↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Bye bye Landy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Forest of Dean 90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Bye bye Landy
Well after 5 years of love and hate I'm letting my 90 Puma go, I know I'll have second thoughts because its been such a good work horse (when its worked, 4 egr valves 2 clutches 1 gear box etc) but dispite the faults.

I went and looked a new 110 as replacement and found the dealer most unhelpfull and rude to the point i walked out (not what you expect for your looking to part with a load of cash !!)

Who knows if I'll have another Landy, supose the real test will be in the snow if I can get the Mitsubishi out !!

Thank to those who have offered help and advice over the last few years

Regards Ken
Post #163539 21st Aug 2012 7:21pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
well they didn't fair much better when i wanted to buy one.

Theres loads of late 2.4 pumas about so theres deals to be had.
Post #163543 21st Aug 2012 7:48pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
Re: Bye bye Landy
Forest of Dean 90 wrote:
I went and looked a new 110 as replacement and found the dealer most unhelpfull and rude to the point i walked out (not what you expect for your looking to part with a load of cash !!)

We went to four dealers in north Kent, three of them could barely be bothered to gaze at us before turning away. Service was awful because I'm not the tidiest of people but it was their loss. We were very sad when we got rid of our Smart, had it for seven years and you get attached to them and get used to their issues.
Post #163576 21st Aug 2012 9:29pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I would have mine cleaned & valeted as much as possible before selling/trading in.

Perhaps LR concession garages, more than the LR magazines are becoming less interested in Defender buyers than any other LR vehicle. Sometimes no Defender in a showroom even, to make room for the SUVs. Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #164198 24th Aug 2012 7:16pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Have fun Ken.

A typical error in any trade, that is, judging a book by it's cover.
My friend ( who is a Multi millionaire) went to the Ferrari dealer in Wilmslow some years ago, I was with him, we went in his Subaru and he wanted a 355, they ignored us for a while at first and when he asked for a test drive, they played him off, had his address off him and said they will bring one to his house to try.
They never showed up.
A few weeks later he went in his Aston Martin (17th Birthday Prezzie) and the staff were all over him, he soon told them exactly what he thought of them Mr. Green
Sale lost.
Post #164215 24th Aug 2012 8:14pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
When we had certain issues with our local main LR dealership, we landed up talking to the group general manager. Whereas he understood Defenders and Defender owners he admitted that the majourity of staff did not understand Defenders and their owners. At this main dealership they sold 2,500 Land Rovers a year, however they only sold 50 defenders/year.

Basically the sales staff do not understand or know about Defenders, (or care about Defenders). I had to show the sales rep where the battery was in a Defender!

Yes trying to get sales staff to understand that the guy in scruffy smelly clothes might be after 3-7 Defenders this week, next week he might be after top of the range Range Rover!

Brendan
Post #164232 24th Aug 2012 9:14pm
BigWheels

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
When its back on the road, I'm going to my LR dealer in my Series 2 (to get some parts for the Defender), & will park it by the most expensive vehicle on display. Twisted Evil Land Rover Defenders. 67 years heritage, minimal appearance changes, still going strong all over the world. Not a fashion vehicle, but fashionable to own. Made for the needy, not the greedy. Ta ta Defender
Post #164307 25th Aug 2012 10:52am
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
ken,
was that the dealer at staverton near gloucester?

it took ages to get a just a quote from them.

it got to the point that i was going to have to contact LR directly to see how to purchase a new defender!

its a nice feeling going into a dealer with a new car, that you bought elsewhere, because they didn't think that you were able (or deserved?) to purchase from them Smile
Post #164919 28th Aug 2012 4:40pm
dulwich man

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I my self have had difficulties with a london based LR dealership. Hence I take mine to Lewis in Sussex as they do sell and service loads of them, however this does seem a common problem.

Why not get the forum to complain as a group over the lack of Defender understandaing at some dealerships directly to a top dog at landrover?

Just a thought
Post #164939 28th Aug 2012 6:29pm
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Not sure LR care!.

They seem to put little effort into making sure their vehicles are fit for purpose.
Post #164941 28th Aug 2012 6:33pm
chadjizz

England 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Orkney Grey
dulwich man wrote:
Hence I take mine to Lewis in Sussex as they do sell and service loads of them, however this does seem a common problem.

is that caffins? any good? i am thinking of taking mine there in stead of harwards in edenbridge.
Post #164972 28th Aug 2012 9:21pm
Dan A

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
chadjizz wrote:
dulwich man wrote:
Hence I take mine to Lewis in Sussex as they do sell and service loads of them, however this does seem a common problem.

is that caffins? any good? i am thinking of taking mine there in stead of harwards in edenbridge.

Yes that's them bought mine from there other year. Great service and they had more defenders than any other dealer iv ever been to.
Post #164973 28th Aug 2012 9:25pm
dulwich man

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
chadjizz wrote:
dulwich man wrote:

Yup there the ones never had a problem with them and they seem to be doing well as they have just rebuilt there show room AND workshop facilities. Perhaps a bold move in these hard to find money times for investment Thumbs Up
Post #165020 28th Aug 2012 11:53pm
Bearcat

Ireland 
i have just let my landie go for no other reason that the mrs said she was sick of driving my amazon.....i picked up a citreon c5 auto estate for her(yeah i iknow) and took back my amazon.....traded my landie as 2 jeeps in the drive is madness moneywise.

As an aside with the bad snow two years ago and where I live we were upto our necks in it.....only two jeeps plied our roads then....the landie and the amazon.

Sorry to see my landie go......no compliants about her....a reliable workhourse and the diss tdci brigade can take a jump. That tdci engine if looked after will go forever just like my toyota.

regards Current...07 90 Puma commercial
Porsche 930 1988 (laid up)
Previous Td5 90 & V8 90
Post #165569 31st Aug 2012 1:51pm
Forest of Dean 90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
farmer giles

Yep it was at Staverton, they only want Wayne Rooney's in there.

2 weeks on I miss the old girl !!
Post #167246 10th Sep 2012 3:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>