produce three different versions of the iPhone 5 for different continents just to try and deliver a phone that will work with as many 4g networks as 'currently' available ...
Post #168520 15th Sep 2012 8:35am
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Im 12months into my 2yr contract with Orange and as soon as they announce when they will be releasing the required nano sim cards that the iphone5 needs, I'll be buying my iphone5 sim free directly from Apple. Ill then get my details swapped from my current sim over to the nano sim.

In 12months time when my contract is up, and seeing as my iphone wont be locked to any provider, I will then consider a 'sim only' contract, perhaps from GifGaf who are currently offering something like 250 mins/unlimited texts/unlimited data for 10/month.
Post #168540 15th Sep 2012 10:34am
davew

jont wrote:
The really frustrating thing - and it's bound to generate negative press in a similar way to the iPad 3 did - is that you will only ever be able to use the 4g facility of the iPhone 5 on the EE 4g network in the UK !! ... although that will be open to the two EE sub-brands of orange and t-mobile ...

Even when O2 and Vodafone get their networks up and running it will be on a different frequency and the iPhone 5 won't work on them for 4g -you will have to buy an iPhone 5s next year with the right 4g chip in it ...

But don't blame Apple for this ... The allocation of 4g frequencies around the world is a real dogs breakfast and there is no worldwide 4g chip made (yet) ... In fact Apple is having to produce three different versions of the iPhone 5 for different continents just to try and deliver a phone that will work with as many 4g networks as 'currently' available ...

I'm not sure it's as clear cut as that, only time will tell I guess.

You'll remember that Apple got flamed by both the press and the official bodies in the UK for announcing the iPad as having 4G. In some countries that was justified (Australia). In the UK they were told that was against trade descriptions because there wasn't a 4G network available to support it. Essentially Apple were told they couldn't specify a device had a feature if there wasn't an infrastructure to support it. As a result it would not be legal in the UK for Apple to say they supported the 800MHz frequency because the network isn't yet available to support it. That doesn't actually mean the iPhone can't support it if/when it does become available though.

Apple also announced in the keynote that the iPhone 5 has a number of different aerials built into it for different 4G frequencies and the comms chip can switch between them as required. O2 were also listed as one of the partners that they were working with for future 4G use in Europe with the O2 logo being placed over the UK where the EE logo had been in the "working now/soon" bit.

You'll note that they list the 850MHz support which actually covers most of the 800MHz band anyway but 850MHz is the band being used in Australia.

I'm fairly confident of two things...
1) As an "early adopter" I'm going to find 4G frustrating at first.
2) There WILL be an updated iPhone in 12 months time and I'll have to wait until the phone after that to upgrade again Smile

I pre-ordered mine from Orange last night. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #168548 15th Sep 2012 12:39pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I'm on orange and have been for aboutn15 years, coverage has always seemed good, customer service good when I've needed it. As far as coverage is concerned if orange drops out I get tmobile signal instead, as I believe they have combined something (but not sure what)

No idea if they are the best deal bt always seems reasonable to me, I don't text much or send picture messages, but do phone a fair bit and use tinternet ( also use the wifi hot spot but that's another story Thumbs Up )

Does not matter what colour iPhone you get as you'll almost certainly put it in a case and cover it up Wink

Dj 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #168822 16th Sep 2012 11:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12