↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Spotlight relay
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Buzz

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
Spotlight relay
Hi guys, wiring my spotlights up through a relay with the lead going to the main beam dim dip.

Which colour wire do I need to splice into as it would seem if I touch the bare wire on several terminals one after another they all switch with the spotlight or the light stays on permanently.

I can't isolate the correct wire.

Cheers!
Post #101164 20th Nov 2011 3:38pm
Lorryman100

According to the LR fitting instructions, you tap into the Blue/Orange wire on the back of the instrument cluster.

Click image to enlarge

Brian.
Post #101166 20th Nov 2011 3:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
leeds

United Kingdom 
Consider not wiring them through your main dip switch but through a complete separate switch.

Wiring them this way is illegal for road use. However you have a complete separate light circuit then of/when your main light circuit has problems. The main dip switches do burn out!

brendan
Post #101174 20th Nov 2011 4:21pm
Buzz

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
Thanks guys. It was the blue wire with a white tracer in the end. Spliced into that as knowing my luck VOSA would check it if I get stopped.
Post #101181 20th Nov 2011 5:05pm
Jammer600

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Do the original switches burn out even if you wire through a relay? Plus if you wire through dip beam what happens on full?
Post #106106 11th Dec 2011 10:29am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
If someone could help and on a simular vein where can I buy the plug (or a wiring harness without buying a full lighting kit from LR) for the rear of the LR auxillary light switch the only place Ive seen on here before is showing out of stock DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #106118 11th Dec 2011 11:03am
Jammer600

eBay?!!
Post #106136 11th Dec 2011 12:39pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Jammer600 wrote:
Do the original switches burn out even if you wire through a relay? Plus if you wire through dip beam what happens on full?

The original light switches can burn out without extra lights being wired through them.

That is why if people want some additional lights to wire them not through the main light switch. That way you have a completely independent light circuit. Please note having lights wired like this, means they are ILLEGAL TO USE on UK roads. NOT illegal to have fitted to your vehicle,only illegal for road use.

Think carefully of your NEEDS. Generally for road use in UK you do not need masses of extra lights.

YES have experienced light switch burning out. Not nice going around hairpin bends when you suddenly lose your lights. Two seconds later my top lights were on and could safely drive Thumbs Up OK not legal BUT safe!

Brendan
Post #106185 11th Dec 2011 4:57pm
drewster

Wales 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
leeds wrote:
Jammer600 wrote:

The original light switches can burn out without extra lights being wired through them.

That is why if people want some additional lights to wire them not through the main light switch. That way you have a completely independent light circuit. Please note having lights wired like this, means they are ILLEGAL TO USE on UK roads. NOT illegal to have fitted to your vehicle,only illegal for road use.

Think carefully of your NEEDS. Generally for road use in UK you do not need masses of extra lights.

YES have experienced light switch burning out. Not nice going around hairpin bends when you suddenly lose your lights. Two seconds later my top lights were on and could safely drive Thumbs Up OK not legal BUT safe!

Brendan

yes the switch will burn out ( i know as i was 200 miles from home ) if you either use bigger bulbs ie 80/100 or wire through the switch to use sopts as the switch is current loaded not that changeing the switch is to bad its when it burns out ie at night and you have to find in the dark an ignition live to feed the dip beem
Post #106191 11th Dec 2011 5:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jammer600

My switch burnt out when I first got my truck as I put 100/130 bulbs in!! So now have them Phillips ones!! Wink I was under the illusion that if you wired through a relay it would protect your switch? By sorting the amount of power drawn through the switch?
Post #106255 11th Dec 2011 10:54pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
No illusion but fact! By running lighting supply through a relay the activating switch connected to the coil of the relay will only draw the current required to pull in the relay irrespective of what wattage filaments you fit!!!

A few simple equations....Posted previously on other thread(s)....

Voltage = Current (Amps) X Resistance (Ohms)
Therefore Voltage divided by Current (Amps) = Resistance (Ohms)
And so Voltage divided by Resistance (Ohms) = Current (Amps)

Power (Watts) = Current (Amps) X Voltage.
Therefore Power (Watts) divided by Current (Amps) = Voltage
And so Power (Watts) divided by Voltage = Current (Amps)

By using the simple formulas above everybody (well almost) should hopefully be able to figure out circuit protection and current rating of materials to carry out most electrical modifications safely.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #106260 11th Dec 2011 11:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1