↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Are tune detectable?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
spudfan wrote:
When mine was test driven by a maindealer during a service, I was told it was the quietest,smoothest zippiest one they had ever driven. Even admired how good it was for overtaking. No remaps just good old 2 stroke.
Not saying that 2 stroke can compare with a remap just that a decent mechanic does notice things (but I admit that they are few and far between at maindealers!).

gosh Spudfan thats such a comforting thought (not) - the dealers having such a blast in your lovingly cared for Defender - to the extent that they are doing lots of 'overtaking'. (I'd rather not know they were 'overtaking' on the roads around Enniskillen. If they told me that I'd be livid !
Post #128042 1st Mar 2012 7:08pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
As an IDS/SDD user, I don't think that any dealership would even notice. SDD is now very different from any other diagnostic system, and even the original IDS Legacy from 12 months ago is now very different to the present SDD. I don't think anyone in the workshop would even notice, except by checking the present software version.

In the software download page, SDD decides itself if a download is necessary, and if so, which version is present and which one will be written to the PCM. You don't have a choice, SDD decides for you.

The only thing I can think of is that under a warranty situation, the session files can be sent to Gaydon to be analysed, and perhaps there is something here which could show a clue as to past non-JLR software files..
Post #128058 1st Mar 2012 8:12pm
Lorryman100

Deleted. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Lorryman100 on 1st Mar 2012 10:09pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #128091 1st Mar 2012 9:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
All I am saying is, there are 'clues' left behind, After programming a map file onto the PCM. Nothing difinitive, but clues to that a map file may have been loaded prior to a dealer visit.

Sure, after x many ignition cycles, the IPAC may well clear itself, and I accept that these faults can occur as a result of a low/flat battery, as I have seen this before even on my RRS.

I have left my test vehicle in a just programmed state, so I can test how many ignition cycles it takes to clear.

Regards,

Gary.
Post #128092 1st Mar 2012 9:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lorryman100

Gary thanks for taking the time to do this as it is appreciated. At the end of the day something on Boy's defender led the dealers to beleive it had been remapped at some point in the past, and any information on finding out what that was helps everyone, me included. Thumbs Up
Post #128096 1st Mar 2012 10:02pm
Lorryman100

I have removed my above post as I think an open forum is probably not the best place to discuss this topic. Whistle
Post #128101 1st Mar 2012 10:09pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Today I sent Alientech the needed command strings needed to clear all vehicle faults after a programming session is done. Maybe they will add it to all the latest software versions when they have time for all landrovers for all people to use at some point, this will save any need for any other tool to be used if poeple are that worried.

Pete
Post #128112 1st Mar 2012 10:52pm
zeerover

Belgium 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
I am meccanic at bmw. After a read out we get a pup up when the engine is tuned also when it's removed. More than 10% of the BMW cars is tuned. Warranty of the drivetrain will be refused. So i am sure its dedectable.
Post #128128 1st Mar 2012 11:48pm
Lorryman100

bell-auto-services wrote:
Today I sent Alientech the needed command strings needed to clear all vehicle faults after a programming session is done. Maybe they will add it to all the latest software versions when they have time for all landrovers for all people to use at some point, this will save any need for any other tool to be used if poeple are that worried.

Pete

Pete,

To clarify, is this just to include the IC/IPAC fault list? or all the modules?

Brian.
Post #128214 2nd Mar 2012 1:37pm
bell-auto-services

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
full car/clear all or an all can module instruction however you want to interprate it, hopefully as an extra option in the list.
Post #128246 2nd Mar 2012 5:36pm
Lorryman100

I think I understand what you have asked Alientech to do. Is it to add the instructions/ability to clear all fault codes in the PCM /IPAC CAN modules once the reprogramming is complete? Will this then mean that the remap interface will have the ability to clear all modules of faults as standard compared to it being as it is now just a generic code reader? It would be a good addition if Alien tech where to be able to do this, then you would not need a dedicated LR fault code reader as well as the interface. Thumbs Up
Post #128247 2nd Mar 2012 6:00pm
spudfan

Ireland 
rossy wrote:
spudfan wrote:
When mine was test driven by a maindealer during a service, I was told it was the quietest,smoothest zippiest one they had ever driven. Even admired how good it was for overtaking. No remaps just good old 2 stroke.
Not saying that 2 stroke can compare with a remap just that a decent mechanic does notice things (but I admit that they are few and far between at maindealers!).

gosh Spudfan thats such a comforting thought (not) - the dealers having such a blast in your lovingly cared for Defender - to the extent that they are doing lots of 'overtaking'. (I'd rather not know they were 'overtaking' on the roads around Enniskillen. If they told me that I'd be livid !

Rossy, it did'nt bother me one bit. How many times have you read here about people getting warranty work done only for them to find the same fault to crop up driving home after collecting the vehicle or for it to come back a few days later.
Mine was in for a clutch change under warranty. The service manager took it home for the night after the clutch was changed to make sure all was o.k. As he lives in Sligo it was a good test! Great service as usual.
How did you get on with your leaks? 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #128786 5th Mar 2012 12:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123