↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Choose your Intercooler carefully!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
dgardel

Italy 
AlliSport Andy wrote:
This post has been brought to my attention and I feel that I need to reply personally. I’d like to point out that for me to be writing on a forum means I feel very strongly about it!
AlliSport manufactures and sells over 2000 intercoolers per year (that’s just TD5 models) mostly to the trade and I am the first to admit we had a batch of between 20-30 around 4 years ago that suffered from splitting on a weld. (The failure was purely down to changing one of our processes and was quickly rectified)
Two points here – One is that ALL of these coolers with splits were REPLACED FREE OF CHARGE as and when the problem arose, without any questions about installation issues or super high boost being used. I believe the intercooler in question here was part of that batch looking at the photos. All our coolers are tested to 3 bar and we offer a 10 year repair/replace promise.
Second point is that we have never been contacted regarding this problem! Surely if you had paid £400+ for an a product and it had an issue, you would give the supplier a chance to deal with it?
After our “glitch” batch we have suffered possibly a 1% failure rate. All manufacturers suffer a degree of failure, just look at Land rover themselves!
You will notice that I repeatedly say manufactured, this is because we actually make everything we sell; it is designed, manufactured and tested from conception to realisation in-house. There are very few other companies who can honestly say this.
My main point regarding this is that in the 11 years we have been in business, we have repaired and replaced intercoolers, maps and exhausts fitted to cars from every other company/competitor of ours, and I mean EVERY one. We do not make a big fuss about it, we just concentrate on learning from ours and other peoples mistakes and design flaws, thus improving our own products to make them as good as possible and hopefully the best on the market. I can safely say that last year alone, we have repaired split intercoolers sold by every competitor but I am not one to be specific…….
Bear in mind the many well-known and respected companies that are happy to trust and to sell our products, many of whom sell non-branded AlliSport intercoolers and other products as their own and you never know. 60% of our market is export and trade.
I see James from 4x4 Adventures asked the question – what did Andrew say about this?
Well, I haven’t had the chance to say much about it directly to the customer as I have not been contacted, but given the opportunity, I would offer the same response as always – we will offer a free of charge collection, repair or replacement.

Happy to be your customer (your Puma intercooler bought from Pete Bell)....

....and it is not a big problem, it is not difficult to do the weld again, better if the intercooler part is warmed-up a little.....

Daniele Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #113977 10th Jan 2012 12:39am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Drover

Australia 
1 vote for AlliSport

I have had my AlliSport intercooler for just over 12 months now.

The build quality is simply outstanding, it doesn't get any better.

My PUMA with the intercooler has been across the Simpson Desert and is about to head off to Cape York.

The temp in Aus gets hot and that puts extra heat and strain on the vehicle and all of its components, if the intercooler was going to fail it will fail here first, but I am not expecting any problems.

Thanks to Andy at AlliSport, pleasure to deal with, even when I am 17,000K's away.

Cheers
Grant

PS : It is not appropriate to slag off a supplier when you don’t have any first hand knowledge. It is great to promote a company who does good work and tell everybody about your experiences, but not at the expense of others.
Post #113985 10th Jan 2012 3:26am
pouf

Greece 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Re: Choose your Intercooler carefully!
Zinke wrote:

Click image to enlarge

a friend of mine with TD5 had same problem with his Allisport intercooler.
It was replaced free of charge and free of shipping.

This is a PROFESSIONAL attitude Thumbs Up www.newfoundland.gr
Post #114003 10th Jan 2012 9:11am
BIGFOG

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I'm a very happy Allisport customer too, great products and great service.

It may be viable to give bad press on this/our forum to a supplier who had failed to offer any customer support where his product had failed, but in this instance, there are enough of us who know and use Allisport's products, service and knowledge to our benefit, that this time Allisport can come out on top and hopefully benefit as a result of a hollow and unfounded attempt to slur their reputation! And so say I !! Thumbs Up 2009 XS 110 Utility Stornaway Grey
BAS re Remap, BAS Turbo, BAS Spec Modified Airbox, Twisted Side exit Decat Exhaust, Allisport Cooler and Hoses, OME Sport Shocks, Kangaroo Paw Discs.
2001 Discovery II
Porsche Speedster Replica 1956ish
Post #114167 10th Jan 2012 11:43pm
Drover

Australia 
BIGFOG wrote:
I'm a very happy Allisport customer too, great products and great service.

It may be viable to give bad press on this/our forum to a supplier who had failed to offer any customer support where his product had failed, but in this instance, there are enough of us who know and use Allisport's products, service and knowledge to our benefit, that this time Allisport can come out on top and hopefully benefit as a result of a hollow and unfounded attempt to slur their reputation! And so say I !! Thumbs Up

Hip Hip Thumbs Up
Post #114187 11th Jan 2012 3:50am
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Just thought i needed to say a bit more as i started this. I was by no means trying to give AliSport bad press, i was just reporting what i had seen. Ive used some AliSport products in the past and have been more than impressed with them and im sure that if the guy (who i dont know and have never seen before or after) with the failed AliSport intercooler had gone back to them they would of sorted it out no problems at all. All i was doing was reporthing what i saw and over heard in the workshop as i picked up my own intercooler.

So i would like to apologise to Andy from AliSport, maybe i could of chosen a better tittle for my post. All manufactures suffer from bad batches of items, just look at land rover, but its how its dealt with thats the important bit and im more than sure all the sponsors of this site look after there customers very well.

As for me PERSONALLY im more than happy with the intercooler i bought, i can really tell its been fitted. Not massive amounts of extra power from fitting it as was expected but it just seems a lot sweeter. Cant wait to get some mileage done and see what happens to the fuel consumption.

Pete.
Post #114271 11th Jan 2012 1:25pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BIGFOG

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Thanks Pete, maybe you're not such a bad bloke after all?!LOL:thumbsup: 2009 XS 110 Utility Stornaway Grey
BAS re Remap, BAS Turbo, BAS Spec Modified Airbox, Twisted Side exit Decat Exhaust, Allisport Cooler and Hoses, OME Sport Shocks, Kangaroo Paw Discs.
2001 Discovery II
Porsche Speedster Replica 1956ish
Post #114462 11th Jan 2012 10:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12