↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 16 months of not so happy land rover owning...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nebotigger

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
16 months of not so happy land rover owning...
Is this post a rant? Well I hope it isn’t, it is a factual list of the problems that I have encountered with my 110 xs that I have owned from new….

Picked up from my local dealership – Conwy Land Rover in not so sunny North Wales. Rejected vehicle due to scratches and rust on rear x-member, painted swarf on the A-post and windscreen, finger sized gap in the rear door and split panels on bottom of rear door! Not a great day having just spent £26k. 2 weeks later I picked it up!! I was then happy…..but

Engine warning light came on, engine no power ‘safe mode’…..roadside man came and reset light…… off I went….time passed, light came on again…..repeat. 4th occasion man took Landy to dealership…… water getting into fuel tank….6 weeks of waiting for parts on back order (WTF), new fuel tank breather pipe fitted, injectors and pump, not to mention no money in the bank as my courtesy car was a range rover, petrol!

Then the snow came…… great landy weather! Power steering pipe split…dumped oil over the road….wife stranded…no mobile signal….. she not happy…I get it in the neck! Man on recovery truck delivers it to delearship – we get a nice Ford Fiesta (WTF)……New pipe fitted…..more snow….. power steering pipe fell off…… wife stranded again….no mobile phone signal……….repeat!

Difficulty was then encountered engaging gears…. Intermittent problem….roadside man came…. And left…… said all ok….vehicle then stranded as could not get 1,2,3 gear…… dealership again….. dual mass clutch plate springs disintegrated! 19000 miles on the clock and no towing….not good landrover! Also had to wait for an oil seal as transfer box leaking into drum brake….drum brake not holding…….new oil seal and tran box shoes too……

Vehicle stopped working, wife stranded again, this time with factory fitted immobilizer blaring out….. she had phone signal…..I recovered her back to home with the series 3…… dealership had not tightened battery terminal properly….. an easy fix!! Hoorah.

Sunny weather arrived…. Lowered the windows….clunk as the glass dropped out of drivers door….. and it started to rain…… man in van came ‘out of courtesy’ to fix problem….. had a wet bum for a day or two…..

Indicator was not working said the nice traffic police officer…… bulb looked fine….. electrical contacts however resembled something off the titanic…heavily corroded….. Back to dealership…… who highlighted my brake oil was also low…… but could not find any leaks…… I wonder if this will be my next problem??

As I said not a rant….just the facts. Im fed up! I have had more problem with my brand new 110, than I have with my two series 3 land rovers put together over 6 years of owning them.

Contacted Land Rover…. Flatly Not interested…said the contract of sale or something like that was with the dealership….. Dealership just laughed and to add insult to injury, the service man or whatever his job title is (Hi Phil if you read this) if they part-ex’d for a new one (of base spec not XS spec) then all my inconvenience of ownership would cost me £10k for the privilege…… which is nice!?!?!?

So there we go. 15 months of anything less than satisfactory ownership. Appalling after sales support from Land Rover, who just fobbed me off with a load of rubbish about contract of sale…but they gave me a reference number #108681921 what good this would do when they do nothing about it and refer me to the dealer…..

……and so the wheels keep on going round in circles….well except mine that is!

Happy landrovering

Simon

SIII 109 Functional
SIII 88 V8 Beast
110 XS Nail. Tigger
Post #13656 31st Jul 2009 1:20pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Hi Simon, sorry to hear your tale of woes,we had lost some brake fluid reason a leaking caliper seal. 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #13657 31st Jul 2009 1:44pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
That sucks.

There have been one or two people on the board who have had serious problems and others who haven't had any. Mind you, there are similar tales with Td5 owners as well.

Sounds like you've mostly had issues with your dealership. they don't sound like a helpful lot at all.

I'm quite lucky that mine have been very good so far and the few issues I have had already have been solved with very little fuss.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. There's a chance that after the 3 yrs of warranty you'll have a really sorted truck but you'll have probably lost the will to live by then. Maybe try a different dealer for a trade-in. They're holding their value pretty well at the moment. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #13659 31st Jul 2009 2:18pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Simon,

Sorry to hear that but for your consolation I suffered most of the problem that you mentioned in my 19 months with the Defender: Clutch, Transfer leaking, falling window, vacuum pump, faulty electric connections to water leaking, faulty welding, to do not mention others. Is really sad when you spend so much money in a car that should be designed to do not fail under any condition and you get that. Really we dont deserve it.

I love my Puma, but unfortunately we are paying the overhauling of the new Defender with our time and money, serving as a lab mices for Land Rover to take out all the design glitches that the new design have.

But at least for me, the good thing has been that after had all this faults my landie is now quiet and after 60.000 km finally I didnt needed to visit the dealer between the services. I beleive that the worst part are finished and from now the things will look better.

Regarding your dealer, well, nothing to said he must be on your side but not allways happens.

It is difficult to ask for patience. When I was in the same position of you, with a list of more than 30 faults they offered a replacement but finally I decide to keep this one. I know him and I'm sure that almost all the possible faults has been corrected.

Keep the manual and check the LR bulletins to be ahead of possible future faults. For sure the vacuum pump will be the next.

Cheers Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #13660 31st Jul 2009 2:26pm
Daniel TD5

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 90 Other ST Nato Green
that would be part number LRO110XS comes as standard with most of them but not all. if you are one of the lucky ones that LRO110XS as not be fitted you will be very happy

part number LRO110XS is free its fitted to most 110 or LRO90XS for the 90 it cover the following options

Faulty Clutch
Faulty Gearbox
Faulty paint
Faulty wiring
Faulty water seals
Faulty ERG
Faulty VAC PUMP

this option is not limted to the above and could have been expanded by year model

i Have LRO110XSDC fitted to my one its a 07 and its been so bad. at present i carry a baking tray around to collect the dripping oil and the o rings it needs are on back order thats been five weeks now Rolling with laughter

best regards

Daniel l
Post #13661 31st Jul 2009 2:32pm
mrwoo

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
When I hear this it really confuses me, I have one of the first Puma's off the production line (May 07) and I have had little go wrong in the last 39k miles. I think they probably put a bit more effort in the quality checks on the new model when it first came out.

Faults -
1.Grease nipple fell out of drive shaft (no big deal)
2. Cracked turbo heat shield (no big deal)

Personally I think it's brilliant and would recommend one to any Landie enthusiast or otherwise, I'm sorry to hear of all your woes and I hope that in the end all will come good.
Post #13689 1st Aug 2009 7:02pm
NoDo$h

England 
Same-same Mr Woo. Early 07 and faultless. Am I tempting fate by considering chopping the D3 for a 110? 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #13692 1st Aug 2009 8:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1