↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Visited the Vulcan Bomber
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Visited the Vulcan Bomber
The other day I was lucky enough to be working in the same hangar that the VulcanXH558 is stored, so took a few photos. Its currently being repainted due to the Jubilee celebrations this year. Im looking forward to seeing it fly at Waddington Airshow later this year. Awsome machine....

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And in the bomb bay..

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #143655 6th May 2012 8:50pm
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Stunning machine Thumbs Up
Post #143656 6th May 2012 8:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Awesome. I saw this when I was working at Silverstone a couple of years ago and took a couple of pics....hope this link works, I'm doing it on my iPhone...
https://picasaweb.google.com/m/photo?uname...vbb7b3MmAE
Post #143663 6th May 2012 9:14pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Wonder if the refurb is 'on tick?'

I spent 32 years in the RAF and was at Marham when these and the Victor Tankers were still operational. Each and every year the funding for this iconic Cold War aircraft is seriously in debt and the begging bowl has to be continually rattled. With creditors such as Marshalls of Cambridge generously writing off £415k of debt a couple of years ago. Also they rely heavily of time donated free by serving aircraft engineers to 'assist.'

It is emotive to me as it truly is an unforgettable sight but people do tire of continual announcements of threats to stop it flying and continuing to donate just to be disappointed when it doesn't appear.

My post to the Bournemouth Echo 2009....

I was fortunate enough to see this aircraft take off from my place of work this week, and what an awe inspiring sight it was! Many people have dug deep to donate to keep this aircraft in the air. Last year due to unserviceabilty it did not reach public expectation, failing to show at several events. Revenue could suffer if this trend continues as people are not prepared to donate to something that does not deliver. Let's hope it can 'step up to the mark' this year.

Bournemouth Echo 2010....

There has indeed been much debate about the Vulcan and the fact that it appears that the fundraisers appear to permanently 'have cap in hand' metaphorically speaking. I do indeed have my own views, nevertheless here are a few choice comments from a Vulcan thread on another website, you can make your own minds up;

It seems that the plea for funding for the Vulcan seems to be becoming an annual event (if not more regular).

They need more money eh? Oh there's a shock, not! Many predicted this the last time they launched an appeal.

Much as I am pleased to see the Vulcan flying, if it cannot become self supporting then I think its days are going to be few.

You only have to look at the Permit to Fly fiasco at Waddington for proof of their lack of competence.

I know the "funds" don't yet exist, but my point was that there are better things in this world to "donate" money to rather than keeping an ancient hunk of junk up in the air.

I’m sure Headley Court and Selly Oak could use that money a lot better than the Vulcan fund could.

At a time when finances are tight for many, I'm afraid this falls way down the list of priorities.

Enough said!

Bournemouth Echo 2010....

As a footnote almost 25% of revenue namely £592,000 goes on 'overheads, administration and management costs' and 'staff costs excluding aircrew!'
How many people actually work full time and what are their salaries? A little more detail woulds be nice! Just an honest query from a historic donator!

Today....

It seems that yet again they are desperate for money....believe they had Lottery Funding donation too..... Whistle If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #143739 7th May 2012 9:50am
WarPig

I guess its the same with most big charities that have company directors on 6 figure salaries, Cancer Research etc.
Post #144085 9th May 2012 11:30am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Here's better pics...

Post #144100 9th May 2012 12:22pm
WarPig

Nice, where were they taken GREENI?

I took a few photos when I watched it fly at Waddington a couple of years ago, amazing to watch. But the best bit is the sound Bow down

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #144222 9th May 2012 8:43pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Stunning photos Thumbs Up
Any chance of getting that last one full-size? My PC desktop at work needs freshening up a bit Whistle

Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #144273 10th May 2012 12:21am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I was working for a TOCA race car team at Silverstone and the Vulcan just 'appeared', I was lucky I had my camera on me at the time....turns out, as you know, it's the only flying Vulcan left... apparently!
Post #144292 10th May 2012 8:34am
Gareth

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Read all about it Cool

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

A couple of years ago, the DISCO3 site had a group visit to another living breathing Vulcan (not flying) and they started up the apu for us, and gave a guided tour, including cockpit. Absolutely brilliant day out.

http://disco3.co.uk/forum/topic50758.html 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #144304 10th May 2012 9:28am
WarPig

ZeDefender wrote:
Stunning photos Thumbs Up
Any chance of getting that last one full-size? My PC desktop at work needs freshening up a bit Whistle

Matt

if your refering to mine then i can pm you a full size version, would you want it cropped to widescreen or not?
Post #144347 10th May 2012 2:00pm
iruffell

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I remember seeing one at an airshow at Greenham Common when I was about 12 in the late 70's, can still remember it doing a vertical climb with full afterburners, awesome.
Post #144351 10th May 2012 2:25pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Not a Vulcan but interesting non the less. Now out in bookform. Excavation was a great success.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/irelan...29271.html 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #144393 10th May 2012 7:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1