↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Long descents in low box at high altitude
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mudrut

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Long descents in low box at high altitude
I know - I could have described this better, but I have just remembered something that I haven't found a decent explanation for.

Scenario is:

Long descent (several miles)
Low Box, second gear
no throttle
Altitude starting at around 2000 metres or above
Temperature between 0 and 10 degrees Celsius

After a while, people in trucks behind will notice quite a strong, hard to define chemical smell. My theory is that is is unburnt fuel being heated in the exhaust system- perhaps the engine map isn't able to cope with low air density versus low(ish) temperature and no engine load and dumps a moderate amount into the engine. Of course, that could be total Censored and I am happy to be told that!

This is easily repeatable and hasn't just happened to my car. I am back in the Pyrenees next week and thought if anyone has a bright idea or test, I could give it a go when I am there.

I meant to ask Pete Bell when I was talking to him recently about another thing that I have seen happen to UK vehicles in very cold (below minus 35) temperatures. The turbo (can) just shut down with no error code. At the time, he said it could be attributable to the environmental parameters being exceeded.

regards

Ian
Post #139075 13th Apr 2012 9:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
TB box getting too hot?

If the engine is shut down...ie no fuel for a 2 mile period maybe the bore overheated a little?
Post #139088 13th Apr 2012 10:39pm
mudrut

Interesting.....

On the transfer box idea, though, last time out in a convoy of TD5s and TDCis, the TD5s didn't suffer the same effect with their transfer boxes.

regards

Ian
Post #139089 13th Apr 2012 10:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
As you said Ian, interesting,

Well as we all know e td5 is a very different beast form the tdci. Can the passengers be a little more descriptive? Diesel has a very distinctive smell, it isn't impossible for them to smell what is a concoction of unburnt diesel, oil from the engine, gearboxes or the bell housing and mix that with whatever the gearboxes are covered in (mud, waxoil).

Tig

As for the bore over heating, the engine block coolant is there to prevent this and it would still be picking the oil up from the sump and lubricating the bore to reduce even more heat. So I don't think that's the issue.

Hth Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #139093 13th Apr 2012 10:57pm
mudrut

Russ

I know what you mean - but the smell just wasn't obvious. I wonder if it was some kind of interaction with the cat. (When we changed convoy positions I could smell it myself.)

The engine temperature indicated nominal at all times.

When I am there next week, I will put my nose in the exhaust pipe so I can confirm that it comes from inside the engine rather than an external surface. Laughing

regards

Ian
Post #139096 13th Apr 2012 11:14pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
It is water condensation especially on cold weather. The use of a muff or any device to restrict cold air into the radiator improves the situation. They are very common in trucks and buses working at high altitude. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #139107 14th Apr 2012 2:11am
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
I wouldn't think it'd be engine heat - in that kind of situation your engine will be swallowing a full charge of air every stroke, but putting (next to) no fuel in. That should pull the engine temperature down pretty quickly. In fact modern diesels don't really get warm when idling, cos they're too goddamn thermally efficient
Post #139166 14th Apr 2012 11:18am
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
MK wrote:
It is water condensation especially on cold weather. The use of a muff or any device to restrict cold air into the radiator improves the situation. They are very common in trucks and buses working at high altitude.

If as Ian said it appears to be only TDCi then if this were the cause then wouldn't you get it on all diesels? Perhaps the TD5s all had muffs on?
Post #139190 14th Apr 2012 2:27pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
How steep was the hill? Was there sheer drops? Could it be passenger related? Rolling with laughter

Seriously - its got to be fuel or egr related - there will be no stress on the engine for the descent and therefore the egr will be fully open - maybe the egr is getting too hot?
Post #139317 15th Apr 2012 7:38am
mudrut

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to see what else I can find out in the next cuppla weeks. I am wondering if a small amount of unburnt fuel is being passed through to the exhaust - perhaps evaporating in there. The smell is 'chemical', but not obviously diesel. What would unburnt diesel evaporating on the cat smell like? Just an idea......

I don't think a rad-muff would make a difference, but I have one somewhere. If I can find it, I will try it. Thing is, at that very low speed and moderate outside temperature, I can't imagine there is a substantial cooling effect anyway. Also, the engine temperature remains nominal.

I recall a time when there were two TDCis, a 200TDi, an L200 and a Hilux in the convoy and only the TDCis exhibited this effect. I have also driven the area in both my TD5s - and again, no similar effect.

regards

Ian
Post #139324 15th Apr 2012 9:37am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
another thought ... could it be waxoyl/dinitrol burning off the exhaust or nearby components ?

Have a great trip Ian ... look forward to seeing the photos
Post #139333 15th Apr 2012 10:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1