↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Td5 running problem after new engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
OR does that just mean that you can't mix & match different pistons in the block... say three EU3 and 2 earlier pistons all mixes in together?
Post #165872 2nd Sep 2012 7:35am
v8bobber

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Java Black
I don't think so. That's not what interchangeable means to me anyway.

From doing some further research it seems that the pistons differ by means of the chamber being a different shape having different contours, although it is about the same size. It is offset on the later pistons too.

However, I have received an email from Turner engineering who state that you CAN put a later head on an earlier bottom end, and I'm sure that they must know what they are doing?

Still doesn't make sense though!

The saga continues!

Dave
Post #165904 2nd Sep 2012 11:45am
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
i was told you CANNOT mix heads. The 10p engine has plastic dowels the 15/16p has metal dowels.

The 15p has different cam timing, different pistons, ecu etc etc etc. Tjis won't cause the stalling as that must be fuel related.
Post #165908 2nd Sep 2012 11:56am
v8bobber

Well,

Seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. Turner engineering and a couple of others are saying that using the newer head on the older block isn't a problem although it appears that Land Rover themselves say that the pistons are not interchangeable.

I would like to think that then engine should run fine with this set up purely by the fact that the engine ran so well when it first started, surely if the bits were incompatible mechanically, the engine would not have run well in the first place.

I will try and organise for the vehicle to be booked into the dealer on Weds and see what happens. I think that i've run out of things to check between now and then!

Dave
Post #166047 2nd Sep 2012 9:33pm
T1G UP

v8bobber wrote:
Well,

Seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. Turner engineering and a couple of others are saying that using the newer head on the older block isn't a problem although it appears that Land Rover themselves say that the pistons are not interchangeable.

I would like to think that then engine should run fine with this set up purely by the fact that the engine ran so well when it first started, surely if the bits were incompatible mechanically, the engine would not have run well in the first place.

I will try and organise for the vehicle to be booked into the dealer on Weds and see what happens. I think that i've run out of things to check between now and then!

Dave

Personally a dealer isn't the best place for a bitsa td5. they won't have the experience.

Try a good indy, dependant on where you are you have a decent choice in the midlands, and further out.

Bell autos, IRB developements, TD5 alive to mention a few.
Post #166049 2nd Sep 2012 9:40pm
v8bobber

Yes I agree,

The dealer is only 3 or 4 miles away mind and I know the guy that runs the service centre

IRB is 240 miles away, Bell auto services is 340 miles away and td5 alive is 350 miles away - you can see my predicament.

The way things are going, I am thinking about towing the Land Rover to IRB if I can't sort it locally.

Dave
Post #166063 2nd Sep 2012 10:53pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
There's an Indy in Hereford who has a fair reputation and is one who likes to get his teeth into the different. If you want to go that route I can pm his details to you.
Post #166236 3rd Sep 2012 10:38pm
T1G UP

JWL wrote:
There's an Indy in Hereford who has a fair reputation and is one who likes to get his teeth into the different. If you want to go that route I can pm his details to you.

thats worth a call
Post #166242 3rd Sep 2012 11:29pm
v8bobber

Hi All,

Issue is now sorted. I'm glad I made the decision to go to the local dealer and didn't trailer it half way round the country.

Between myself and the engineer there, the problem was spotted whilst having a good poke around.

Unbelievably, the cam pulley bolts had loosened, and the pulley had slipped round throwing the timing out a little, which was just enough to make it difficult to start and run like a bag of spanners.

Just a torrential front crank oil seal to fix now and I might actually get to drive the bloody thing.

Thanks one and all for the advice

Dave
Post #166642 6th Sep 2012 1:00am
DarrenJ

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Glad it's sorted Darren
Post #166643 6th Sep 2012 6:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123