↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Fuel Filler Cover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
dm_td5

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Defendoor, thanks for the reply. I've got one question:

How good is it at keeping fine dust out of the filler area?

In the dry season down here dust is the biggest problem and so conversely to what you describe I end up with a fuel filler that's got lots of dust (not snow) all around it and needs to be thoroughly cleaned before filling. 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

LROCV ::: AULRO.com
Post #7966 4th Mar 2009 11:22am
Defendoor

Czech Republic 
nicks wrote:
They are a good fit, i can't see any movement at 85mph. but also easy to remove. How do you go about painting them Defendoor?

The Defendoor cover cannot be painted. The LDPE -FR material resists everything including paint. I have tried a number of primers and paints and sent the covers to two professional painters to no avail. I can order material in any color but \I must place a minimum order of 1 ton - 10000 pieces - and it¨s more expensive.

dm_td5 wrote:
Defendoor, thanks for the reply. I've got one question:

How good is it at keeping fine dust out of the filler area?

In the dry season down here dust is the biggest problem and so conversely to what you describe I end up with a fuel filler that's got lots of dust (not snow) all around it and needs to be thoroughly cleaned before filling.

I have sent a great number to Australia but do not know how they work with dust. I know that it is very difficult to protect against dust and a good wind. The cover does however have a 360 degree seal and should keep a great percentage if not all dust out.
Post #7980 4th Mar 2009 1:50pm
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
Got my filler cover this morning.

Now to try it out!

Daz110
Post #8093 5th Mar 2009 4:10pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Defendoor - welcome and thanks for the constructive replies.

I'm impressed. In fact I'm going to buy one. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #8111 5th Mar 2009 8:34pm
Trevor Wright

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Ordered mine on Wednesday morning via eBay for 6.40 UK pounds, arrived two days later on Friday midday.

Well packed, good quality of finish (slight textured outer face and smooth inside), and snapped into place on my '08 90 XS SW. Very smart as well as useful in keeping the dirt out.

Only improvements I can see so far could be an internal hole/loop for a retaining strap and possibly a slightly larger extended lip in the bottom edge to assist leverage on removal - a potential nail snapper for lady members or you chaps with nice manicured nails.

Overall, I'd say a "must have" inexpensive, practical and cosmetically enhancing accessory/present to buy for your favourite truck. Trevor Wright
'08 90 TDCi/TD4 XS SW
Post #8137 6th Mar 2009 2:04pm
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
nicks,were did you get yours from 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #8140 6th Mar 2009 3:04pm
nicks

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
drinking and ebaying one night !
Post #8141 6th Mar 2009 3:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dm_td5

Well I received mine today - Thanks Mark!

I'll post up how it goes though it won't see any dust for a while as we still have a monsoon trough sitting over us and its been raining heavily on and off for 4 days now. Definitely going to get a work out on some branches and scrub next weekend. I'll post up some pic's when I get a chance to get out and play next weekend. 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

Post #8466 16th Mar 2009 9:40am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I've had one of these in place for a week now.

First thoughts:
    * It looks very smart. My wife reckons it tidies up the side quite nicely. I think it is only one colour, which works well on a dark vehicle (mine's Tonga green) but will obviously stand out more on white or red.
    * It seems well stuck on. I've driven several motorway journeys with it this week and so far no issues. I've also jetwashed it quite aggressively and hardly any water got inside - it certainly wasn't blown off.
    * It has a nice "Defender" simplicity to it - no moving parts, no frills.
    * It is dead easy to put on and take off. The main thing, of course, is that it isn't a pain in the b*m when filling up. I can report that it isn't.

Overall I'd say it is a great, simple, cheap mod that does what it says on the tin. In fact, I'm going to get a couple more for friends who have Defenders (I don't think it'd fit on a series...).

Thumbs Up One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #8481 16th Mar 2009 2:48pm
Defendoor

Czech Republic 
Thank you for all of the kind words about my idea.

Trevor Wright wrote:
Ordered mine on Wednesday morning via eBay for 6.40 UK pounds, arrived two days later on Friday midday.

Well packed, good quality of finish (slight textured outer face and smooth inside), and snapped into place on my '08 90 XS SW. Very smart as well as useful in keeping the dirt out.

Only improvements I can see so far could be an internal hole/loop for a retaining strap and possibly a slightly larger extended lip in the bottom edge to assist leverage on removal - a potential nail snapper for lady members or you chaps with nice manicured nails.

Overall, I'd say a "must have" inexpensive, practical and cosmetically enhancing accessory/present to buy for your favourite truck.

I was working on both the internal loop for a tether and a better grip. We had tried every glue imaginable to find that nothing holds to this type of material. I found the service of a company who work with 'ultrasound welding' here is the result...

Click image to enlarge

A simple strip of flexible LDPE bent over forming a tether loop and a tab at the bottom. How simple can you get? You can connect a tether if you wish and you can leave the tab hanging out or tuck it away and hidden inside.

Unfortunately it didn't hold. Back to square one.

Here is an easy idea if you want a fix. I burnt two slots with the hot tip of a screwdriver and pulled one of those zip tie straps through. It can be tied to a tether and also forms a grip.

Post #8538 17th Mar 2009 4:32pm
foz.in.oz

Australia 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
Mine turned up the other day. Thanks again Defendoor. The colour even matches my car (well very close).

I've tried it on the highway and it's still there. We have a trip coming up in easter that will include some corrugations so I will see how it goes on that.

There is a problem with it though. All the dirt around the fuel filler is trapped behind it. Laughing Laughing Maybe I should have washed the car first. Rolling Eyes Land Rovers are an addiction. Toyotas are for quitters.

WWW.CQLROC.ORG
Post #8557 17th Mar 2009 10:10pm
dm_td5

Works very well
No pictures - I keep forgetting to snap one off before I wash the Puma Rolling Eyes

What I can say is it stays on pushing through scrub and definitely keeps the very fine dust, dirt, mud and everything else out. Can't speak about ice and snow as it never gets any colder than 15C here (and that's only one night of the year!). I'm very impressed overall with it.

I'm going to be doing the track (there's only one) out of town in a couple of months - this is about 630km of dusty, corrugated dirt track, before hitting sealed road. So that will be the big test of how good it is with keeping dust out.

Great product! 110 2.4TDCi
110 300Tdi

Post #9845 17th Apr 2009 10:55am
Ratty

England 
I bought one of these from defendoor a month or two back. So far I've wedged my landy in tight lanes and waded it over bonnet hieght and as yet haven't managed to knock it off. I was dubious about it getting nicked but as yet the thieving sods don't seem to want to get their hands dirty. Laughing

I'm looking forward to his new range of goodies coming out.

Click image to enlarge

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm77/landrover110/dorset recce march 14th 2009/?action=view&current=S6000822.flv

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #9932 20th Apr 2009 4:29am
foz.in.oz

Australia 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
I've had the cover in now for two months. I have taken my car just about everywhere, corrugated gravel roads, highways, scrub and sand trails in sunshine and rain. I even tipped my car on it's side Crying or Very sad and the little plastic cover performed admirably. The fuel cap area is still as dirty as the day I put in on Confused and no more, and it hasn't budged a micron. Excellent piece of engineering Defendoor. Thumbs Up

Just one other thing about it which you may not know. It serves as an excellent keeper tray to put your fuel cap on when filling up in dusty areas. Smile Land Rovers are an addiction. Toyotas are for quitters.

WWW.CQLROC.ORG
Post #10903 14th May 2009 10:07pm
sib

got one foe a 130 double cab (different style filler) ??

looks good and would be great at keeping snow off.. Sib
Bath UK
1952 80 inch
1973 88 inch
2018 Morgan plus 4 narrow body
Post #10913 15th May 2009 9:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>