Home > My Defender > hi Guys - new boy here
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
griffman

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Auto Keswick Green
hi Guys - new boy here
Hi Fellas

Thought I'd introduce myself - got into landies in the past year or so when, after many years of wasting many moolas on unreliable TVRs of various descriptions I came upon an old Landie 90 soft-top that had a TVR 4.3 V8, , 3-speed auto box, straight through exhausts and an interesting history - so I held my breath and took the plunge.

The car is an early 90 that had been converted in 1998, to something called a TREKKER 90 by an engineering company in Devon called grand western developments. To cut a long story short there was a feature in LRO in 1999 and a history file so deep you could use it as a chair. It has a fantastic bespoke roll-cage and hood system.

However, she looks a lot better than she actually is underneath, and the ravages of time have begun to bite but having fallen totally in love with this old girl I am about to commence the mother of all refurbs.

A new V8 90 Chassis arrived from Richards last week, so a chassis transplant is imminent together with galvanised bulkead and doors, new brake lines, bushes, stainless hinges, bolts, etc and I have purchased a lovely old Discovery Overfinch 570HSI from which I am transplanting the entire running gear, axles, brakes,steering, 4-speed auto etc and the 5.7 (had it dynoed before purchase -rated at 310 bhp and 380 lbs of torque)

I will then buy a rusty Disco of the same age and get and transfer all the running gear from that to the overfinch to sell on as a standard car - excellent chassis and good body/interior if anyone interested!

All in all I have spent 13k so far - 5k on the Overfinch, 6.5k on the landie and other bits and 1500 on the chassis, but I have at least 3k to come back from the disco, the lovely 4.3 V8 I currently have, wheels, gearbox, doors etc. etc etc.

I have about 2k to spend on galvanised body panels and I have budgeted a further 2k for anything else I need, 2k for the paint and 2k as a contingency. So I am planning to spend about 15 -16k on what will be one of the best 90's out there - and a hot rod to boot!!!!!!!

Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated - horror stories also welcome so I can avoid same mistakes

Griffman
Post #145313 16th May 2012 2:01pm
roamingman

Scotland 
Hi and welcome, some task you have set yourself, good luck. Cool

We also have a prodject not as mutch as yours, but working away and doing things slowly.

photos of our prodject below. Smile

http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/ Live Life Ti'l You Die
Teddys are out thier

http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com
http://130sasha.co.uk/
Post #145324 16th May 2012 3:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1