↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Door Hinge Bolt Help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
taffyscouser

United Kingdom 
Door Hinge Bolt Help
Removed the top bulkhead bolt on drivers side upper door hinge to apply waxoil into cavity and the bloody inner nut just fell off and I could hear it tinkle down to the bottom of the vertical channel. So the top door hinge has only one bolt now holding it in place on the bulkhead Big Cry
Is there any way to access this area and replace the inner nut?
Post #133959 24th Mar 2012 3:34pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Not really, just replace with a new captive nut and remember to copperslip the threads - while you are at it buy some extras for spares! Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #133964 24th Mar 2012 4:05pm
taffyscouser

United Kingdom 
Maybe having a dull moment here but how do you get in there to replace the captive nut?
Post #133965 24th Mar 2012 4:14pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
No dull moment at all. Having replaced my door hinges recently I have just what you're after.....
You need a new 'captive nut clip' available from your dealer, remove the remaining bolt and swing the hinge away, prise off the clip without the nut and replace.....Job jobbed....Excuse picture quality, Cr4pberry..... Laughing

Door hinges held captive by these....

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #133968 24th Mar 2012 4:26pm
taffyscouser

United Kingdom 
Thank god for that. I had all sorts of nightmare scenarios going through my mind. I take it by removing the other bolt and swinging the hinge away access is easy. Thank you for all the help here folks.
Post #133974 24th Mar 2012 4:46pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
See here for a useful guide which shows you what is going on behind the hinges - albeit a rather outdated and rusty example! When I replaced my bolts for stainless one of the captive nuts in the top hinge decided to become non-captive Mad , it's on the list of things to resolve at some point. If you ease the leading edge of the door card away from the door, you can get at the nuts to be able to fold the hinge back and get into the A pillar (you might have to take the door handle escutcheon off, and also the pull handle). 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #133995 24th Mar 2012 6:34pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Soak the bloody lot front and back in ACF-50 and Dinitrol, job done Thumbs Up
Post #134023 24th Mar 2012 7:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
taffyscouser

United Kingdom 
Just before I remove any more bolts, a quick check. I take it I can remove the remaining lower bolt on the top hinge, bulkhead side and swing it back out of the way to access the J nut. Puma 2.2 2012 and rightly scared of causing any further probs if I remove the last bolt on the top hinge. Is theer a need to remove the whole hinge or can I just remove the two bulkhead side bolts and swing it out of the way to get at the captive nuts ( J nuts) and their holding clips. Just ordered a set of 10 for £7 off e bay.
Post #134381 25th Mar 2012 10:17pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Just tremove the remaining bulkhead bolt. Ensure the door is fully closed so that it is supported. Whan I replaced mine I used stainless captive nuts, and tied a piece of string to it incase it fell inside the cavity. Then cut the string off when done Thumbs Up

Infact I found the rectangular hole in the bulkhead wasnt large enough to fit the second nut, so I had to slide the bottom nut all the way down as far as it would go, fit the upper nut, then readjust them both so the holes aligned. Ensure you buy the correct captive nut, as the older versions have imperial thread rather than metric. Ask me how I know!! Embarassed
Post #134401 25th Mar 2012 11:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1