↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Hire car warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Hire car warning
Thought this might save a life. This is the tyre a certain hire car company in Glasgow sent me and my family out on at night a few years ago. Since it was pitch black and having zero excess I was too stupid to check:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

When it blew out they actually charged my card for the recovery Shocked It took me months to get the money back Evil or Very Mad
No offer of compensation... of course Mad

I won't name the company in question but I can say they are heavily sponsored by a certain cheap airline with an orange logo. I'd had a few bad experiences with them before but was always too lazy to look for alternatives... before this.

I've switched to Hertz now - great so far - but I ALWAYS take a torch with me and check the tyres thoroughly even if I have zero excess.

Matt

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...

Last edited by ZeDefender on 15th Jan 2012 9:11am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #115516 15th Jan 2012 9:04am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Somebody should have been shown the door for that Shocked
Post #115517 15th Jan 2012 9:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
When I finally managed to speak to a human, I was told that the hire company wasn't responsible because they contract the actual cars from another company and the staff from somewhere else...
Never touching them again, even if my life depended on it - er - forget that last bit Rolling Eyes Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #115520 15th Jan 2012 9:15am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Many years ago I was asked to go help some people who had hired a 'car transporter' from a well know three letter tool hire company.

Despite them being told it was for transporting a Range Rover and given the weight of vehicle, trailer supplied was under rated and basically illegal for road use. The service plate was several years out of date, lights did not work, over run brakes did not work, wheels had been 'kerbed' so often the wheels tracking was all over the place.

So care has to be taken to hire from a respectable company. Remember the driver is liable for condition of vehicle and trailer!

Brendan
Post #115522 15th Jan 2012 9:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1