↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Noisy rear wheel bearing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MD5

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Noisy rear wheel bearing
I'm just back at home after a 5700km trip across Morocco, Spain and France.
Travel went fine except some problem from a dirty (or defective) MAP sensor and from a bearing noise coming from the right wheel on the rear axle, with grease all over the wheel.

I would like to know if there is a "maintenance-kit" that include all the needed stuff (I think bearings and seal).
I also read that is suggested to use seal from old Defender series due to different, more lasting design.

Any information about what P/N to buy really appreciated, thanks.
Post #164659 27th Aug 2012 7:19am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
dont paddocks or similar do a wheel bearing kit?

better still, get Bearmach rather than Britpart and ring Exeter 4x4 and tell them you want all the bits to do the job and they will make it up for you

bearings x 2
spacer
seal x1
stake nut (or swap to old style) (2 nuts, spacer washer and locking washer)
drive member gasket

do it sooner rather than later and save the stub Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #164751 27th Aug 2012 6:46pm
HotelCharlie

Greece 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Same problem here, no noise yet but oil sprayed on the wheel from the drive member seal.
My understanding is (but I could be wrong): that the differential oil is migrating along the drive shaft and through a tired gasket/seal, washing up the grease from the bearings.
I'm planning on doing the job real soon, but i can't figure how to choose or mesure the spacer between the bearings (seven different references TOF100000 to TOF100060, 14.9mm to 15.5mm).
Why did they change from the 2 locknuts and bent washer setup?
Some mention silicon sealant to replace the paper seal. Any voices against that?
Post #164815 27th Aug 2012 11:59pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i use RTV or similar to seal the surfaces for the drive member.

spacer depends on how much wear/play there is in the bearings.

just ditch the spacer and use two washers and a locking washer. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #164832 28th Aug 2012 6:43am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
HotelCharlie wrote:
...I'm planning on doing the job real soon, but i can't figure how to choose or mesure the spacer between the bearings (seven different references TOF100000 to TOF100060, 14.9mm to 15.5mm).

Easy enough, assemble with the standard (thickest) spacer, then measure endfloat and depending on the reading select appropriate thinner spacer. It's all in the WSM. Yo will needs a dial gauge, but in theory you needed one anyway in the pre-spacer days.

HotelCharlie wrote:
...Why did they change from the 2 locknuts and bent washer setup?

It requires virtually no skill to assemble and is therefore cheaper to build with fewer QC issues in the factory.

HotelCharlie wrote:
...Some mention silicon sealant to replace the paper seal. Any voices against that?

Use rtv or blue Hylomar. The paper gasket is not really much use, and there are no particularly compelling reasons to continue with it.

Also, consider using spring washers (instead of thread locker) on the six bolts which secure the driving member to the hub. The problem with thread locker is that in time (and with the inevitable ingress of sealant into the hole) the amount of gunge in the hole can build up with the result that the bolts shear either when unscrewing or screwing them in. This is a major pita and often requires a new hub to be fitted. With spring washers and the correct torque there should be no retension issues and this problem won't happen.

Note also that these bolts are not standard grade 8.8 but are 10.9 if you have to replace them. I prefer to use hex socket head cap screws since the standard for these is 10.9 and the heads don't foul the wheel centres when using 30mm wheel spacers.

If you convert to the old (two nuts) arrangement you don't need the spacer (and of course don't need to torque the hub up so tight).

If you keep to the spacer arrangement you can either use the single stake nut or the two nuts/bent washer arrangement. If using the single stake nut, don't buy Britpart since when I made this mistake I found that the threads in the nuts were different to those on the stub axle!
Post #164867 28th Aug 2012 12:18pm
HotelCharlie

Greece 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Thank you for the infos,
Looking closely at the drive member bolts made me realise that one of them sheared.
Does this really mean a new hub?
Post #165026 29th Aug 2012 1:08am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Don't tell anyone but for the last 50,000 miles or so there have only been 5 bolts in my rear offside drive flange for the same reason, so no, it should be quite alright to leave alone indefinitely.

One day I will try to drill it out but I reckon that repairing it is more likely to wreck the hub than doing nothing.
Post #165042 29th Aug 2012 8:24am
MD5

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Thanks all for the advice but I must admit that I'm confused to do a DIY repair. I will ask a more experienced people to do the job and while I see what he do I will probably learn something...
Post #165247 30th Aug 2012 6:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1