↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Long term diesel storage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Mike - do you have switch from winter to summer spec Diesels in Greece like in the UK?

Our CFPP goes from -5 to -15 for winter spec..... Just thinking about the timing of when you stockpile against when you want to use it. Not much point storing summer spec for use in the coldest winter. Thumbs Up You can in theory cut it with Kerosene to help prevent waxing but that practice is illegal in the UK as then Mr tax man misses out on road fuel duty. I would imagine same in Greece. If you do have a spec change then it probably makes more sense to stockpile winter grade.

Personally, I'd avoid all forecourt grades unless you can get some clarity on the additive and bio content. Some EU governments stockpile diesel for 18-24 months at least before they 'turn' it for quality purposes, but there are no fancy additives in there and pretty sure no or very little bio content. Could you call up somebody like Hellenic Petroleum and get some advice from their techy people and then maybe get a commercial delivery in drums?

When you do come to use it, would suggest that you consider gradually blending it in to your tank with existing fresh fuel, and maybe with a dose of cetane improver if it's been hanging around for a while.

Difficult really as I'm not sure on your motivation for doing it. If its just to protect against future price increases, then I wouldn't bother... .too much of a PITA for the saving you'll make. If you fear shortages in Greece given current economic climate then fair comment but how much realistically do you stockpile ? A fifty gallon drum gives you about 1400 miles I guess at typical'ish mpg..... how many miles do you do in a month ? Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #108144 18th Dec 2011 10:02am
lrMike

Greece 
Quote:
Why not get a proper storage tank (1100 litres) with a filler hose and nozzle?

Problem is that I need money for that. The barrels that I am talking about were used by a friend and now he is giving them for free to me and they are brand new.

Thank you for all the info Jon. We do have winter and summer diesel and I am going to store the winter spec one. I called the Hellenic Petroleum for help but without success Twisted Evil

The motivation came from the analysis of the situation in Europe. Few months ago when the problem was only local plus Ireland and Portugal I didn't really bother but now I strongly believe something big is coming to hit all around Europe. As for the miles per month it will be something around 400. But will also use it for the tractor and who know for what else...

Anyway... I send my best wishes to everybody for the Christmas holidays and I wish I won't have to bother you with my sad thought's about our future.

Mike
Post #108184 18th Dec 2011 4:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12