↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 uncomfortable?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
TDfive

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Java Black
Setok wrote:
Well, it seems like I'll get a chance to try a TD5 van in a while, so I can get back to you all then.

Money is obviously a concern and a second hand TD5 is much more in my potential range right now, if i reckon I can live with it. Winter temperatures in Finland can reach -15C to -20C in the south, and even -30 or less up north. Something to consider, and I think many here have added supplementary heaters to TD5s. As mentioned, it's not the heating up period that concerns me as much as freezing for 300km...

You're right about the aircon. I never felt any real need to have that. Summer can be hot, of course, but I reckon opening a vent would do the job OK as we're not driving through Africa. In pictures the aircon does seem to take up a lot of space.

i have a winter pack in mine ie; heated front and rear screen and heated seats they more than make up for the heater in the td5 Wink i know it dont get quite as cold as you get Bow down but a nice warm bum and back makes ya feel a whole lot mor comfortable -------------------------------------------------------
05 110 crew cab td5
1987 90 tc TD/200TDI DISCO CONVERTION
Post #8671 20th Mar 2009 7:57pm
Setok

Finland 
Well, today I had a chance to drive in a TD5 and I'm happy to say that any nightmares were unfounded. Yes, it was more uncomfortable than a TDCi, and a bit noisier, but the difference wasn't enough to take away from the fact that it was still a great car. This has happened before: I read the reports and have these nightmare scenarios in mind, but the reality is completely different. Or maybe most people (or journalists) are wussies? Smile

On to the points:

* The seating definitely felt closer to the door. I'm almost certain of that. It's weird because there was loads of space on the inside side of the seat, so there's really no reason it would necessarily have to be that way.

* I think the steering wheel is also closer to the door, and it was more obvious it was at an angle to the body, possibly because of the seating position.

* I'm 6'3" and wasn't too bothered by leg room.

* The engine noise was louder, but not really an issue. Mind you, I didn't get to drive at 120kph, but tried my best to simulate that by driving in 4th at around 90kph. Then it was perfectly easy to have a conversation. But, as I've mentioned, I drive a Caterham 7 and that's much, much, much louder.

* Lack of RPM gauge was a mild bother.

* Flaps were fantastic, as was the more hardcore dashboard.

* The temperature outside was about 5C and windy. I eventually had to turn the heater down. I just don't like driving in a car too warm. It makes me feel drowsy and less alert. I wasn't wearing a coat, but was obviously otherwise dressed for the somewhat chilly weather. I think the heater could do with adjustment as any position above "max heat" basically dealt cool air. Apparently bad cable adjustment is very common in old Defender heaters. Still, at that temperature: not a problem. It took a while to heat up, but that's OK. I didn't even use the heated seats (and this was a van bodied Defender).

* The heater fan seemed very weak, even on the highest position (assuming it's the lever to the right of the steering wheel which adjusts it). Even my old Mini blows harder, so maybe something clogging up the fan on that.

* OTOH the fan on the air conditioning unit could blow your hair off, but that seemed to be only cool air.

* Pedals felt pretty much the same. Gears definitely more vague, but OK.

* It felt like the car was swinging a bit more than the D90 TDCi I tested. Different suspension, I guess.

All in all would I be happy using a TD5, driving distances in it, carrying stuff? Absolutely. I quickly began to feel pretty comfortable driving it and was sorry to let it go. I would probably prefer a TDCi, and it's definitely more comfortable and easy, but the TD5 was quite fine and drivable and I think people are just far too pampered these days. You can hear the engine noise in a TD5, but it won't spoil any heated debates. I didn't feel exhausted after a 2 hour run, and could easily have gone on for longer. It really wasn't that bad at all.
Post #9880 18th Apr 2009 12:04am
EdF

Scotland 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Hi Guys, I thought I'd chip in my six pennorth to this thread, my first post on this forum. I'm on my 16th and 17th Landies (sad, I know), a 90 TD5 and a Disco3. It's my eighth of the former and first of the latter. I've spent a good deal of time trying to make 90's more comfortable and may have got this one about as good as possible within reason. It has Bilstein black shocks all round, new RR1 springs on the front and standard springs on the back. I tried Disco1 springs on the back but the ride was too low, and soggy with a load in the back.. (don't quote me, it may be Disco 1 springs on the front, doh!). With standard suspension and only 23k on the clock, hitting a small pothole was like driving over a kerb at 50mph. Much better now..
After eight 90's I can assure you that the heater output varies a LOT between motors.
As with my previous two 90 TD5's, I had the final drive ratio changed to that of a Disco2 at Ashcrofts in Luton (c.£600), which makes it much quieter and (IMHO) doesn't affect towing,(Disco2's don't have any bother towing..) and it'll do 90mph in 4th gear (only tried once!) in standard tune. And I tow a very heavy horse trailer with nag/s quite often.
If you would like better(?) suspension, I know someone who will convert a 90 to air suspension for £2500 with 10 inches of travel.
I can't comment on the newer 90 Transit as I've never driven one, but isn't choosing between the two down to price? One can buy a cheap TD5 but not a cheap TDCi..? I've never had a problem with any TD5, and I've also had two Disco2 TD5's.. If you need more 90 legroom, a company called MUD sell a bulkhead removal bar to remove the bulkhead behind the seats and also new seat rails which give loads of legroom.. Being 5'10" I don't need either.. Make the most of this life, you may not have skis or a Landy in the next.
Post #12235 22nd Jun 2009 9:34pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
Welcome EdF - skis & Landys = agreed. Thumbs Up

Just out of interest - I think the Pumas have Disco 1 springs all-round, SWs anyway...
The ride is definitely more supple than my last 90 (a 50th, which may have different springs again to a standard 90), but it doesn't corner as 'flat'.
With my back though, I'm happy with the compromise.
Post #12249 23rd Jun 2009 11:21am
EdF

Ah, the Disco springs would make it a bit softer. It's strange how some people react to non-standard changes. I posted a thread on another forum about what I'd done and someone replied that he thought my 90 would 'throw itself off the road' because I had fitted softer springs and implied that it didn't because I had anti-roll bars (standard on mine). There seems to be a notion amongst some owners that one should fit heavy duty springs to any 90,no matter what it's used for, but the fact is that a 90 HAS heavy duty springs - for a Discovery - fitted as standard.. And the Disco 2 weighs 400Kg more than a 90.. He was basing his theory on a ride he had had in someone else's 90, which had softer springs - probably worn-out ones.. A pal I sold an earlier 90 to also found Disco2 springs too soft on the back, something I found too, but considering the weight of the two vehicles, I found that surprising. New springs from Paddocks are remarkably cheap, from as little as £9. Need the correct length and rate though.. This may be interesting to some.. Passed down from the compiler. http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html Make the most of this life, you may not have skis or a Landy in the next.
Post #12259 23rd Jun 2009 4:03pm
Ads90

Definitely need the anti-roll bars, mine being a County didn't have them as standard - I test drove it and scared myself at the first roundabout! Had them fitted straight away.
I would guess that so long as the shocks were matched to the spring rates, softer or harder would be ok according to preference/usage? I could never understand why LR couldn't make a 90 more supple as standard without compromising the load carrying capability. Maybe it would need a Boge or similar...
The latest changes to spring and shocks have helped, only slightly though, and at minimal cost I suppose!

On this note, I'm guessing a TD5 can have the later Puma shocks and springs added without worrying about insurance implications?
Post #12286 24th Jun 2009 9:45am
EdF

Don't know how you would match shocks to spring rates, it all seems a case of 'suck it and see'. When trawling through after market Land Rover suspension ads, all you find is 'heavy duty this and 2 inch lift that', no mention of comfort anywhere. Is it assumed everyone drives offroad? You're right, Land Rover assume everyone buying a 90/110 is either a municipal authority, the armed forces or a farmer wishing to tow a trailer full of pigs over a field and to market. As far as I know, the only concession they ever made to normal mortals was to put Disco final drive gearing into 'County' models (I had one, a V8, and it was 'supple', only because the bushes were shot!) but they no longer do that any longer. (but I don't know about the Puma mdels, too new for me...) Make the most of this life, you may not have skis or a Landy in the next.
Post #12288 24th Jun 2009 9:55am
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
Ads90 wrote:
Definitely need the anti-roll bars, mine being a County didn't have them as standard - I test drove it and scared myself at the first roundabout! Had them fitted straight away.

Anti roll bars come on a county if you tick the option box for the Boost alloys when ordering Thumbs Up
Post #12293 24th Jun 2009 11:20am
Ads90

Sonic3d wrote:
Anti roll bars come on a county if you tick the option box for the Boost alloys when ordering Thumbs Up

That follows - mine is on steels.
Wonder what the thinking is behind that... alloys make you corner faster?
Suppose it's to help keep the cost of the basic models down.
Post #12296 24th Jun 2009 1:03pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
Hope they did`nt charge you to much for the anti roll bars, as the boost option c/w roll bars is about £800
Post #12298 24th Jun 2009 1:28pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
EdF wrote:
Don't know how you would match shocks to spring rates, it all seems a case of 'suck it and see'. When trawling through after market Land Rover suspension ads, all you find is 'heavy duty this and 2 inch lift that', no mention of comfort anywhere. Is it assumed everyone drives offroad? You're right, Land Rover assume everyone buying a 90/110 is either a municipal authority, the armed forces or a farmer wishing to tow a trailer full of pigs over a field and to market. As far as I know, the only concession they ever made to normal mortals was to put Disco final drive gearing into 'County' models (I had one, a V8, and it was 'supple', only because the bushes were shot!) but they no longer do that any longer. (but I don't know about the Puma mdels, too new for me...)

After driving many Land Rovers all shapes and sizes, I would say that a good HD shock and spring package is worth its weight in gold. I have a 91 Discovery and I changed a 1 year old set of L/R shocks and springs for a HD setup and the change was amazing- I do off-road but the handling on the road is comparable to a later Discovery with ARBs. The army's wolf land rovers also corner a lot better than a regular one, and that has a HD option- but now been pushed to use ARBs because of the excess weitght in the back. Once my puma is out of its warranty I will be looking at a HD package- not neccesarily a lift but deffo HD.

It also isn't harsh on bumps- if anything it is more bareable.

Glyn.
Post #12299 24th Jun 2009 1:59pm
Ads90

Sonic3d wrote:
Hope they did`nt charge you to much for the anti roll bars, as the boost option c/w roll bars is about £800

I bought mine 2nd hand from a LR dealer - the fitting of the ARBs was negotiated in the purchase deal (after aforementioned test drive!)...

IIRC the LR stock charge for retro-fitting ARBs is £500.

Agree that if buying from new, it wouldn't make sense to add ARBs to the options without alloys, although if you were going for the 'heritage' look (which mine has) and didn't want alloys (or to roll like a 2CV) I'm sure you could get them thrown in.
Post #12305 24th Jun 2009 4:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123