↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Double cab rear seats..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
sib

Double cab rear seats..
I`m thinking of a new 130 double cab and looked at one today.
It seems to me like the second row seats has very little legroom in a double cab, but what seems crazy is the amount of space behind these seats. When the headreasts are fully extended they touch the rear roof lining suggesting that the seats are perfectly positioned but if they could be lowered or altered to tilt furhter forward the seats should be able to be positioned further back by at least 2 inches which would make a fair bit of legroom difference. The metal brackets that hold the seat in place could be easily be modified or made to fit if the seats went further back.
Has anyone tried this ?

Also can the tilt mechanism be put back in (as it seems to have been taken out on the double cab) to allow the seats to be tilted forward to access the huge space behind where the jack roll should be positioned ?
Again, has anyone tried this ?

sib Sib
Bath UK
1952 80 inch
1973 88 inch
2018 Morgan plus 4 narrow body
Post #1364 13th Feb 2008 6:06pm
Doublecabdefender

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Orkney Grey
Rear Seats
Sorry Sib, I promised to take some photos of the seats for you and up to now have been frantic with work. Many apologies.
The tilt mech does work on my DC, when you have undone the bolts, but as I mentioned before its a little unstable. There is a large amount of space behind the seats, I agree, they haven't got this quite right!

However the head rests do come out once you have unbolted the rig, then I suppose if you modified the bracket holding the seats you could in effect move the seats backwards a little.

Mind you I think the seats would be a little too vertical to be usable after moving them, I could be wrong, but in mine they are only just sort of comfy now - in the existing position..... Confused

Si
Post #1365 13th Feb 2008 6:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alex e

England 2006 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Zambezi Silver
i was shocked by the difference in the new double cabs, i have a TD5 one and the rear seats are lower and are located further back, i think they should have kept the old rear seats in the double cab as they are not as comfortable as the originals. don't get me wrong in a station wagon 110 they are 110 times better, it's just squeezing them into the double cab doesn't work. IMO.

even mine are set forward enough to get four 6 x 9's and a MDF box behind them. (it's an enhancement so that i get rid of the engine & road noise from the cab) Whistle
Post #1366 13th Feb 2008 6:45pm
sib

Fair point double cab..

Interesting that the tilt mech works when you have unbolted the seat backs from their retaining brackets, it felt
like there was no mech in the one I saw today, or maybe the mech / lever is just light to use..

Once the back is tilted, can you acess the space behind well enough to store jack roll there?

I was also a little dissappointed to see lack of trim to the side of the rear passenger `s heads, just a flap of material that looks very easy to come off, when you consider the better trim on the station wagon..

sib Sib
Bath UK
1952 80 inch
1973 88 inch
2018 Morgan plus 4 narrow body
Post #1368 13th Feb 2008 6:55pm
Doublecabdefender

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Orkney Grey
Hi, yes I would say there is plenty of space for the jack roll there, not certain what you mean about the trim level though. I have just checked mine and cannot find anything amiss....

Can you explain, I am probably looking in the wrong place Sad
Post #1396 15th Feb 2008 5:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1