Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Carrowkeel for Easter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Carrowkeel for Easter

Click image to enlarge

First Easter hols where I haven't been working for 5 years so off we went to this lovely little caravan site near Castlebar, Co Mayo - thats us on the right of the photo. Carrowkeel is a small (30 pitches) site but it has an indoor gamesroom, restaurant/takeaway and a bar! It also has a bar! The facilities are spotless and it was quite full as well so I'm glad we booked in advance. Did I mention it has a bar ?

Quite warm today so we went to Westport and had a lovely lunch in a seafood restaurant at Westport Quay, then on to Old Head ( about half way between Westport and Louisburgh) which is a horseshoe shaped beach. On the way back we stopped off at Westport House and gardens ( if you saw 'who do you think you are' when actor John Hurt was the focus you will have seen it !) which also has a caravan park which was also full !

The only bummer is that I'm back at work on Monday - was supposed to be off til Tuesday but due to an audit I had to lop a day off the weekend Sad
Post #137684 7th Apr 2012 5:47pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Looks quiet, shame it hasn't got a bar, or has it?
Post #137721 7th Apr 2012 8:25pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Looks a nice site Thumbs Up A bar would have been nice though!

Had to cancel our Easter caravan trip due to problems with my Landie Big Cry Enjoy your holiday Thumbs Up
Post #137722 7th Apr 2012 8:32pm
rossy

Hmm surprising that no ones asked if there's a bar but there is if yer interested

Dull, grey and cold today so we won't be doing much. I don't normally bother with newspapers but when we're in the caravan you can't beat a big fat Sunday edition broadsheet to dip into here and there during the day
Post #137816 8th Apr 2012 11:11am
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
I dont have a radio in my landie so listening to the caravans radio is something of a novelty to me. Cant beat a relaxing day in the caravan with a newspaper, radio on, and a bit of internet browsing whilst the missus makes brews of tea Thumbs Up

And dont forget the caravans tv if you have one, ideal for being anti social and avoiding your fellow campers. I bet years ago caravanners had to resort to talking to each other Shocked
Post #137834 8th Apr 2012 12:38pm
rossy

yep the radio in the caravan, albeit a fairly basic Radiomobile radio/cd/mp3 affair sounds like a top end HiFi compared to the crappy one in the Defender !

Ironically although we are in the West of Ireland the only channels we can pick up on TV at this site are BBC1, BBC2 and ITV. We have all the SKY channels at home but I wouldn't be bothered with satelite in the caravan as anyone I see with a dish in a caravan seems to spend all their time fiddling with it

As regards the social aspect of caravanning, whilst there are many letters from members in the CC magazine moaning that people don't go from caravan to caravan chatting and networking any more (like in the good old days) my day job involves constant communication with all sorts of folk so when I'm on hols I just want a bit of peace and quiet ! Mind you since we got the Defender that's difficult as everyone wants a look and a chat !
Post #137873 8th Apr 2012 4:14pm
pom

so you've dragged that miserable contraption to a field holding up real traffic on the way, you have to poo in a bucket and then empty it. When does the fun start ??????

Pom
Post #137874 8th Apr 2012 4:18pm
rossy

don't knock it till you've tried it luv ! Laughing
Post #137876 8th Apr 2012 4:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1