↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > diesel leak after filling then stopped....?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ngarigo

Ireland 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
diesel leak after filling then stopped....?
so, i filled the tank this afternoon on my puma 90, mY11, and with not paying attention to what i was doing the result was the tank being filled to the brim... totally... but no spillage... of that i am sure...

after coming out from paying i noticed a substantial dripping leak from off the right underside of the fuel tank.... seemingly coming from somewhere higher i could not see... couple of hundred mils i'd say in total was dumped, but then after a couple of minutes it stopped and has been fine since...???

my question is this... could the tank have been dumping excess fuel from an overfilled tank... is there a valve that would do this...? or do i have a leak...? Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

'Wow...! What a ride!

MY11 90
Post #113190 7th Jan 2012 1:23pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
If filled to the brim then the cause/cure for yoyr leak might be the jubilee clips need tightening on the rubber hose from filler neck to main tank. Probably the lower clip. Could have about 2 litres of fuel in that pipe, dumped that on the floor and it would look like a mess.

Brendan
Post #113194 7th Jan 2012 2:00pm
richuk

United Kingdom 
Mine does the same thing, just assumed it was overflow and am careful not to overfill nowadays. But after reading Brendan's advice I will go and check hose clips. Rich

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat
Post #113198 7th Jan 2012 2:34pm
xatzhs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I had the same thing and had the air filter replaced, I think it was something to do with that. Since then I haven't filled up past when it first clicks back and haven't had the problem again!

Quite awkward when the guy behind you comes up and reminds you that your car is ' Censored fuel' whilst you're paying!
Post #113230 7th Jan 2012 5:05pm
Lorryman100

You don't have a leak as such. The fuel tank breather pipe comes to just above the top level of the tank meaning when you fill right to the brim the fuel in the filler pipe is at a higher level than the breather which results in the excess fuel being drained through the breather until the fuel reaches the same level. LR had a fix out for this by extending the fuel tank breather pipe up to behind the OS rear light cluster.

If you look at the first picture you will see the breather, No6 in the diagram.

Click image to enlarge

The large pipe opening in the tank then receives the filler feed pipe and then the actual filler including the cap. If you look at the height of the filler then at the height of the breather you will see what I am getting at.

Click image to enlarge

HTH Brian.
Post #113310 7th Jan 2012 8:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
Since the 90 is a my11 plate I would have assumed that the LR fix had been done.

I know when we fitted a wing tank we had difficulty fastening that bottom clip number 6 in second diagram.

So check both inside light.

Brendan cluster and clips
Post #113330 7th Jan 2012 9:34pm
Lorryman100

Fair point Brendan, but in your scenario the leak would not stop after a few 100ml as the OP stated. The tank filler pipe receiver is 2/3 of the way up from the base of the tank, meaning you would lose the top 3rd volume of fuel if that union was loose, or am I missing something?
Post #113336 7th Jan 2012 9:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
Ditto fair point Brian.

Bust admit I read a couple of hundred mils wrongly.

So would that make it the top clip which is above tank level?

Anyway he has some pointers to look at.

Brendan
Post #113346 7th Jan 2012 10:09pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
The bit with the 180 degree bend can easily come off its clip. When it does, it hangs down and if the tank is brimmed fuel will leak from it.

The fix is easy, you jsut clip it back or cable tie it up. I went one further and attached a full length breather along the chassis rail and up into the engine bay. Just didn't want the crappy thing to get blocked and cause an issue. No problems after that.
Post #113350 7th Jan 2012 10:20pm
ngarigo

Ireland 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Santorini Black
hey chaps... just woke up here in the land of oz and feel such relief... cheers for the replies... really appreciate it Very Happy Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...

'Wow...! What a ride!

MY11 90
Post #113393 8th Jan 2012 2:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1