↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > New vehicle checks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
New vehicle checks
Land Rover are finnaly gtting their act together, and I should be off to pick my new Defender on Friday. What problems ave people ome accross with their new vehicles when picking them up. I know the usual checks but what are the 'Pumaisms' I should look out for?

Thanks,
Glyn
Post #11999 15th Jun 2009 1:02pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
I am sure others will point out stuff like paint and pannel fit but when I picked up my mine a few months back there was bare metal (no paint Shocked just shiny metal) showing through on parts of the chassis (about 3 or 4 places). I made a bit of a thing of it and Gaydon did ring me but I gave up in the end and undersealed it myself.
Post #12000 15th Jun 2009 1:15pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Glyn

Check the paintwork on the tailgate and below. On both the ones I have had it looks like they were both sprayed from an angle and anything that was obstructed did not get painted ! Look at both sides of the tailgate hinges and also the panel below the tailgate.

Also make sure everything is fitted, missing front bumper end caps seem to be the norm !

Bob
Post #12003 15th Jun 2009 1:32pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
dont pick it up in the rain as i did - and not look at the roof Mike
Post #12011 15th Jun 2009 5:43pm
niglyn

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Check you get both remote fobs. I only got one & the dealer seems to be quite happy to let the vehicle pass it's PDI with only one fob. Have looked under the bonnet but cannot see a second one, which apparently is where LR put the second fob. LR cust. care say Defenders come with two fobs, as does the manual.

My rear wheel arch eyebrows both have not been fitted correctly as the rear bottom fixing hole in the eyebrow does not line up with thew hole in the body. One side had the fixing in place but just been bodged in as the hole does not line up and the other side, somebody has tried to make the holes line up by putting in a drill & wiggling it about, thus bu**ering up the hole in both the body and eyebrow.

Paint on the 09 is nowhere near as good as on the 07 (or 96) There is rust on the welds of the steel capping between body tub and aluminium side panels and a small but deep dig on the bonnet which is rusty. There are paint blemishes and rough bits here and there.

The strap for the seat retainer is not affixed to the metal legs of the rear seat, again so much for PDI.

There are rusty bits on the chasis here and there, but this seems standard for every LR. I did find a hint of underseal in the bottom of one of the door drain holes though.

I guess LR f*** up each vehicle slightly differently. It is just sloppyness, a don't care attitude in the factory and poor quality control.

I would suggest you go over every inch of the LR before signing the paperwork. It is easy to miss things when looking though rose-tinted speks at our new toy.

I'm going to get the LR undersealed at Rustmaster in about a month when I'm happy with the vehicle. Most important are the parts we and LR cannot see. All round the doors between the ali & steel frame, door pillars and bulkhead. Also take out the rubber plugs by the wiper arms and have a good squirt in there. Do the rear corner posts (remove the plastic protectors coving the rear of the rear lights). Pay particular attention to the rear cross member as it has mulitible cavities (squirt in every hole). Also the ends of the rear cross member, as they are blind holes with no drainage. Do the inside of the front bumper also. Get al this done with the 'liquid soap' cavity waxoil, not the black stuff. Next of course is the chassis, 'liquid soap' in every bloomin hole you can see. Finally the black stuff over the outside of the chassis, wheel arches etc. I'm not going to get the axles or suspension done his time as it looks horrible and as my beast will not be playing in mud too often, will not be needed. Make sure the various breathers do not get blocked. My dealer was trying to suggest the undersealing of my 07 was causing the problems! (Soon put him straight on that)

Mr Rustmaster (Micheal) is a good chap and is happy to accomodate 'fussy' people like me 'assisting' the undersealing guy. Just take old clothes & shoes cos it is a bit messy.

Blimey, a long winded answere - sorry Smile

Oh, I forgot, don't forget the side bars, there are drain holes on the underside to squirt into.
Post #12094 17th Jun 2009 4:59pm
simond

United Kingdom 
Before you hand over the balance of your money, I'd advise you look at the following;

Stand at the front of the vehicle and take a few paces back;
- are the front wings on straight? They often droop at the sides, if the headlamp plastic embellishers look crooked, then you wings have been misaligned. All Defenders seem to suffer to a degree, but some are worse than others.

- if it is a 110, keep standing at the front and align your gaze down the left and right rainwater gulley. If there is a significant droop passing the rear door you have a misaligned bodyshell..... I have seen this more often on the nearside.

- Look at the gap between the front bumper and the edge of the wings, is it consistent on both sides?

- Are the external bonnet hinge bolts rusted?

Now wander round the rear of the car;

- Look at the rear door, are the fixings corroded, is it aligned?

- Look at the panels supporting the hinge side of the rear door, half way up there is a small trapezoid shape rivetted metal piece -is there rust weeping from underneath? 3 out of 4 2009 Defenders I looked at had rust here.

- Still round the back, look down the sides of the vehicle. On 90s, do the tail edges of the doors sit flush top and bottom with the bodyshell? If not, check the B pillars are straight, some have been bent on the production line and door alignment is impossible. This is a key case for a rejection as the car cannot be viably repaired. I rejected my one in 2008 for this reason, saw another on display inside a main dealer in May 2009.

- If it is a 110, pay particular attention to the fit of the 2nd row side side doors. Many do not fit at all, it is common to find the upper hinged side part of the door totally misaligned into the aperture in the top corner. Saw two 2009 models with the door rubbers squashed out of the side of the door top due to bad misalignment. Usually this is on the nearside, I have found.

- Open the front doors and lift the mats. Feel under the carpet, don't be surprised if it is wet.

- Check for alignment of the rear crossmember to the body.

- Look underneath for rust on the chassis, particularly around suspension mounts etc where it is not uncommon to find unpainted metal.

My then new 2008 90XS was eventually bought in a colour I didn't want because it was in stock in the showroom and seemed to have the straightest panels. It has had rust on the bonnet and door hinge, and the gearbox is due to come out shortly when the revised clutch is back in stock (at 8000 miles), but it is not a bad car.

Land Rover have improved Defender so much mechanically, it is rare to find an oil leak now. But the body assembly has reached an all time low. So give it a good look over before formally accepting it. Simon D
Post #12106 18th Jun 2009 7:07am
RgrBox

United States 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
I guess that the stock that arrives over here are controlled better then what you get straight from the factory in GB. I haven't found anything out of the ordinary YET? I have found so far that the vehicle look correct and nothing seems to be wrong with it. I did go by the dealer with a Oil leak.. not very much but you can see something. My next service in coming up again this year, and he will have this corrected then. I'm not worried due tot eh fact that my dealer is very good, and has a great rep. They have been perfect so far. But do give me th e idea that this is a Landrover, and Landrovers.. are.. well landrovers.. 2008 110 2.4 tdci csw
Landrovers of Switzerland Club member
Post #12109 18th Jun 2009 10:40am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Quote:
I guess that the stock that arrives over here are controlled better then what you get straight from the factory in GB. I haven't found anything out of the ordinary YET?

Are you sure it's a Land Rover? Laughing
Post #12111 18th Jun 2009 10:45am
shorty

South Africa 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Chawton White
I still say: when you buy a defender you are paying for the chassis and all mechanics. The body shell and interior come free of charge!! Laughing Land Rover's don't leak oil, they simply mark their territory!
Post #12115 18th Jun 2009 1:46pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Cheers for all the helpfull coments chaps Smile I am now armed and ready for the big fight tomorow. I will keep you all posted.

Glyn
Post #12119 18th Jun 2009 5:00pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Good Luck Glyn!!!
And we hope to have some pictures soon
Thumbs Up Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #12121 18th Jun 2009 5:14pm
SULLY

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hi

Picking the new car up tomorrow and I was just wondering if anybody had anything else to add over and above what has been posted above.

Cheers
Post #15871 24th Sep 2009 10:14pm
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Yes - try to resist paranoia. Watch out for things but don't start to imagine non existent problems - you'll love your truck. Have a muddy weekend!
Thumbs Up
Post #15872 24th Sep 2009 11:09pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Make sure you have or get your Land Rover spider fitted ASAP Thumbs Up

Glynnparry25, Are you bringing the new one to Wales Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #15875 25th Sep 2009 7:04am
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
willy eckerslike wrote:
Make sure you have or get your Land Rover spider fitted ASAP Thumbs Up

Very good! I seem to have got lucky and now have an internal LRS and an LRS on the driver's wing mirror. I'm spoilt!
Post #15878 25th Sep 2009 8:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1