↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > 300tdi Disco diff/wheel bearing noise - help needed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CFB

United Kingdom 
300tdi Disco diff/wheel bearing noise - help needed
Yes wrong form and I know it's virtually an antique now but my 300tdi Disco 1 is playing up and I'm wondering if anyone here can help pinpoint the issue?

Basically it's started to make a loud droning noise at anything over about 15mph, sounds similar to a wheel bearing on its way out which I suppose it could be but I jacked the car up and there is no play in the wheel bearings at all. The oil in the diff case was a little low so I topped it up but the droning is still there. Do diffs tend to make this noise when they are on their way out as I haven't experienced it before? Alternatively can a wheel bearing make this noise even if there is no play in it?

The noise is much louder when applying power, if I lift off and let it coast it really subsides, does this mean it's more likely to be the diff than a wheel bearing as the road speed doesn't change that much but the load on the diff obviously does? Also, on the motorway yesterday, if I lift off the power the car veers quite sharply to the right, if I re-apply power it pulls back to the left.

Hoping someone can help Andy
Post #117054 20th Jan 2012 3:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Sounds like the diff to me,

The wheel bearings can be noisy without play, you would nomaly feel it whilst spinning the wheel, but that may mean removing the brake pads tho. The noise/feel of wheel bearing would normaly alter as you steer left or right, but would not alter on power on/off. The diff on the other hand would, it also controls the power to each wheel so if failing would not give even distribution of drive so could cause the pull you are experiencing.

Start by spinning each wheel, but if you feel nothing, drain diff of oil, and look for metal.

Good luck

Andy
Post #117230 21st Jan 2012 10:16am
Mountain_man

Wales 
Could also be the rubber donut on the prop or one of the UJs. Chock the front wheels on the level and (important) let the hand brake off and leave it in neutral. Get underneath and wiggle the props while looking for play. Use a lever to help and see if there is any movement at all in the joint (front and rear props). Any movement will indicate a new UJ is needed. Any damage to the rubber donut and you wuill need a new one. Any sign of oil on the nose of the diff especially if accompanied with even a small amount of play on the input shaft and you would be will to fit new pinion bearings & seal. But check the UJs first...
Post #117238 21st Jan 2012 10:43am
CFB

United Kingdom 
Diagnosis is in, rear diff is shot, collecting a second hand one tomorrow for £60 from a local LR breakers so not too painful! Andy
Post #118156 24th Jan 2012 5:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1