↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 2.2: Very stiff clutch normal?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1035271 20th May 2024 10:12pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Do not spray or put any oil on the clutch master cylinder pushrod.

You have two pivots, one that the push rod connects to and one lower. The lower one is the one you can fit a grease nipple to. So with the clutch pedal box lid removed as in picture above use 3 in 1 oil to lubricate the left and right sides of the upper pivot and the left and right side of the lower pivot. You can see the lines where pivots meet the bushes. Use a plastic drinking straw, position on pivot points that need lubricant then drip oil into top of straw and allow to flow. A few drips will do at each point.
Before doing so put rag in footwell to catch any dripping oil.

Depress clutch pedal a few times then oil again and depress pedal a few more times. All should be ok now and do once a year to keep all lubricated well.

Else fit the grease nipple and grease as others have said. Noting that it’s the lower pivot that tends to dry and bind, causing the issues you highlighted.
Post #1035273 20th May 2024 10:17pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That’s an idea, that will make it a bit more wet and speed it up a bit. Grease drying up is a problem too so thats a good idea a bit of light oil as well. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1035277 20th May 2024 10:41pm
Puma_MOG

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Ianh wrote:
Do not spray or put any oil on the clutch master cylinder pushrod.

You have two pivots, one that the push rod connects to and one lower. The lower one is the one you can fit a grease nipple to. So with the clutch pedal box lid removed as in picture above use 3 in 1 oil to lubricate the left and right sides of the upper pivot and the left and right side of the lower pivot. You can see the lines where pivots meet the bushes. Use a plastic drinking straw, position on pivot points that need lubricant then drip oil into top of straw and allow to flow. A few drips will do at each point.
Before doing so put rag in footwell to catch any dripping oil.

Depress clutch pedal a few times then oil again and depress pedal a few more times. All should be ok now and do once a year to keep all lubricated well.

Else fit the grease nipple and grease as others have said. Noting that it’s the lower pivot that tends to dry and bind, causing the issues you highlighted.

Noted and thank you Ian.

I will be honest and say I sprayed a bit of chain oil in the general area. I assume it's best to take the top off and try wiping everything up as best I can before doing as described?
Post #1035287 21st May 2024 5:33am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I would take the lid off the pedal box, it’s only 6 screws, you just need to be careful you don’t drop one.
The lid has a rubber seal so carefully prise the lid off to avoid damaging it.
If there is any of your chain oil on the clutch master cylinder pushrod clean it off as you don’t want any oil getting to and contaminating the MC seals. You can then target the upper and lower pivot ends for lubrication.
Post #1035317 21st May 2024 11:39am
Bunker Spreckels

United Kingdom 
Re: Puma 2.2: Very stiff clutch normal?
Puma_MOG wrote:
Good evening All,

I've finally acquired my Defender which is a 65 reg and only 12k miles. It's never towed and looking at its condition it's clearly been cherished.

I know the clutch pedal feel on these are not eco box light but are they normally really stiff? I have searched the topic and read a lot about boosters etc but nothing specifically about what should be normal. I found one comment stating that the 2.2 already has a lighter spring and if the clutch is stiff that it is a sign that it's likely very worn. Is this true?

I drove a similar mileage 90 last month and its pedal was feather light but the seller stating it was all stock and it only goes stiff with age and/or when it's really worn.

In short, should I be worried that my clutch is likely needing replacing?

Thank you,

P

Hi mate, I bought a 64 plate XS 110 with 50,000 miles a few weeks ago, I was very surprised at how normal the clutch felt, not heavy at all and this is an completely untouched truck. My only issue is the clunky transmission when I get the timing wrong with revs and gear change. I’d prefer it was rock solid but not sure they ever were? I drove a brand new 90 in 2015 and that was clunky too, but tighter feeling in first.
Post #1035940 28th May 2024 9:15pm
Puma_MOG

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Thank you for the feedback.

I applied some lubrication as mentioned in the thread and it has loosened up a bit but still by no means light. I am waiting on the nipple to get some grease in the lower area, as again mentioned in the thread.

As for your clucky transmission, my previous 90 felt like that for the life of me I can't recall but something was changed, perhaps half shafts. Totally transformed how smooth it felt. Plenty on here to read on that topic.

Thank you again
P
Post #1035979 29th May 2024 10:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12