Home > Off Topic > RIB or Inflatable Boat
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
stevie d

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alpine White
RIB or Inflatable Boat
Hi,

Looking to get a pleasure boat for using locally on the Lee Navigation and up in North Norfolk around Brancaster.

Need to carry up to 6 peeps and dog safely!

I saw a Yam 380s for sale on ebay for starters 3.8m but was inflatable not a rib.

Looking for general purpose/ fishing and a bit of fun.

I'm working on the basis that the first boat won't be right (learning curve) so looking to buy inexpensively and upgrade if necessary.

Can anyone give me a few pointers in the right direction.

Thanks,

Steve Thumbs Up Defender 90 TD5 Station Wagon
Discovery 3 HSE
BMW 330i Coupe
Post #146379 22nd May 2012 10:17am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Join www.rib.net Thumbs Up

We go on this a lot Cool

Post #146380 22nd May 2012 10:26am
TR51

France 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Hi Steve

There are many different hull types, and therefore it not being a RIB shouldn't put you off straight away (my apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs Thumbs Up ), as it depends on what you want to do in your boat.

In the 'inflatable' style, they have a material hull and usually an air bladder that creates a V shape in this material for stability.
The boat is strengthened by either slats across the boat, a high pressure airdeck, or a solid floor, all with advantages and disadvantages...

RIB's
On the other hand, as the name suggests, RIB's have a solid hull (usually fiberglass). This makes them more capable in waves etc, but cant be rolled up like most inflatables. They also usually have a higher max persons than an inflatable of similar size etc...

Have a look here (main points covered):
http://jane-anderson.suite101.com/inflatab...ts-a224803

With 6 people on board 3.8m is realistically the minimum size that you would want, especially with fishing kit / pick-nick etc
(we have a Valiant Dynamic 340 Open which is cosy with 4+kit, although for longer passages a Valiant DR620) Thumbs Up

As GREENI said, there is loads of experience on www.rib.net Bow down

Hope this helped (in some way!)
Post #146391 22nd May 2012 12:29pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
We don't know your budget, if you are going to trail it or moor, if you want speed etc but RIBs are pretty pricey, it may be worth looking at regular fishing boats. 5K will start you off in an old RIB with older engine/trailer. 5K in regular fishing boat or speed boat terms will get you something later and you don't have to worry about the condition/leaks in the tubes Thumbs Up

This is one of the main sites to compare RIBs, fishing and speed boats Thumbs Up

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/
Post #146452 22nd May 2012 5:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stevie d

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alpine White
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

No particular budget in mind just looking at the moment, probably looking up to 5k as first boat and no doubt will won't change after first year or two.

Certainly an option to look at speed boats.

Steve Thumbs Up Defender 90 TD5 Station Wagon
Discovery 3 HSE
BMW 330i Coupe
Post #146464 22nd May 2012 6:33pm
cobs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Have a look at the Bombard Aerotec 380. THis is an inflatable with an air deck floor but in a V hull configuration as opposed to flat. Being light it planes easily with relatively small engines.

Couldn't find the Bombard site offhand but here's a link to a dealer:

http://www.penninemarine.com/section.php?xSec=96

They only make the 380 now but you can buy a 420 version secondhand. The advantage is that the whole thing rolls up and will go in the back of a Defender with the engine. We have a 380 with a 10hp Honda but it will take up to a 25. A 25 however is pretty heavy if you have to start lugging it around. If you think you need a 25 you might be better looking at a proper RIB with trailer.
Post #146482 22nd May 2012 8:02pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
3.8 Mts will be too short for 6 persons and the dog !!!

Don't know the area you intend to use, is there a speed limit, if so a "speed" boat is of little use

Guessing river use ?? Try a Shetland,, to dip your toes in with, reasonable name, so should be able to sell on again, without losing much !!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/shetland-536-fis...4165d8aa96 California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #146521 22nd May 2012 10:23pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
I had a inflatable Zodiac had loads of fun with it but not with 6 persons and a mut have moved on to a 6.5 m rib now which is even more fun Mr. Green
I would go and look round and see what you like the look of Thumbs Up
Post #146531 22nd May 2012 10:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1