Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Vague Steering & Brakes
Hi all

I've got a big problem with my 90 which has been an issue for some time but it's annoying me enough now that I have to do something about it.

Basically, the steering is horrendously vague and "wandery". There's a huge amount of neutral steering angle before the direction changes (probably 45 degrees) Shocked Shocked

It's a 1988 90, with a transplanted Td5 engine, and has recently had a new (recon) steering box. It had new polybushes, springs and Bilstein dampers all round when rebuilt in 2000, although the rear A-frame bush wasn't touched, and so could be ancient. It also had a new steering damper (cheap Paddock Spares one) in 2004(ish).

I would love to get it driving as well as a more modern 90, I'm willing to put up with a little bit of play, but not how it is at the minute Big Cry

The other issue is the brakes, which don't feel up to the job really - are there decent upgrades pads/discs I can go for, and upgraded shoes on the rear (drum brakes currently)? Or should I look to change to disc braked axles all round?
Post #1301 6th Feb 2008 9:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Hiya Martin! Congratulations on this site and D3 btw! As soon as my winch and what have you has sold youll have a donation coming your way! Whistle

Right, you say the steering box is a recon job? can you feel any play in the box? if you look from underneath at the drop arm whilst an assistant wiggles the steering wheel you'll see if there is any slack or free movement in the box which is easily adjusted out. Would also check the drop arm balljoint and your swivel joint preload on the hub stub axles. Though incorrect preload on the swivels normally will give symptoms like a really bad steering shake at 50-70Mph ish.

Brakes on your model are easily upgraded. Bearmach do a superb kit for the front inc drilled/grooved discs and stickier pads Thumbs Up I presume your rears are drums? Not a hell of a lot you can do to improve them, would keep my beady eyes out for a good 300tdi rear axle with the discs!

Hope this is some help!

Stu
Post #1302 6th Feb 2008 10:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1