↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My New Defender (L663) > ARB Compressor in L663
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 
I’ve managed to cobble together a mount myself so Moo, thanks for your very kind offer but I’m sorted regards a mount.
I do however have an issue with the ARB pressure control which allows control and presets for the pressure. I connect to the PCM with no issues but seem to have no control over anything. My installation is an absolute copy of the fitting instructions but even trying to turn the compressor off is ignored.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It’s laid out just like the instructions except the chuck isn’t remotely plumbed directly into the PRV. I’ve seen an ARB video that shows the single compressor fitted just as I’ve done so shouldn’t be an issue.
I’m assuming that I may have a faulty pressure sensor or solenoid. Anyone here got this system or have any understanding of it?. It looks pretty simple tbh but I can’t fathom out what’s wrong. 24MY D300 130 X-Dynamic HSE Santorini Black
Post #1036744 7th Jun 2024 7:56am
Moo

Ukraine 
Watching this with interest. Not going to US now, off to Athens instead. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1036748 7th Jun 2024 9:44am
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 
I’ve just noticed that you’re in Bath. I bought my Deafender from Melksham. Dick Lovetts to be precise. Still awaiting a replacement screen which should have been done before I collected the car. 🙄
Enjoy Athens. Thumbs Up 24MY D300 130 X-Dynamic HSE Santorini Black
Post #1036754 7th Jun 2024 10:57am
Moo

Ukraine 
I wish I'd got mine from Dick Lovetts. I've been really impressed with the service I've had and so has my daughter. Sadly I bought mine from Lookers Aylesbury. Twisted Evil

I've got a 130 for a day in July when mine is in for repair after Autoglass damaged the scuttle plate fitting a new windscreen. I've got to say, Autoglass have been brilliant sorting it out. Thumbs Up

Anyway, I'm curious as to how I get on with it. I'm still concerned by the length, particularly as I only have street parking in the village. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1036758 7th Jun 2024 12:28pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 
I’ve not had any issues with parking and I live in a London borough. Wall to wall cars. It’s no longer than my old L405 in the body but it does have the wheel in addition. It tends to sit above the bonnet of the car behind. The parking sensors are a good help but the side ladder and lunch box do tend to diminish the view. It feels just the same to drive as it’s the same wheelbase as the 110.
I really love how it does everything. Limo, van, off roader, people carrier and tow car all in one. 👌🏻 24MY D300 130 X-Dynamic HSE Santorini Black
Post #1036775 7th Jun 2024 2:42pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 
Ok so I spoke to Britparts who import the ARB kit and they told me to speak to Andy from 4x4 gear (something like that as I’m old and forget everything). He said it sounded like an issue with the solenoids or pressure switch and to speak to the people who I’d bought it from. I had but they had no clue. I spoke again to my retailer who wanted the whole lot back and they’d send me a new one. I said I’d chopped up the loom to fit my application and I’d send them the PRC, PCM and the pressure switch.
It’s in the post awaiting the replacements.
I’ll keep you posted. 🤞🏻 24MY D300 130 X-Dynamic HSE Santorini Black
Post #1036825 8th Jun 2024 9:20am
Moo

Ukraine 
That's a faff. Curious to see pics of how you installed this and also the wiring. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1036829 8th Jun 2024 9:32am
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 
So far the mount has cost about £12 and includes a bracket from B&Q for £3 as well as some M5 bolts and Nylok nuts. I have some 2mm aluminium sheet (180x130) which I’ve bought a nibbler to cut out and attach to the B&Q bracket. I need to fit a strap from the Ali plate to the suspension tower to triangulate everything although it seems very sturdy.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The switch cutout will be angled to approximately 45° to improve access slightly. The wiring is generally hidden but you can see the connectors hanging dormant. 🥺 24MY D300 130 X-Dynamic HSE Santorini Black
Post #1036831 8th Jun 2024 9:41am
Moo

Ukraine 
Neat and £200 cheaper than mine. Laughing

I think I'm going to go twin compressor for the paddle boards. I've for the bracket so might as well use it. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1036834 8th Jun 2024 10:22am
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 
I assumed you already had the twin setup.
You have the bracket empty at present.
I’ll do a detailed photo post of the wiring when I have a moment without everyone wanting my attention. Pretty simple to do if you have the crimpers, shrink tube etc. 24MY D300 130 X-Dynamic HSE Santorini Black
Post #1036835 8th Jun 2024 10:29am
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 
So as promised, a photo post of my wiring system.

Click image to enlarge

The panels either side below the scuttle need to be removed to allow access for routing and the fuse box. As you look from the front of the car remove the right hand one first by removing the three screw in studs (you’ll need a screwdriver or trim tool) to unscrew then prise out. The fuse box is accessed by pressing the four tabs towards the box itself and lifting as you go to stop it clicking back in place. It’s a fiddle to remove but persevere. I used a piggy back fuse tap (5A) in fuse position 9 of the right hand block. It’s a 5A fuse for the parking radar so nothing that’ll stop you driving if it ever blew. This only feeds the pressure switch and in turn the relay so nothing high powered.

Click image to enlarge

I fed the cable through the panel at the left hand side where there is already a thick rubber grommet type thing for another cable to come through.

Click image to enlarge

The earth was fitted to the top of the suspension turret where the jump start post is.

Click image to enlarge

The main live was taken from the biiiiiig fuse under the black cover adjacent to the O/S wing. I’ve seen YouTubers use this so was easy to undo the nut and slip a loop terminal under and put the nut back on. I did have to nibble a bit of the cover to clear the cable and allow it to snap back into position.

Click image to enlarge

The wires for the pressure switch/sensor

Click image to enlarge

The relay bolted to the bracket.

Click image to enlarge

The switch which will fit to the Ali bracket.

Click image to enlarge

The main power to the compressor.

Hope this helps.
The other loose cables are to do with the separate Bluetooth system which is not operating as yet. 24MY D300 130 X-Dynamic HSE Santorini Black
Post #1036907 9th Jun 2024 1:21pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 
Fitted and working a treat. Really surprised by the performance of the single compressor. Blows tyres up so much more quickly than my old Ring unit. Really chuffed.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Just needs the bracket to be painted satin black and jobs a goodun. 👍🏻🤭 24MY D300 130 X-Dynamic HSE Santorini Black
Post #1037032 10th Jun 2024 4:45pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Very neat. Nice job. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1037060 10th Jun 2024 10:46pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up 24MY D300 130 X-Dynamic HSE Santorini Black
Post #1037106 11th Jun 2024 1:36pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Huwrhys wrote:

Click image to enlarge

That looks great, excellent job Bow down You don't happen to have the dimensions of that plate you have cut, do you? Whistle Coincidently I've just bought a nibbler for another project so it would come in handy for this.

Also is this the compressor you have gone with?

https://www.openroadadventure.co/product-p...ressor-12v

Like you I think the twin compressor is over budget and probably more than I would need Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #1037141 11th Jun 2024 5:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>