↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyres - how old is old?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alfajock

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Bonatti Grey
Tyres - how old is old?
As I do 30k a year in my company car, I get through tyres fairly quickly. On my Land Rover though, I've got a get of BFG MTs that are barely worn in after only 20k in five years. Thinking of fitting a set of alloys this year and am planning to use my existing tyres. Apart from marketing pseudo-science, is there any age related reason why I should change them too?

Cheers Fully Restored 89 110 CSW V8

CLS 350 CDI for the sensible stuff
Post #123234 11th Feb 2012 3:47pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
In Germany,for what it's worth, the TÜV (official regulators) recommend that car Summer tyres should not be older that 5 years and Winter tyres no more than 4 years (they age worse). They often fail tyres more than 6-7 years old if they begin to show even mild ageing. I have 5 year old Winter tyres and they are bloody loud (new ones next year).

However, the TÜV are more lenient on commercial vehicles (probably due to thickness and lower speeds. They say no more than 10 years unless they have been used continually (i.e. not swapped for Winters etc.)

As the TÜV are very strict and Defender tyres are pretty solid and used at lower speeds, if there isn't a law in the UK I would say you're good for at least ten years - obviously depends on how the rubber looks.

p.s. oops Embarassed Embarassed misread the question. Main problems are damage (especially sidewall) and oxidation/cracking of the rubber (incredibly different rubber qualities, even within a brand).

Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #123253 11th Feb 2012 4:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I think that age and tyre's only really comes in when they're laid up for long periods of time exposed to the elements.
Post #123254 11th Feb 2012 4:56pm
ZeDefender

Absolutely - hence the increased life if in continuous use. Also why the spare tyre should be rotated with the others. Just read something about ongoing vulcanisation from new and plasticisers drifting away from the surface of the tread. Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #123259 11th Feb 2012 5:06pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I found this:

Quote:
BF Goodrich recommends that tires that are at least 10 years old be replaced even if they have not worn down.

Read more: How to Determine the Age of BF Goodrich Tires | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5819030_determine-...z1m9ck4DDI

You should be OK for a few years, especially if you store the tyres out of direct sunlight... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #123361 12th Feb 2012 9:23am
shaun.mobile

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Fuji White
i used to drive a vw passat. it had over 100k on the clock and there were a couple of incidents where i spun in damp conditions at quite low speeds.

i couldn't understand why as the tyre had good tread. then i got a puncture in one of the fronts and mentioned the incidents to the tyre fitter.

he looked at the rear tyres, pointed to one of the codes and told me that it represented the year of manufacture and that they were the original tyres and due to age the rubber would have hardened. i queried how this could be possible on a five year old car with 100k on the clock and he said that if you don't carry much weight in the back they last forever (front wheel drive).

i thought he might be spinning me a line however the spinning incidents had unerved me so i allowed him to change them. once they were off the car it was plain to see. the inner tyre walls were all hard and cracked.

the problem disapeared witht he new tyres so i was convinced.
Post #123362 12th Feb 2012 9:25am
leeds

United Kingdom 
There used to be a move to get a law past (or was it tyre industry recommendations?) that tyres should not be sold if they were 5 or 6 years old.

Whereas UV is considered to be the major cause of tyre rubber degradation, other important factors include thermal (heat build up from incorrectly inflated tyres as well as solar) plus salt. OK winter time salt is applied to our roads, but if you live close to the sea that could affect your tyres.

MOT inspectors are now looking at micro cracking on side Walls as well as tread depth etc.

IIRC the BFG site has a load on about tyre degradation.

Just remember those black round things are rather important when it comes to the safety of you and your family.

Brendan
Post #123371 12th Feb 2012 10:01am
RED-DOT

Scotland 
My mates series 3 just passed an MOT with the original cracked tyres... i just couldn't believe how bad two of them were. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #123385 12th Feb 2012 11:29am
scamp

My uncle has just replaced the original issue tyres on his 1997 300TDI 90. 67k miles and only went in for a slow puncture to be fitted. The tyre guy said he could fix it but the tread depth was getting low and as they were showing cracks in the side walls strongly suggested that all tyres be changed. Once off it was discovered that all the tyres showed a manufacturing date of 1989. No adviseries were issued on the old tyres at the last MOT.
Post #123667 13th Feb 2012 4:43pm
alfajock

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 110 V8 Petrol CSW Bonatti Grey
leeds wrote:

Just remember those black round things are rather important when it comes to the safety of you and your family.

Absolutely right - that's why I bought very expensive BFGs in the first place.

Thanks all, sounds like in principle they should be fine but condition is the key. I'll make a very close inspection at the time. Fully Restored 89 110 CSW V8

CLS 350 CDI for the sensible stuff
Post #123670 13th Feb 2012 5:12pm
ZeDefender

scamp wrote:
all the tyres showed a manufacturing date of 1989

That's a very good point! When the German TÜV say 10 years for commercials, they mean from the date of manufacture Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #123731 13th Feb 2012 9:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1