↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma EGR strategy?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mturri

2006 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
Puma EGR strategy?
Helping out a neighbor in trying to determine the causes behind extremely poor fuel economy on his Puma.

Bought the additional license required to use my Nanocom Evo on the Puma engine & upon interrogating the ECU found the usual EGR related DTCs (stuck open, stuck closed, etc.) so will tackle that first.

Also took some live data recordings and for the life of me cannot make out how the EGR works. One minute it appears to be wide open while idle, the other is only partially open under exactly the same conditions. It tends to close as engine load increases but then does not seem to follow a logical pattern.

The EGR will be certainly pulled out and cleaned/greased in the immediate term, and possibly remapped shut in the future, but would like to understand how the dreaded thing is supposed to work any how, is it managed based on engine load, fuel request, MAP, TPS %, etc.

Thanks ahead of time.
Post #123028 10th Feb 2012 3:56pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Alive Tuning

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
The EGR system on puma will modulate quite a lot at idle, as it does at part throttle positions when cruising.

Upon acceleration, the EGR should snap shut to help give you as much air as possible for increased engine performance. If you rev the car from idle, you'll see it goes to 0% as it pulls its settings from deeper within the egr maps.

I am sure you are aware we can close off the EGR with our remaps, or disable it completely.

Regards,

Gary.
Post #123033 10th Feb 2012 4:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mturri

Thank you for the insight!

Rgds
Matt
Post #123162 11th Feb 2012 1:17am
Lorryman100

Have a look at this post I did on the EGR closed upgrade from Alive tuning. Included in the post is some live data videos showing the EGR operating through the rev range and may help you to understand its workings more. Thumbs Up

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic10564....tuning+egr
Post #123165 11th Feb 2012 1:54am
mturri

Lorryman100 wrote:
Have a look at this post I did on the EGR closed upgrade from Alive tuning. Included in the post is some live data videos showing the EGR operating through the rev range and may help you to understand its workings more. Thumbs Up

Very helpful indeed! Thanks much!

One other thing that caught my attention on the subject Puma was that fuel temp was steady at 35 °C (driving around town with engine at normal op temp), would have expected fuel temp to be noticeable higher and also somewhat sensitive to varying fueling conditions... will start a new thread on this one though.

Rgds
Matt
Post #123167 11th Feb 2012 2:42am
Lorryman100

When you consider the fuel temp readings with the Puma, you may also have to take a few other things into account as well. Firstly there is no separate fuel lift pump on the Puma as the main pump does the lifting from the tank so no rise in temp through the operation of an electric pump. Also the fuel is not in the high pressure side of the fuel system for very long so the heat transfer from a hot engine would be minimal whilst driving. The fuel return to the tank through the fuel cooler may raise the tank temp but the volume of returned fuel may be negligible in relation to raising the temp? What was the ambient air temp during the test? The only time I would expect to see a rise in the fuel temp from the ambient tank temp would be once it entered the HP side of the pump and heat being generated by the pressure and also a little rise from the radiated heat of the engine whilst driving normally. I would expect to see a higher than normal temp once the engine was shut down when at operating temp, then the fuel temp in the rail would rise as well due to the hot engine, and I would only be conscious of this rise because the fuel temp sensor is in the fuel rail. I would be curious of the results if you should look into this in more detail so please post your findings. Thumbs Up
Post #123211 11th Feb 2012 1:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1