↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > have you noticed ...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Many people didn't use them before the law came in, some still argue they are more dangerous, thank god for air bags I say.

Putting one on is still not automatic for me as I started driving tractors and cars on a farm when I was 14 so you just hopped in and drove. I then had an old SAAB which had uncomfortable static belts so didn't use them most of the time, then came jobs where you were in and out all the time - security warden with a van and delivery driver and I still don't like them and have to remind myself to put it on - my daughter usually does that if I forget Whistle

As Ken says I think milkmen, delivery drivers etc used to be exmept or still are Confused
Post #138657 12th Apr 2012 9:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ken

United Kingdom 
Re Volvos pretty sure you turn them off the same way as LR products (for towing going backwards)

And has a few have said put a spike on the steering wheel hub it would sort a few out Whistle
Post #138660 12th Apr 2012 9:46am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Saved my life, had a head on with another SAAB 96 (what are the chances of that Shocked ) on the Devils Elbow outside of Honiton. We were both doing about 30MPH, felt very sorry for the other car he had just had it resprayed for £900 and my insurance wouldn't pay out, couldn't get them to either. They guys wife was breastfeeding her baby in the front seat at the time - no harm to anyone - thank god we were in SAAB's. Whistle Both cars were toast...
Post #138662 12th Apr 2012 9:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Ive never worn one and rufuse to Thumbs Up
Post #138663 12th Apr 2012 10:01am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Didn't need to wear seatbelts when I started driving so I rarely did but I complied when it became compulsory and nowadays I'm so conditioned that I find myself automatically reaching for them even in vehicles with none fitted. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #138667 12th Apr 2012 10:10am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Miserableolgit wrote:
Didn't need to wear seatbelts when I started driving so I rarely did but I complied when it became compulsory and nowadays I'm so conditioned that I find myself automatically reaching for them even in vehicles with none fitted.

me too ... was quite odd when I had the Series 2's with no belts.. luckily nothing like this happened ...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #138689 12th Apr 2012 12:03pm
xatzhs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Scary stuff bpman...

I've always worn my seatbelt, find it incredibly strange not wearing one. Definitely a habit I'm glad I've got.
Post #138698 12th Apr 2012 12:41pm
lukev01

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Some people won't be convinced.

Having grown up in an era when seatbelts were only provided for front seat passengers, it never seemed to bother my parents that we were in the back without seatbelts....nor us at the time.

But, as soon as I could, I always wore one. It definitely saved the lives of all 4 of us 5 years ago. We were stationary while waiting for a vehicle ahead of us to turn right, across the road. Before we could move off afterwards, a Defender towing 3+ tons of sand and other assorted equipment went into the back of us still doing 30 mph.

After being shunted 50 yards down the road, it was a miracle that we all walked away. Very glad to have been in the Trajet at the time. Physio for a while and a stiff back for life are a very small price when I consider the alternative.[/img] 1970 Series 2A 88"
Post #138813 12th Apr 2012 8:45pm
Rozzer

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
It's always a good reason to stop a car and have a word. I've lost count of the people I've gone on to deal with for other matters. It's something I pass on to my troops.
I always wear a belt, even fitted them to my series Landy. I've seen a few nasty head wounds that could have been prevented by wearing one.
Mind you, you only hurt yourself if you are dim enough to leave it off.
Mobile phones though Evil or Very Mad , you should be prosecuted for dangerous driving if you use one whilst at the wheel. You may as well close your eyes and drive through red lights. It's just as stupid.
Post #138853 12th Apr 2012 10:29pm
ken

United Kingdom 
But of course using a Two Way is totally different Wink

Red Mist springs to mind Laughing

Rolled a Cavalier in the Eighties doing Evasive J Turn training had I had a belt on I would have been hurt way more
Jumping out of A Scammell had I had a belt on those seconds would have seen a different result
Two sides you see
As I was told a long time ago Speed don’t kill it the static object that does but a 9mm is cleaner and faster
Post #138888 13th Apr 2012 6:17am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Rozzer wrote:
It's always a good reason to stop a car and have a word. I've lost count of the people I've gone on to deal with for other matters.

makes me laugh how people hold their phones infront (instead of on the ear) with the speaker on - like that makes any difference, they are STILL using the phone whilst driving. Personally I think we should encourage other motorists to beep at drivers on the phone .. at least the person on the other end of the phone will get the idea..
Post #138893 13th Apr 2012 7:42am
ken

United Kingdom 
Using a Phone, Smoking having a Coffee , eating an Apple inputting a Sat Nav talking to pasengers Kids are all distractions

Where does it end
Post #138901 13th Apr 2012 8:02am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
ken wrote:
Kids are all distractions

Where does it end

I worked as a dispatch rider whilst at College in the 1980's. I was knocked off my bike by a woman doing the school run. Kids leaping about in the car (probably before seat belts were compulsory) - she was so distracted she barely realised she had hit me! Grrr Evil or Very Mad Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #138912 13th Apr 2012 8:47am
ken

United Kingdom 
Thought kids walked to school in the 80's Rolling with laughter
Post #138915 13th Apr 2012 8:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12