Home > Technical > TDCi headlights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
tatra805 wrote:
BPman: I do, the osram night breakers but they are theoretically the same wattage as original.

For the solder solution, dont forget to wire in a relay or you're going to have the same problem in short time.
I looked at the cabling and sizing is not the problem (a bit on the weak side i agree, but for normal bulbs sufficient)

To my opinion the contacts of the switch are the biggest trouble, i have my relay wired and hidden next to the switch itself, no need for new wiring and takes the strain from the switch. No more re-soldering in the future.

Smile

Tatra how do you mean "wire in a relay" does this take the power away from the switch where the contacts melt into the plastic housing. Do you switch it on independently Confused I'm confused but would like to know because it blimmen dangerous when your lights just go and you have to travel a long way home...Think I just drove mine back on full beam and in the dark when traffic came at me Shocked Couldn't stop anywhere for 10 miles along country lanes as I had a trailer on the back Rolling Eyes
Post #121761 6th Feb 2012 12:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Zagato wrote:
tatra805 wrote:
BPman: I do, the osram night breakers but they are theoretically the same wattage as original.

For the solder solution, dont forget to wire in a relay or you're going to have the same problem in short time.
I looked at the cabling and sizing is not the problem (a bit on the weak side i agree, but for normal bulbs sufficient)

To my opinion the contacts of the switch are the biggest trouble, i have my relay wired and hidden next to the switch itself, no need for new wiring and takes the strain from the switch. No more re-soldering in the future.

Smile

Tatra how do you mean "wire in a relay" does this take the power away from the switch where the contacts melt into the plastic housing. Do you switch it on independently Confused I'm confused but would like to know because it blimmen dangerous when your lights just go and you have to travel a long way home...Think I just drove mine back on full beam and in the dark when traffic came at me Shocked Couldn't stop anywhere for 10 miles along country lanes as I had a trailer on the back Rolling Eyes

You use the switch just to power the relay and the relay then switches a 12v feed to the lamps - therefore the relay takes the current and not the switch. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #121766 6th Feb 2012 12:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Ah good Thumbs Up Bring your pliers to Billing John Wink
Post #121771 6th Feb 2012 1:01pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
might also be worth checking the feed to the relay and maybe upping the wire .. where's Daniele when you need him ? (he's probably done this already)
Post #121783 6th Feb 2012 1:20pm
CarlW

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Am planning to get round to fitting a relay myself at some point and my plan was to see if I could pick a feed for the relay up straight off the back of the alternator using a heavyish wire and an inline fuse - that way the lights will get the full 13.8volts when the engine is running. It could have an impact on bulb life but they should be quite a bit brighter. MY11 110 XS Station Wagon in Stornoway
Post #121786 6th Feb 2012 1:32pm
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Zagato, dont have a picture nor do i have a defender at the moment, once its back home i'll take a picture of how i did it.

It was also a "field repair" so i put the relay next to the switch using the OEM cabling.

Bigger cables etc all well and ok but seriously if you notice a big difference it probably will be more related to your earth connection (will be new and better conducting) than to the losses in the feed cable. 1.5mm2 cable is adequate for that distance and power of standard bulbs. (feed is 2.5 as it also powers the parking lights and the full beam)

If there is a problem with drop on the feed line it might be worth checking out if you get full voltage to your fuse box anyway. Old connections lose conductivity so instead of putting in new wires cleaning old contacts might solve the issue.

just my 2cents

Smile
Post #121812 6th Feb 2012 3:24pm
tatra805

delete, double post
Post #121813 6th Feb 2012 3:25pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up
Post #121823 6th Feb 2012 5:01pm
AP90

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Hi Gents

I am about to pick up a 2010 90 Puma

Are the headlights still wired straight through the stalk switch or have they discovered relays at Land Rover by 2010.

I am slightly concerned about this and if there are no relays present, it'll be one of my first jobs

Many thanks

Ash
Post #144003 8th May 2012 8:31pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
AP90 wrote:
Hi Gents

I am about to pick up a 2010 90 Puma

Are the headlights still wired straight through the stalk switch or have they discovered relays at Land Rover by 2010.

I am slightly concerned about this and if there are no relays present, it'll be one of my first jobs

Many thanks

Ash

I believe they are. that is why i spent £18 on a spare Lucas switch, especially as i will be doing a load of miles around France soon. I can then repair the dead one and then keep it as a spare. Mind you i am under warranty until next Jan but better safe than sorry. BM52
Post #144017 8th May 2012 9:25pm
tatra805

Not trying to be the hardhead here BM52 but a switch will burn out after somewhere 4-6hours of continues burning. (not total sum of hours it was switched on) Even a new one.

I would even say the plastic starts getting weak after 3 hours and the contact slowly sinks in, so 2x 3 hours of driving and you CAN have the switch go mad.

just put in a relay and save the trouble and nuisance.
We had it in winter during the evening peak (so in darkness) on the A3 in Frankfurt, in the rain..... not the best of places to start replacing a switch.
Imagine your family in the back of the car; wont give a lot of confidence explaining them you're still under warranty so not to worry about the trucks raging by every 4.5 seconds shaking your car. Whistle

AP90; still the same over switch / no relay for the 2010 as far as i know (even the 2.2 is still the same)

Smile
Post #144035 8th May 2012 10:31pm
AP90

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
Thank you guys

I shall be purchasing a couple of relays.

Can't believe they put that kind of amperage through those silly leaf switches

Ah well
Post #144041 8th May 2012 11:17pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
That switch is part of the reason I suggest people wire roof lights completely separate from main beam switch.

Yes that is illegal for road use but does give you a completely independent light circuit, so a good safety backup system.

Brendan
Post #144043 8th May 2012 11:34pm
jerseyman

Post #144045 8th May 2012 11:43pm
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
leeds wrote:
That switch is part of the reason I suggest people wire roof lights completely separate from main beam switch.

Yes that is illegal for road use but does give you a completely independent light circuit, so a good safety backup system.

Brendan

When I installed my roof lights (with relay circuit) I had two switches put in the circuit switch 1 - 0 = switch two/1 = always on and switch 2 0= off/1 = as beam/dip. This gives you the ability to have the roof lights light up on beam/flash in normal road conditions but also allows for flood lighting (camp site/fields etc) when the main headlight are off. or completely off altogether

As relayed the switch losses/serial control are negligible. Switches occupy two blank slots on the dash - can set and forget for the most part (used illuminated/latching rear heater switches
Post #144209 9th May 2012 8:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12